1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Saying the floor is Nick Perry is disingenuous.

The floor is Vernon Gholston

I'd say Nick Perry as Gary's floor is a decent comp, in terms of him being there as a run stopper that was often double-teamed or chipped. Gary's pass rush isn't there yet, but it might get there.  Both Perry and Gary are the bigger DE/OLB type

Gholston isn't a horrible comp either. Gary is bigger, faster, and is unlikely to drop into coverage as Gholston could. He is more of a mauler than Gholston, and never had his production at college (Gholston got 14 sacks in his final season).

This is why lightweight rushers like Burns seem to have a lower floor than Gary. At worst we have an edge setting run defender that has the power and strength to push the pocket with a simplistic bull rush. Burns types are more boom or bust than that. 

On 5/8/2019 at 5:04 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Saying the floor is Nick Perry is disingenuous.

The floor is Vernon Gholston

Don't see his floor being that low given his possible versitility.  Gholston who had very little football experience, wasn't gonna be able to play mutiple positions on the defensive front if he didn't work out on the edge.  

If Gary doesn't workout on the outside he's got the size, strength and experience to move inside.  He's actually smaller right now than he was when he got to Michigan.  He's got the frame and strength to add weight if he needs to beef up and move inside.  

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

Don't see his floor being that low given his possible versitility.  Gholston who had very little football experience, wasn't gonna be able to play mutiple positions on the defensive front if he didn't work out on the edge.  

If Gary doesn't workout on the outside he's got the size, strength and experience to move inside.  He's actually smaller right now than he was when he got to Michigan.  He's got the frame and strength to add weight if he needs to beef up and move inside.  

Gholston definitely had the frame to play ILB. He lacked the football ability. 

If Gary's a failure at OLB, what makes you think he will have what it takes to hang at 3T?

41 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Gholston definitely had the frame to play ILB. He lacked the football ability. 

If Gary's a failure at OLB, what makes you think he will have what it takes to hang at 3T?

He had the frame, he lacked the football IQ and experience. Gary has both of those given that he cut weight for the draft in an attempt to make it on the edge and played all over that UM front through out his 3 years at Michigan.  I was a little down on his Wonderlic test but have come to find out that he suffers from dyslexia.  

He's got the size (or ability to add it), the length, the strength, the power and the explosiveness to play 3T.  Heck, I seen mutiple places that thought he was better suited for 3T than he was for the edge.

Edited by SSG

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

He had the frame, he lacked the football IQ and experience. Gary has both of those given that he cut weight for the draft in an attempt to make it on the edge and played all over that UM front through out his 3 years at Michigan.  I was a little down on his Wonderlic test but have come to find out that he suffers from dyslexia.  

He's got the size (or ability to add it), the length, the strength, the power and the explosiveness to play 3T.  Heck, I seen mutiple places that thought he was better suited for 3T than he was for the edge.

He was a redshirt junior coming out of college? He played Inside Linebacker and Offensive Guard in high school. Where are you pulling a lack of football experience from?

He's a DL, you can be functionally retarded and still play DT. Also, just because he has dyslexia, doesn't mean he isn't stupid. How many guys with all the physical tools have bombed out? Many! Gary is a tweener. He's a little small for a 3T. He's a little oversized for an Edge guy. 

Saying that a guy's floor is a pass rusher who had 18 sacks over a two season period is absolutely insane.

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He was a redshirt junior coming out of college? He played Inside Linebacker and Offensive Guard in high school. Where are you pulling a lack of football experience from?

He's a DL, you can be functionally retarded and still play DT. Also, just because he has dyslexia, doesn't mean he isn't stupid. How many guys with all the physical tools have bombed out? Many! Gary is a tweener. He's a little small for a 3T. He's a little oversized for an Edge guy. 

Saying that a guy's floor is a pass rusher who had 18 sacks over a two season period is absolutely insane.

Started playing football half way through high school.  One year of experience at LB in high school, limited playing time in his first year at OSU (zero tackles) and medical redshirted his second season.   His last 2 seasons at OSU were good though.  

I don't know if he's stupid or not.  Dyslexia explains the Wonderlic.  We was a guy who his coaches talked up as having a high football IQ and he had mutiple acedemic all american awards while at Michigan.  

Of course many bombed out and I'm not saying he wont.  I'm just argueing that he's got a higher floor than Gholston.  Gary is a more polished and versitile football player than Gholston IMO.  

He's currently undersized but that's because his goal was to play the edge.  

18 sacks over 2 seasons and 16 over the other 5 years of his career.....   

52 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Also, just because he has dyslexia, doesn't mean he isn't stupid.

Academic All-Big Ten requires a 3.0 gradepoint and he managed that twice at Michigan.
Now it may have been all basket-weaving classes. But given the schedule constraints of a Big Ten athlete, that's still a decent accomplishment

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Academic All-Big Ten requires a 3.0 gradepoint and he managed that twice at Michigan.
Now it may have been all basket-weaving classes. But given the schedule constraints of a Big Ten athlete, that's still a decent accomplishment

It's really not.

He majored in General Studies under Harbaugh. If he didn't want to go to class, he didn't have to go.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's really not.

He majored in General Studies under Harbaugh. If he didn't want to go to class, he didn't have to go.

I'm not saying this related to Rashan, but equating intelligence to a major is pretty stupid. Perhaps general studies seems a bit unmotivated or whatever, but there are very smart people in nearly every major. I also know a fair number of idiots who had "smart" majors too. Just because you can do math well or something like that dosen't mean you're going to be successful in life. Better chances perhaps, but not sure bet.

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1