1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

Gary's fine.  What is even going on here?  His rushes improved over the season.  He's a damn rookie with a wonky shoulder, and he had 3 guys with 10+ sack seasons in the league in front of him.  You weren't taking Preston or Z off the field for him, and Fackrell is just a much more polished player with a clear role that he's shown he can excel at (weakside drop OLB).  There wasn't anyone else you could take this year that would have changed where the team ended up, and now you have a nice investment going into next season at one of the game's most important positions.

48 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Gary's fine.  What is even going on here?  His rushes improved over the season.  He's a damn rookie with a wonky shoulder, and he had 3 guys with 10+ sack seasons in the league in front of him.  You weren't taking Preston or Z off the field for him, and Fackrell is just a much more polished player with a clear role that he's shown he can excel at (weakside drop OLB).  There wasn't anyone else you could take this year that would have changed where the team ended up, and now you have a nice investment going into next season at one of the game's most important positions.

LaFleur said he wanted to see him on the field.  I think one of the biggest issues with Pettine is that he picks his favorites and then plays them to death.  Could he have found some more snaps each week for Gary .. more than likely yes.  He got a whopping 5 plays in the championship game.  I recall Gute releasing a Pettine favorite last year (forgot the players name), so others could get on the field.  I feel like we still have an unknown with Gary after very little use this season. 

On 1/21/2020 at 12:43 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean the capsule version on Gary was "Unlimited Potential, Good Kid, but very raw and needs shoulder surgery." So anybody who was expecting an all-pro performance as a rookie was barking up the wrong tree to begin with.

He did not need shoulder surgery.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

LaFleur said he wanted to see him on the field.  I think one of the biggest issues with Pettine is that he picks his favorites and then plays them to death.  Could he have found some more snaps each week for Gary .. more than likely yes.  He got a whopping 5 plays in the championship game.  I recall Gute releasing a Pettine favorite last year (forgot the players name), so others could get on the field.  I feel like we still have an unknown with Gary after very little use this season. 

There's not a snowball's chance in hell you can come up with an argument that the Packers should have played Rashan Gary over Za'Darius Smith or Preston Smith.  I don't like them playing 84% of the snaps.  Preston Smith actually only finished 2 snaps behind Za'Darius Smith.  In terms of pecking order, Kyler Fackrell was always going to be ahead of Rashan Gary on the depth chart.

53 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's not a snowball's chance in hell you can come up with an argument that the Packers should have played Rashan Gary over Za'Darius Smith or Preston Smith.  I don't like them playing 84% of the snaps.  Preston Smith actually only finished 2 snaps behind Za'Darius Smith.  In terms of pecking order, Kyler Fackrell was always going to be ahead of Rashan Gary on the depth chart.

I just said more snaps for Gary .. didn't say to play him over any of those guys.  P & Z were probably a bit overused if anything.  Both played well against Seattle, so they were able to handle that load.

• Like 1

Find a way to get your first round pick on the damn field.

Be freaking creative.  Maybe he plays Defensive End and both him and the Smith's rush.

Maybe he lines in the middle and stunts.

This defense had issues all year.  You can tell me that something couldn't have been tried, but you're wrong.  

Maybe overloading what we had could have made up for what we were lacking.  The problem is we had a player most think is better than good playing with himself on the bench rather than playing with our opponents

• Like 2

Sadly I think Gary's limited reps were more feature than bug. Several comments were made by the staff about wanting to bring him along slowly and get him about 17 (IIRC) snaps per game, just to ease him into it. 

Then most of his snaps were coming in the pressure package where Fackrell was more versatile and essentially outplaying him. 

Combine an offense you need to make a ton of reads against, with just never getting into the pressure package, and you end up with only a handful of snaps for Gary.

I feel like the closeness of some of the games was specifically why you didn't see the rookie more.  If you're in a situation where one blown play might flip the outcome, you're hesitant to play rookies whose mental game isn't one of their biggest assets.  Kyler Fackrell, 4 year vet, at least knows what he's supposed to be doing..