1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

21 hours ago, cannondale said:

I assume you mean double team blocks, but even at that 100% of elite rushers faced the same thing. Fans can sugar coat this thing if they choose, but the same concerns some of us had on draft day, still exist today. Preseason game, the locker room, the parking lot, for the love of God put up any kind of stat already. At this point, if he lets me know I'll be there if he wants to tackle a blue hair in the Geritol section of the grocery store. Yes, I'll take 3 preseason sacks vs 0. If Gary had 5 preseason sacks, no fan would be discounting them as inconsequential. But since he has zero, they don't mean anything ? Please.

Kenny Clark was a young project taken at pick 27. This guy was taken at 12 !! Fans can keep explaining this one away so they sleep better at night, but no matter how you slice it, thus far, Gary is a disappointment to say the least. I can't see how the start of the regular season will change that. Assuming he gets any snaps, that is. I have a feeling he is gonna disappear from the lineup

I don't want to pile on, I think that you should pump the brakes just a little bit though.  How did you feel about Aaron Rodgers after 3 preseason games? I am not saying Gary will be a HOF player, just that a couple of preseason games in his rookie year won't determine his career.  He has not lit the world on fire.  Let's take a look again in week 6, week 12, and the end of the season to see if he has improved or not.

This is absolutely incredible. People are concerned that a rookie doesn’t have a sack in three preseason games . 

And then when he has good reps they pick it apart.

Its like they expect Gary to be an all-pro year one ! Hate to break it to you guys, he’s not. That doesn’t mean he’s not gonna be a heck of a player for us this year. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't want to pile on, I think that you should pump the brakes just a little bit though.  How did you feel about Aaron Rodgers after 3 preseason games? I am not saying Gary will be a HOF player, just that a couple of preseason games in his rookie year won't determine his career.  He has not lit the world on fire.  Let's take a look again in week 6, week 12, and the end of the season to see if he has improved or not.

That's ok - I'm not here for likes or pen pals.

I feel the exact same way about the optimism based on nothing. Those fans should pump the brakes. There is something that keeps being ignored. Aaron Rodgers put up numbers in college. He produced at a high level. He dominated against his peers. Not to mention the QB position is a stand alone when it comes to evaluation. Aaron Jones put up numbers in college. Adams put up numbers. Nelson put up numbers. Yes, there are exceptions but they are few and far between. My concerns on Day 1 are the same concerns on Day 101. Palmy once said that there are two positions that flash immediately in the pros. Runners and rushers. Bill Parcells once said that until you do it, you can't do it. But I digress. There is plenty of college tape with Gary being stalemated one on one. It was one of the first things I saw when researching after the pick. His lack of production is well documented. It was a concern in every player evaluation. How does Tarzan never make a play ? "His college coaches said this" "His college coaches said that" I say blah blah blah. Show me something. Anything.

Every excuse in the book has been made on Gary's behalf. We are talking about a Top 12 pick here. If Gary was a 5th Round pick fans would be saying he should be cut, or on the bubble, or sent to the practice squad because he has shown next to nothing against guys who will be making fries in two weeks.

I hope he has dominating career, and I will be the first to say I was wrong. I'm simply not going to give the guy a pass and ignore the warning signs due to green and gold glasses.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

It's a 5 step drop out of shotgun, my goodness dude you're going to be unbearable when it comes to Gary aren't you?

That second statement is so 1999 when we're all taking snaps from the pro I. You expect a QB to gain 2 yards of depth on 5 steps??

If a QB has his first read open on a 3 or 5 step drop, you aren't getting a sack as a rusher unless it's a monumental whiff by the OL. Gary has a sack here if this is a 7 step or he needs to move to progression#2. Dominant rep? No. Absolutely a win for Gary? Yes.

I'm not saying Rashan Gary is going to be a bad player. I think he could very well be an effective player as early as this year. I'm just really confused as to why we're killing ourselves talking ourselves into this dude to the extent we're hyping neutral snaps. 

As far as the depth, the traditional 5 step drop out of the shotgun is going away out of the shotgun for a reason. It is HELL on the tackles. Every QB in the league is taught that if the ball isn't out when that back foot hits, he better be sliding forward because the tackles are pushing their guys around and that QB is sitting in that danger orbit. I very much disagree with the statement that, "oh, if the QB wouldn't have had his first read open, Gary would have had a sack." No, if the first read wasn't open, the QB would have been moving forward in the pocket as part of his progression, and Gary probably would have ended up running behind him out of the danger zone. 

As far as the 7 step drop, who the hell is running a seven step drop out of the shotgun? You're what 12 yards past the LOS at that point? Your tackles would pack up their **** and go home.

22 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

This is absolutely incredible. People are concerned that a rookie doesn’t have a sack in three preseason games . 

People are concerned that the top 12 pick hasn't touched a QB or recorded a stop in close to 100 snaps against NFL backups, in large part due to the same limitations that he showed in college. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not saying Rashan Gary is going to be a bad player. I think he could very well be an effective player as early as this year. I'm just really confused as to why we're killing ourselves talking ourselves into this dude to the extent we're hyping neutral snaps. 

Uh. Where did I kill myself hyping up that rep? Or where is anyone?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The part where some cat named Jack Wetpfer (spelling) decided to rewatch this game for Rashan Gary's best rep and eventually decided on that one to post on twitter. 

Slightly better coverage (read: a subtle hesitation from Peterman) and Rashan Gary gets his first sack or maybe a strip-sack.

Really like this rep. Drives inside to get the OT to commit with his hands, then slaps and rips around the edge.

~

Killing himself hyping up that play here.

Just now, deathstar said:

Slightly better coverage (read: a subtle hesitation from Peterman) and Rashan Gary gets his first sack or maybe a strip-sack.

Really like this rep. Drives inside to get the OT to commit with his hands, then slaps and rips around the edge.

~

Killing himself hyping up that play here.

He rewatched the game looking for a Gary highlight, failed to find one and settled on this, gif-capped it, and then uploaded it to twitter. That is a level of dedication several levels above even regular internet fandom. 

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

People are concerned that the top 12 pick hasn't touched a QB or recorded a stop in close to 100 snaps against NFL backups, in large part due to the same limitations that he showed in college. 

And I say that’s absolutely ridiculous for many reasons.

1. He’s playing a new position

2. What they wanted him to do in college made it difficult to put up gaudy sack numbers , not even counting his shoulder injuries but he certainly made guys like Chase Winovich and Devin Bush a lot of money.

3. He’s still incredibly young .

4. He’s had at least two reps where he for sure beat his man but the QB got the ball away very quick.

5. It’s his first games in the NFL

6. And most important, it’s pre-season.

i’ve seen What I needed to see. The athleticism and get off is there. He’s relentless and has shown some decent hand work. 

This really should be a non issue. 

23 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Tell you what, if I'm a top HS DL, last school I'm going to is Michigan. Sad how raw he came out when he was a 2 year starter and had a RS year.

They totally used him to win games and have a better defense without giving a damn about his personal development.

I'd imagine that Chase Winovich would strongly disagree with the idea that Michigan deserves all the blame for Rashan Gary being a piss poor pass rusher.

Does Nick Saban generally put the development of a single player over the success of their team?  That's what would have happened.  Michigan's pass rush would have suffered it required Rashan Gary to be a dominate edge rusher.  

37 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

And I say that’s absolutely ridiculous for many reasons.

1. He’s playing a new position

2. What they wanted him to do in college made it difficult to put up gaudy sack numbers , not even counting his shoulder injuries but he certainly made guys like Chase Winovich and Devin Bush a lot of money.

3. He’s still incredibly young .

4. He’s had at least two reps where he for sure beat his man but the QB got the ball away very quick.

5. It’s his first games in the NFL

6. And most important, it’s pre-season.

i’ve seen What I needed to see. The athleticism and get off is there. He’s relentless and has shown some decent hand work. 

This really should be a non issue. 

This comment looks ridiculous given how well Bush and Winovich have looked this preseason.  A lot like while at Michigan, Winovich has looked like twice the player thus far in the NFL.