1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm not saying this related to Rashan, but equating intelligence to a major is pretty stupid. Perhaps general studies seems a bit unmotivated or whatever, but there are very smart people in nearly every major. I also know a fair number of idiots who had "smart" majors too. Just because you can do math well or something like that dosen't mean you're going to be successful in life. Better chances perhaps, but not sure bet.

Okay, that's all we can do is play the percentages.

I'm not saying Gary's an idiot. I'm saying having a 3.0 in General Studies as a football player at a school like Michigan doesn't mean a damn thing.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2019 at 4:04 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Saying the floor is Nick Perry is disingenuous.

The floor is Vernon Gholston

You make Bob McGinn look like James Jones predicting the Packers going 16-0 lately. That's just a forced, awful comp to be negative.

The floor for Gary at it's absolute worst is someone like Courtney Upshaw. He's already a plus edge setter with a bull rush. Now factor in that he's multiple standard deviations higher as an athlete and even that floor of a comp is forced. Perry isn't that bad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You make Bob McGinn look like James Jones predicting the Packers going 16-0 lately. That's just a forced, awful comp to be negative.

The floor for Gary at it's absolute worst is someone like Courtney Upshaw. He's already a plus edge setter with a bull rush. Now factor in that he's multiple standard deviations higher as an athlete and even that floor of a comp is forced. Perry isn't that bad.

I haven't changed. It's the rest of the board that's changed. A lot of people went from viewing things as the glass was entirely empty to the glass as overflowing. My stance has always been that there's half as much liquid in the glass as it's capable of holding.

You're saying the absolute worst case scenario for Rashan Gary, assuming reasonable health, is a 7 sack per year guy.

I think that's absolutely insane. If Nick Perry was his FLOOR he would have gone 2nd overall.

There is absolutely bust potential with this pick and acting like there isn't is ignorant.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A lot of people went from viewing things as the glass was entirely empty to the glass as overflowing. 

There is absolutely bust potential with this pick and acting like there isn't is ignorant.

What's your definition of a "a lot of people"?- one or two posters?!?

There's bust potential with every pick. Signaling out one pick for that distinction is what's ignorant.

Just now, Donzo said:

What's your definition of a "a lot of people"?- one or two posters?!?

There's bust potential with every pick. Signaling out one pick for that distinction is what's ignorant.

Where on Earth am I singling out Gary as being the only pick with bust potential?

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I haven't changed. It's the rest of the board that's changed. A lot of people went from viewing things as the glass was entirely empty to the glass as overflowing. My stance has always been that there's half as much liquid in the glass as it's capable of holding.

You're saying the absolute worst case scenario for Rashan Gary, assuming reasonable health, is a 7 sack per year guy.

I think that's absolutely insane. If Nick Perry was his FLOOR he would have gone 2nd overall.

Nick Perry benefitted from playing alongside Matthews throughout his career, and as we saw with Fackrell, sack numbers can be wonky. He was never a consistent QB pressure guy.

Perry was a plus edge setting OLB with a very good bullrush, who never really developed a useful counter and was too stiff to run the arc. Gary comes into the league as a very similar player. I'm extremely confident after studying him to say that the only things that will make him a bust are health or motivation. His skillset does not equate to a bust. If he doesn't develop a tick more he will still be a useful NFL player.

Gholston is absolutely nothing like the above.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Where on Earth am I singling out Gary as being the only pick with bust potential?

I don't know?...  Who said you were singling out Gary as being the only pick with bust potential?

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Nick Perry benefitted from playing alongside Matthews throughout his career, and as we saw with Fackrell, sack numbers can be wonky. He was never a consistent QB pressure guy.

Perry was a plus edge setting OLB with a very good bullrush, who never really developed a useful counter and was too stiff to run the arc. Gary comes into the league as a very similar player. I'm extremely confident after studying him to say that the only things that will make him a bust are health or motivation. His skillset does not equate to a bust. If he doesn't develop a tick more he will still be a useful NFL player.

Gholston is absolutely nothing like the above.

Perry absolutely had the pressure numbers in his healthy years? How many years was Clay even a better rusher than Perry?

He needs to get there mentally. There's nothing skill deficiency that should stop him from getting there, but that isn't what kills 1st round prospects in the first place.

15 minutes ago, Donzo said:

I don't know?...  Who said you were singling out Gary as being the only pick with bust potential?

You did lmfao

When you said: There's bust potential with every pick. Signaling out one pick for that distinction is what's ignorant.