1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

• 1 month later...

I really think there’s a lack of excitement when it comes to Gary. If he hits , he could be scary good.  He’s got the body, the athleticism, Pedigree, the work ethic, his teammates and coaches love him and he seems like a quality individual.  He’s one of the x-factors who if they breakout, changes the trajectory of the team. 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I really think there’s a lack of excitement when it comes to Gary. If he hits , he could be scary good.  He’s got the body, the athleticism, Pedigree, the work ethic, his teammates and coaches love him and he seems like a quality individual.  He’s one of the x-factors who if they breakout, changes the trajectory of the team. 

Would like nothing better if this happens.  Hope he plays like Tarzan instead of Jane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Would like nothing better if this happens.  Hope he plays like Tarzan instead of Jane.

I don't think he plays like Jane in the sense that he's soft, etc. It's all about technique for him. His athletic traits are already an A++ for the EDGE position. It's all about learning how to use his hands, learning leverage, learning how to set up a tackle with an inside/outside move, and learning/adding a few moves to this pass rush. IF he can learn and excel at those technical/mental skills, sky is the limit. 

We have to remember last year was the first time Gary ever played the stand-up EDGE position in his life. It was brand new for him. The hope is that he progresses the way Nick Perry did, another college DE who we played EDGE and had a promising career absent his injury issues that he couldn't shake. If Gary progresses in the same fashion, he'll be an even better player given his athletic advantage over Perry (and hopefully no injury bug). 

Edited by packfanfb

I also hope he progress due to his athletic skill set ... would be a welcome d line addition.  That being said, hope he isn't a square peg being put into a round hole type draft pick since he never played the stand up edge position.  There's been more than one coach/gm fired for doing that, especially the draft slot he was picked at.  I like Jane a lot more than Tarzan but not in football!

A lot of people are low on Gary because he wasn’t who they projected to be the pick at 12. Then they seen the bandwagon from random people online and other useless draft ‘ experts’ that Gary’s name was brought up frequently as being a bust candidate and have taken that as their views .

The Packers have long envisioned themselves as a D+D franchise.  For that to excel, the +D component needs to work, at least for a healthy fraction of young prospects.  

It's a young man's league, and the Packer roster has a lot of young guys.  This season will depend very heavily on a bunch of the young prospects showing positive development.  Gary; Jace and the TE's; a couple from within the Lazard/MVS/EQ crowd; a couple from within the DL bunch; a couple from within the secondary room; perhaps somebody from within the OL room.  

Gary and Jace are the most obvious two where some significant step-up is expected, not just wished for.  

I was pretty skeptical about the selection of Gary.  I didn't feel like he loved football.  I didn't feel like he was a hard worker.

A year later, I can say that I was certainly wrong about the "not a hard worker" part.

I'm still not sure if he loves football.  But, to me, that needle is trending in the right direction.

I'm now pretty excited about his future.  I can't wait to see him get more reps in games.  You gotta account for Z, P and Clark already.  Should leave a lot of opportunity for Gary.

• Like 1