Why is Mel Kiper Being Paid to Sleep on TV for the NFL Draft?

PeachesBackwards

I noticed this too. He rarely spoke and often times looked like he was zoned out or even had his eyes close. Multiple people I was with said something about it at different times as well. Maybe he wasn't feeling well or something?? 

3 minutes ago, PNWjefe said:

I noticed this too. He rarely spoke and often times looked like he was zoned out or even had his eyes close. Multiple people I was with said something about it at different times as well. Maybe he wasn't feeling well or something?? 

He got the SARS

I assume it is because they told him not to talk, there is no reason why he would not be talking unless they told him to give the other guys a chance.  He has been doing this forever so maybe is willing to take a step back and not control the entire broadcast.  

Louis Riddick is awesome though, he is great and has a good football mind.  Surprised he was not given a GM job instead of Mike Mayock, must not of had a great relationship with Gruden I guess.  

No he hasn't. He sucks, and has always sucked. I'm almost sorry I missed this because watching him not talk could actually be entertainment. Total clown. Bill Tobin's "who the hell is Mel Kiper" is still the best moment ESPN ever ever had.

So the Draft as an entertainment product (and thus things like "draft twitter" and "big draft") would not exist without Mel Kiper.  I mean, someone else might have done it but he is the one who did.  So props to him for that.  If his heart's not in it though, he shouldn't have to keep doing it.  If any individual viewer is annoyed by anyone on their draft broadcast, it is not as though we do not have many options of who and where to watch now.

1 hour ago, bomont said:

No he hasn't. He sucks, and has always sucked. I'm almost sorry I missed this because watching him not talk could actually be entertainment. Total clown. Bill Tobin's "who the hell is Mel Kiper" is still the best moment ESPN ever ever had.

He absolutely has earned it. He's the forefather of this whole "Draftnik Community" of guys like McShay, Brugler, Mayock (pre GM). He made this something when it didn't exist. And he did it without the benefit of computers and massive quantities of information and video available at a fingertip. He legit put the work in required to make this an actual job, and regardless of how you feel about his player evaluations, hot takes, etc, that does deserve respect. That was a crazy amount of work to make those books up back in the day. Whether or not you think he actually knows what he is talking about is irrelevant in my opinion, because he's the one who started this for average joe schmoes. 

• Like 9