Why is Mel Kiper Being Paid to Sleep on TV for the NFL Draft?

PeachesBackwards

6 hours ago, Forge said:

He absolutely has earned it. He's the forefather of this whole "Draftnik Community" of guys like McShay, Brugler, Mayock (pre GM). He made this something when it didn't exist. And he did it without the benefit of computers and massive quantities of information and video available at a fingertip. He legit put the work in required to make this an actual job, and regardless of how you feel about his player evaluations, hot takes, etc, that does deserve respect. That was a crazy amount of work to make those books up back in the day. Whether or not you think he actually knows what he is talking about is irrelevant in my opinion, because he's the one who started this for average joe schmoes. 

He’s honestly a spiritual forefather of this site. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So the Draft as an entertainment product (and thus things like "draft twitter" and "big draft") would not exist without Mel Kiper.  I mean, someone else might have done it but he is the one who did.  So props to him for that.  If his heart's not in it though, he shouldn't have to keep doing it.  If any individual viewer is annoyed by anyone on their draft broadcast, it is not as though we do not have many options of who and where to watch now.

First, yeah, someone else would have done it, second, not existing as an "entertainment product" would have been a good thing...he is just one of the many at ESPN who turned sports into a 3-ring circus. Finally, I think most people with enough game film and even a modest clue about football could do at least as good if not a better job than him as a so-called "expert." Also he is IMO a pompous schlep. But anyway, as you say, if he isn't going to put in the effort, he should step aside. Which would be a very good thing. 

11 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So the Draft as an entertainment product (and thus things like "draft twitter" and "big draft") would not exist without Mel Kiper.  I mean, someone else might have done it but he is the one who did.  So props to him for that.  If his heart's not in it though, he shouldn't have to keep doing it.  If any individual viewer is annoyed by anyone on their draft broadcast, it is not as though we do not have many options of who and where to watch now.

Not sure if you are old enoug, but honestly, I view him as something akin to the draftnik version of John Madden. Kiper is the well known,  easy to digest guy for casuals. He's safe. He's secure. He's comforting, Etc etc etc. But for slightly more hardcore fans, there was a time where we all just kind of outgrew Madden and he become somewhat of an annoyance. Same for Kiper. If you are a fan of the draft, know the prospects, read lots of various other draftniks, there's a time where you just kind of outgrow Kiper. 

• Like 1

I mean, I don't really care for Mel Kiper like I did 20 years ago, but I don't really want to rip the guy, since I appreciate what he did for the draft as a thing that I enjoy.  I just don't watch him on tv, don't listen to his podcast, etc.  I basically don't turn on the 4 letter network at all anymore barring live sporting events and College Gameday.

On 28/04/2019 at 10:40 PM, Forge said:

Not sure if you are old enoug, but honestly, I view him as something akin to the draftnik version of John Madden. Kiper is the well known,  easy to digest guy for casuals. He's safe. He's secure. He's comforting, Etc etc etc. But for slightly more hardcore fans, there was a time where we all just kind of outgrew Madden and he become somewhat of an annoyance. Same for Kiper. If you are a fan of the draft, know the prospects, read lots of various other draftniks, there's a time where you just kind of outgrow Kiper. 

Exactly.  Kiper is terrible at draft analysis.  You'd be a fool to take him seriously on draft day.  But he's the guy who had the personality to make the NFL draft the sort of mega "fan event" it is today.  He brings the draft to a level that everyone can appreciate, and he sells it.  And it took cajones to make that a thing.

He's the Bob McKenzie of football.