1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Paraphrased from today's interview: Mike Smith, Gary's position coach, said today in his 11 years in the league he's never seen anyone like Gary. Had him ranked as his top prospect in the draft and was surprised he was there at 12.  Compared him as a bit of a hybrid of Justin Houston and Dee Ford. With Houston's strength and Dee's explosion.

Said he met him at the combine and instantly knew he loved football.

Sounds very passionate.

• Like 1

Doesn't surprise me, that's definitely the first thing that jumps off the tape when you watch him.  I consistently forget how big he is because of how smooth and explosive his movements are.  I always assume he's like 6'2, 245, until you see him stand next to a LB and that is decidedly not the case.  He needs a lot of technical work, but it's hard not to dream a little here in May and think about what kind of player he could be if he figures it all out.  

And yeah, I figure we'll see a fair amount of Z. Smith and Gary rushing from the interior.  Gary's bull rush is nasty and his lack of a follow-up isn't as much a problem at 3T, and Smith can just whip *** up and down the line.

11 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

Why do I think Gary wil leither be a huge steal at 12 or a nightmare. Stay tuned!

Because he will either be a force using his elite tools or will drive everyone crazy by not being able to put it all together. Aren’t those pretty much the options?

4 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Because he will either be a force using his elite tools or will drive everyone crazy by not being able to put it all together. Aren’t those pretty much the options?

What does he have to put together though? Sure, he needs some more pass rush moves in his toolbox, but we knew that with any of those Michigan players. It sounds as if Gary has recognized this and will do whatever he needs to do in order to find success. What more could you ask for?

4 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I mean, if he's a very good run defender who gets a lot of pressures but is like an 8-9 sacks/year guy, are people going to be mad?  Well, yes... but should they be? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, if he's a very good run defender who gets a lot of pressures but is like an 8-9 sacks/year guy, are people going to be mad?  Well, yes... but should they be? 

This is why the "boom or bust" stuff doesn't seem correct to me.  The scenario as a good run guy with a variable number of sacks seems entirely plausible.  Given good run defense, is 8-9 sacks "good"?  What if it's 6-7 sacks?  What if it's 3-5 sacks?  

What if it's 3 sacks this year as a modest-usage rookie; 8 as a sophomore; then 5 or 6 as a 3rd year guy.  If some fans are kinda disappointed, should they be viewed as dumb, naive, and simplistic?