1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

His play improved a lot through the year, started using his hands better, rushed with a bit more of a plan, and the game seemed to be playing slower for him.  Still no way to know what he'll be as a full time contributor, but he was just starting to really use those scary physical gifts when last seen, so I gotta admit I feel pretty excited to see him on the field this year.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:43 PM, MrBobGray said:

I feel pretty excited to see him on the field this year.

Pettine talked about his role a bit during the recent presser - noted that the Smith's played too many snaps last year, Gary should take some of those in 2020.  Mike also talked about Rashan's ability to set the edge in the run game, so he should get more looks on early downs.
Pettine also noted he will kick Gary inside on passing downs, same as with Z.

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2020 at 5:45 PM, thrILL! said:

His heart and desire have been questioned in the past but guys who do not have either do not seek to get better like Gary does.  I can't wait to see how it translates to the field.

See.  This is amazing and encouraging to me.  I thought he had a Pillsbury Dough Boy face when he was drafted.  He doesn't look like the same person now.  Much leaner.  And that started last year after the draft.  Wouldn't surprise me if he needed to learn how to move with his new body last year, while learning a newer position.

Let's hope this isn't all talk and fluff piece stuff.  We could sure use him becoming a force.

11 hours ago, vegas492 said:

See.  This is amazing and encouraging to me.  I thought he had a Pillsbury Dough Boy face when he was drafted.  He doesn't look like the same person now.  Much leaner.  And that started last year after the draft.  Wouldn't surprise me if he needed to learn how to move with his new body last year, while learning a newer position.

Gary looks in crazy good shape in this clip and again Mike Smith gushes over his progress.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Gary looks in crazy good shape in this clip and again Mike Smith gushes over his progress.

Couple observations from that clip...and thank you for posting.

1)  Is that a man bun on the top of Tonyan's head?  Lewis needs to cut that thing off.  Tight ends don't wear man buns.

2) Gary.  Body looks lean, trim and dang he is explosive.  But his face?  I think he's always going to have that pudgy looking face, even though he is ripped as heck.

3) Martin.  Guess I thought he was more squatty as an ILB.  But that's a lean athlete there.  Super long arms.  Shorter legs, bigger torso.  Great for leverage.

22 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Fully prepared to be let down by the Gary hype but man would that be awesome for the defense if he started to contribute and a lot of people would look like idiots so I’d especially enjoy that too

Exactly- Gary struck me last year as a guy trying to figure it out and really lacking confidence- if he can get off to a good start, the sky is the limit.  

On 8/25/2020 at 12:04 PM, Arthur Penske said:

Fully prepared to be let down by the Gary hype but man would that be awesome for the defense if he started to contribute ....

Absolutely.  Kinda scared that this will all vanish once the real games start.  One of my hesitations is that all of the camp success, it's coming against the packers O-line, and largely against backups.  Of the tackles he's facing, Bakhti and Turner are the only drafted tackles in camp.  So is he beating Bakhti a lot, or these wins coming against Zach Johnson and Alex Light and Runyon and Cody Conway?  Not sure.  But it might be a lot harder when he's facing nothing but NFL starters.