1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Asked and answered already.

There were 11 guys drafted ahead of Gary. A grand total of eleven. I'm sure some one player from the remaining......how ever many....could have been selected from the range of positions and provided more bang for the draft slot buck than Gary did.

At the time of the draft, I was hoping they'd select Brian Burns. Not because I was any expert on the guy, just that he came highly rated at a position of need for us (or one we were supposedly targeting). They didnt go that route - oh well - but I figured the FO had a plan and I was good with it. Turns out, by seasons end Gary was a bit more of a project than hoped - so hopefully @Packerraymond's comment about the organization making a (future) investment in the position will pan out.

See how easy that was?  ;)

22 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Player 1 - 6'5, 277 lbs

• 21 years old (turned 22 in December)
  • 16 games, 0 starts
  • 13 solo tackles, 3 TFL
  • 3 QB hits, 2 sacks
  • 1 fumble recovery

Player 2 - 6'4, 287 lbs

• 22 years old
  • 16 games, 15 starts
  • 18 solo tackles, 2 TFL
  • 4 QB hits, 1 sack
  • 1 fumble recovery

Player 1 is Rashan Gary, player 2 is Cameron Jordan who was a popular comp for Gary. Give the kid time. 

Jordan jumped to 8 sacks in year 2. Hopefully Gary does something similar. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

You don't base evaluation of a rookie on year one production. Flat out, no matter what # the pick is.

If he steps up into a strong #3 rusher this year, the pick will be well worth it.

What the heck are you talking about? Look at the first rounder TT spent on a QB in 2005.  Set this franchise back years spending a high pick on a developmental prospect that didn't contribute in year 1. 

Kenny Clark was another one that was really a crappy pick. Many had him as a 2nd round prospect then TT and his dumb defensive scouts had the balls to take him in the first round when he under produced and didn't even have a sack in his rookie campaign. Flat out waste of a first round pick.

Same with Nick Collins and Finley. Those guys were over drafted and waiting for their development after poor rookie seasons absolutely killed the franchise. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised that they didn't play him more in the championship game.  Seems like his speed and athletic skill might have helped in the run game.  That's one of the problems with Pettine .. he picks his guys and then just buries them with heavy snap totals.  Part of the problem in the championship game might have been that our key player like Clark, Z, and Preston were worn down after a year full of heavy usage.

• Like 2

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm surprised that they didn't play him more in the championship game.  Seems like his speed and athletic skill might have helped in the run game.  That's one of the problems with Pettine .. he picks his guys and then just buries them with heavy snap totals.  Part of the problem in the championship game might have been that our key player like Clark, Z, and Preston were worn down after a year full of heavy usage.

That's what I was pissed at during the game.  You're getting run out of the building and embarrassed.  You might as well try something different.  It's the same **** Capers would have done.  Just grin and bare it and preach execution.  Derrrrrr. 

If I'm getting run out of the building, I'm putting in extra linemen and removing a defensive back.  Put Gary at ILB and just tell him to go get the ball carrier.  If he fails, he's no different than anybody else, but he's failing faster and stronger than the other guy who's failing. 

There should have been all sorts of contingencies in place for this game.  What if we can't stop the run?  What if we can't stop the pass?  What if there's one guy beating us?

But nope.  Nothing.  We just kept taking it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That's what I was pissed at during the game.  You're getting run out of the building and embarrassed.  You might as well try something different.  It's the same **** Capers would have done.  Just grin and bare it and preach execution.  Derrrrrr. 

If I'm getting run out of the building, I'm putting in extra linemen and removing a defensive back.  Put Gary at ILB and just tell him to go get the ball carrier.  If he fails, he's no different than anybody else, but he's failing faster and stronger than the other guy who's failing. 

There should have been all sorts of contingencies in place for this game.  What if we can't stop the run?  What if we can't stop the pass?  What if there's one guy beating us?

But nope.  Nothing.  We just kept taking it. 

I agree .. I'm tired of incompetence in big games.  It's been going on for years in GB.  We're good enough to get there and then the coaching staff shats the bed.  It's like clockwork.  In my opinion the defensive plan was so bad that Pettine should be canned on principle alone.  He made the Packers a laughing stock.

30 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I agree .. I'm tired of incompetence in big games.  It's been going on for years in GB.  We're good enough to get there and then the coaching staff shats the bed.  It's like clockwork.  In my opinion the defensive plan was so bad that Pettine should be canned on principle alone.  He made the Packers a laughing stock.

We saw this a lot with Capers - embarrassing defensive humiliation in an important game, all of us here SURE he would get canned.  Four years later we were still seeing the same embarrassment with Capers at the helm.  Someone at 1265 with a huge ball-sack must step forward and call this shlt out and force change, or we'll continue to see the same thing.  And by "forced change" that could mean anything from a coaching change to sending your current staff back to defensive strategies 101 school.  I don't really care - just fix the damn thing!

12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

We saw this a lot with Capers - embarrassing defensive humiliation in an important game, all of us here SURE he would get canned.  Four years later we were still seeing the same embarrassment with Capers at the helm.  Someone at 1265 with a huge ball-sack must step forward and call this shlt out and force change, or we'll continue to see the same thing.  And by "forced change" that could mean anything from a coaching change to sending your current staff back to defensive strategies 101 school.  I don't really care - just fix the damn thing!

Never know. The guy responsible for the complicacy is gone now- MM.

37 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Never know. The guy responsible for the complicacy is gone now- MM.

I guess I'm wondering if the leadership triumvirate will be more pro-active than the last model we had in place.  It's possible this may not be MLF's decision alone.