1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

12 hours ago, Norm said:

Gary is the next Kumerow

Gary is the next R White. I say this only because the Packers will be correct whilst drafting a d-lineman law of averages and all of that, right?

seriously, which of the smiths do you take off the field for him? Give him Fackrels snaps? Not happening 

Gary is in a fortunate situation, he has no pressure to be a superstar from the start. He is young, let him grow into his body .i think he will

• Like 1

Enough already with the Packers knowing Gary was a project.

As for the production questions, Gutekunst clearly is not concerned. “Production is just the way you look at it,” he said. “He affected the passer, he affected the game. At times he wrecked it.” That’s a good sign for a player whose primary purpose will be to disrupt the quarterback, at least as a rookie, and the personnel department clearly feels that there are reasons why his impact on games did not appear in the stat sheet.

College scout Jue Hueber may have said it best: “He commanded a lot of attention at Michigan: double-teams, triple-teams, taking on the tight end. Really, you saw it in some of his teammates, they got freed up and they were able to get the production.” The plays that Gary put on tape were far more important than the numbers he put in the box score to the team. “When you watch him, he was all over the place, taking on these blocks and getting a lot of pressure too.”

As a 6-foot-4-plus, 275-pound player, Gary would seem a bit big to be a conventional 3-4 outside linebacker, but Hueber confirmed that’s the position group he will start with when he shows up for work. Still, expect to see him lined up in a number of different places. “He’s a guy because of his size and speed and versatility, that you’d hope you can move him around the front,” Hueber said. “He’s done some stand-up stuff already. He’s a guy who’s had to play multiple positions and move around. Probably needs to learn some of the drop stuff but I think as far as rushing the passer goes, he’ll be ready.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 66PinG said:

Gary is the next R White. I say this only because the Packers will be correct whilst drafting a d-lineman law of averages and all of that, right?

seriously, which of the smiths do you take off the field for him? Give him Fackrels snaps? Not happening 

Gary is in a fortunate situation, he has no pressure to be a superstar from the start. He is young, let him grow into his body .i think he will

You take both of the Smith's off the field for him. 5-10% of each of their snaps. Get them down to a reasonable 70% of snaps played and get him up to a far more reasonable 30% of snaps played. 

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Enough already with the Packers knowing Gary was a project.

As for the production questions, Gutekunst clearly is not concerned. “Production is just the way you look at it,” he said. “He affected the passer, he affected the game. At times he wrecked it.” That’s a good sign for a player whose primary purpose will be to disrupt the quarterback, at least as a rookie, and the personnel department clearly feels that there are reasons why his impact on games did not appear in the stat sheet.

College scout Jue Hueber may have said it best: “He commanded a lot of attention at Michigan: double-teams, triple-teams, taking on the tight end. Really, you saw it in some of his teammates, they got freed up and they were able to get the production.” The plays that Gary put on tape were far more important than the numbers he put in the box score to the team. “When you watch him, he was all over the place, taking on these blocks and getting a lot of pressure too.”

As a 6-foot-4-plus, 275-pound player, Gary would seem a bit big to be a conventional 3-4 outside linebacker, but Hueber confirmed that’s the position group he will start with when he shows up for work. Still, expect to see him lined up in a number of different places. “He’s a guy because of his size and speed and versatility, that you’d hope you can move him around the front,” Hueber said. “He’s done some stand-up stuff already. He’s a guy who’s had to play multiple positions and move around. Probably needs to learn some of the drop stuff but I think as far as rushing the passer goes, he’ll be ready.

I don't think GMs and scouts usually want to admit publicly that a first round draft pick is a project. I'm not saying that they think he was, but I don't rule it out either. Having said that, I was hoping for more out of Gary by this point. He had a nice sack and a fumble recovery in the third game, and since then he's been almost invisible. On the plus side, I haven't seen him getting dominated or embarrassed out there, so maybe it's time to give him some more snaps so he has a chance to settle in. A blowout win would be a good opportunity for that. It's not going to happen this week, but maybe against the Giants or Redskins. 

4 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

I don't think GMs and scouts usually want to admit publicly that a first round draft pick is a project. I'm not saying that they think he was, but I don't rule it out either. Having said that, I was hoping for more out of Gary by this point. He had a nice sack and a fumble recovery in the third game, and since then he's been almost invisible. On the plus side, I haven't seen him getting dominated or embarrassed out there, so maybe it's time to give him some more snaps so he has a chance to settle in. A blowout win would be a good opportunity for that. It's not going to happen this week, but maybe against the Giants or Redskins. 

How is routinely not registering a single pressure not getting "dominated or embarrassed out there?"

I don't know how you even get embarrassed as an edge rusher, like getting routinely blown off the ball in run defense? You could stick Tyler Lancaster at Edge, and by that definition he wouldn't get dominated or embarrassed.

Interesting discussion, but the character of it hasn't changed in weeks. How could it? The situation with Gary - the level, quantity and quality of his play hasnt changed dramatically in.....well, it hasnt changed. Much...at least.

Yet, the discussion rages on as if some kernel of truth or information is going to be revealed that allows for a new conclusion to be reached.

By all appearances, it will take time with this guy. Oh well. It happens.

Jeff Janis was a similar "topic."

Scant data or statistics or.....much of anything in fact that couldnt be evaluated, discussed and concluded in short order - but the guy was talked about *endlessly* - moreso in fact than players actually generating something to talk about. It's an interesting dynamic.

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't know how you even get embarrassed as an edge rusher, like getting routinely blown off the ball in run defense? 

Yep. I remember that happening to Kyler Fackrell at times--not so much the last couple years. It used to happen to KGB too. 

42 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interesting discussion, but the character of it hasn't changed in weeks. How could it? The situation with Gary - the level, quantity and quality of his play hasnt changed dramatically in.....well, it hasnt changed. Much...at least.

Yet, the discussion rages on as if some kernel of truth or information is going to be revealed that allows for a new conclusion to be reached.

By all appearances, it will take time with this guy. Oh well. It happens.

Jeff Janis was a similar "topic."

Scant data or statistics or.....much of anything in fact that couldnt be evaluated, discussed and concluded in short order - but the guy was talked about *endlessly* - moreso in fact than players actually generating something to talk about. It's an interesting dynamic.

It's like a Rorschach test. The interpretations are endless. I totally get it, though. A #12 overall draft pick is a big deal. We haven't had one that high since B.J. Raji ten years ago. 

It's a good problem to have in my opinion.

do I think Gary could possibly be making a larger impact as a rookie? Of course I do.

but, having both Smiths allows the Packers to bring him along slowly. No one will be complaining if he has 10+ sacks next year. 

Jeeez, dude is 23, 22? Let him grow up... Not everyone is born a Watt or Bosa.

Let him grow, give him the 3 years that every rookie, other than Packers, are givin.

too many Packers fans seem to expect superstars at every pick just because, well, they were picked by the packers.

I still remember being over the moon happy when they got LD-12 and then soon after Jefferson-83.

even though they were not draft choices. Just remembering my feelings of 40 years ago.

Edited by 66PinG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg C. said:

It's like a Rorschach test. The interpretations are endless. I totally get it, though. A #12 overall draft pick is a big deal. We haven't had one that high since B.J. Raji ten years ago. 

Agree and I get it. Was just commenting on the continued strength of the discussion when (frankly....) theres not much that hasnt been said already or "new" data (so to speak) being added to the mix.

21 minutes ago, 66PinG said:

Sad because fans don't respect history....

Ok Boomer,

Sorry nobody cares about a middling receiver who was on the team for four years and failed to live up to expectations . . . 30 years ago. 

Old people complaining that young people don't respect the history of a football franchise enough is sad. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 2