1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

40 minutes ago, deathstar said:

What are you even referring to with this? 

The clear change in many's attitude after the new GM took over. Gutes done a really good job, but things that would have been judged harshly in the past.... aren't. It's actually a good thing, but damn if it doesn't bug me somewhat at times.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Norm said:

The clear change in many's attitude after the new GM took over. Gutes done a really good job, but things that would have been judged harshly in the past.... aren't. It's actually a good thing, but damn if it doesn't bug me somewhat at times.

Everyone had TT white wizard memes and avy's flowing the first couple years of his tenure. Don't lose hope Norm, everyone will hate Gute in due time.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Norm said:

I don't want to be Michael Rodney, and bash Gute every day for things that are not readily fixable.  He's had his share of hits and his share of misses.  I try to call it as I see it .. not sure everyone else here follows that strategy though.  It seems like many here pick a side and will die on a hill defending it.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Everyone had TT white wizard memes and avy's flowing the first couple years of his tenure. Don't lose hope Norm, everyone will hate Gute in due time.

That's what I'm getting at lol. Even if he's a top 5 GM or whatever, he'll eventually be hated unless he wins the SB pretty same often 

Aren't allot of sacks based off coverage being good. Not like every sack in the league is beating a guy and getting him in a second or two. Gary had a nice game yesterday, but on other plays a saw a guy that was struggling to recognize things. The game is likely really fast for him still. But when he had the chance to go one on one he had some nice bullrushes of course turned the corner well and got home for a sack. Effort is there, some really good strength. He shows some real nice stuff to work with, it's too bad he is still a bit away from being ready but no reason to not see him as a real nice rotational piece next season. I like the way we are using him , and with Z shooting from the middle yesterday that was a nice wrinkle.

• Like 2

I guess I can see the "coverage" sack aspect of it as he has a chance to make 2 reads. Still Gary is the one to force him to move in the pocket and he cleans it up. Clark and Preston get their *** kicked. I'm totally fine in saying this is a massive improvement from prior weeks where Gary would've most certainly continued to be ridden past the QB. Now he's clearly shown the last 2 weeks a move to shed that block and bend that wasn't there. Still needs to do a better job of keeping that OTs hands off him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

After watching it, I can’t see the coverage sack angle.  Looks like the back gets open, and if not for Gary, Trubisky would have been able to hit him.  Isn’t that true?

It seems like Trubisky turns Cohen down even, he prob shoulda threw it there vs Martinez in man

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I guess I can see the "coverage" sack aspect of it as he has a chance to make 2 reads. Still Gary is the one to force him to move in the pocket and he cleans it up. Clark and Preston get their *** kicked. I'm totally fine in saying this is a massive improvement from prior weeks where Gary would've most certainly continued to be ridden past the QB. Now he's clearly shown the last 2 weeks a move to shed that block and bend that wasn't there. Still needs to do a better job of keeping that OTs hands off him.

First off, I dig that rep and the effort.

But I'm going to be a little critical.  He's still quite sloppy.  Hands are not good.  Feet get tangled up.  Still not much bend once he's gotten that shoulder.

And that is me nit picking.  Almost to an extreme.

Here is me not not picking.  Pretty good burst out of the snap.  Wide, but not too wide, so the tackle can't just set inside, or just set outside.  It's a good first few steps.  That's a lot of power coming at the tackle and it is low.  For a large man, he was able to win that leverage battle and I dare say, he did it without thinking.  Hips sunk a little and he was able to get under the armit of the tackle very nicely.

Now...if he can take that rush and learn how to rip that right arm up and under the armpit, violently,  to disengage at that point, I have no doubt he will fly at he QB.  He'll close that ground very, very quickly.

He's come a long way.  And that rep?  I'm happy it was a sack.  Thrilled for him.  Those little things that I think he can do better are teachable, very teachable.  To me?  This is a great sign for Gary.

• Like 3

He did pretty well with his hands in that he actually used them. How many times did we see him on tape do nothing but bull rush with a left stiff arm under the pads. The clip shows a clear evolution from that and had he ducked his head under Massie's arm that sack would've happened sooner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe said:

He did pretty well with his hands in that he actually used them. How many times did we see him on tape do nothing but bull rush with a left stiff arm under the pads. The clip shows a clear evolution from that and had he ducked his head under Massie's arm that sack would've happened sooner.

I can't but wonder if he really wanted to use that move there.  His tackle set up to allow for a little space inside.  

You bring up a great point that I and maybe others missed.  The mental aspect.  I'm guessing his natural instinct was to go to that move, as it did present itself, but he tried a new move.  It wasn't perfect, but it was effective.  The more moves he gets, the better he will become.  Nice catch!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I can't but wonder if he really wanted to use that move there.  His tackle set up to allow for a little space inside.  

You bring up a great point that I and maybe others missed.  The mental aspect.  I'm guessing his natural instinct was to go to that move, as it did present itself, but he tried a new move.  It wasn't perfect, but it was effective.  The more moves he gets, the better he will become.  Nice catch!

Good catch on your end as I didn't think of that. Clearly we can agree that he's developing moves and being creative in the process, which is what we all wanted to see all along, but the patience of others...

• Like 1

Honestly that's a baffling pass set from Massie.  Slow, ineffectual kick-step, then just goes for a hug rather than trying to ride him past the pocket.  Think if that's a better tackle that rush ends the same as a lot of his rushes.  That being said, he got his hands onto Massie's chest and didn't let Massie do the same to him, and he turned his hips and attacked underneath Massie's arm when he got depth.  These are the things he struggled with early in the year, and you can see the clear improvement.  Not sure what's not to like.

Gary's pro comp to me is Cam Jordan (disclaimer for fools: NOT saying that Gary will necessarily have the same career/success, just that they are very comparable in terms of athletic abilities), and it's notable that Jordan did not really hit his stride until Year 3. Gary already has more sacks than Jordan did as a rookie.

As far as who was on the board at the time, Gary was a sound pick. The only other guy available who had anywhere near the same talent was Simmons, who... had his own problems.

Plus, this is a great situation for him: watch and learn from the Smiths. He'd probably have better production if he was forced into an every-down starting situation but over the long term I think patience will pay dividends and get him as close to his (very high) ceiling as any team could have gotten. Quality over quantity.