1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

33 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Za'darius is not a full time inside guy unless you're planning on having gain 30 pounds. There's exactly 0 270 lb 3 techs in the NFL, and he's not a 5-tech. Adams will be the guy inside on early downs when Daniels leaves. 

The thing is having a great rotation of pass rushers is a good thing. Even if Gary ends up the player you see him as he'll still probably get less snaps than you expect if everything goes as planned. If Z and Preston play up to those contracts, we're going to have one of those best case problems of not enough snaps to go around. Eventually Gary would be an every snap guy when they leave, but no point in wearing that big body down if you can have it scary fresh for the fourth quarter. 

Here’s what i foresee next season:

Gary being oversized for 3-3 edge

Zadarius being underweight for 3-3 5t

Together they balance out a side. 

It’s the equivalent of making something tasty with what you have in the fridge. If you have a tenderloin, make a buttery parm sauce and throw it over pasta. If you have a ribeye, have some veggies and maybe even an ear of corn or potato to balance out the fat. 

All meat doesn’t have to be the same, but compliment it with what it’s missing. If it’s missing fat, add some fat to the meal. If it’s got more than enough fat, lean out the rest of the meal. 

There’s a whole bunch of ways to eat good, just as there are a whole bunch of ways to balance out an edge/5t pairing in 3-3 nickel. We have good ingredients though. That’s where you start. 

Edited by boratt

But if the fridge breaks and you lose all your best ingredients, you can always slap together some apples with peanut butter and honey or raisins. That’ll get ya through a day anyway. Find a way to make what you have work. That’s what I’m saying.

1 hour ago, boratt said:

That's not how football works. Z will never be a full time down lineman. He's a base EDGE, sub package 3 tech. If Gary plays 3 years behind the Smith's and only in the pressure package and plays it well, still a great pick. One of the two Smith's, if not both will be gone in 3-4 years. Pass rushers aren't QBs/OL/RBs, they don't need a clear path to the starting lineup to be valuable. If the Smith's play well, and Gary comes in and plays well behind them, we'll have a damn good defense.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That's not how football works. Z will never be a full time down lineman. He's a base EDGE, sub package 3 tech. If Gary plays 3 years behind the Smith's and only in the pressure package and plays it well, still a great pick. One of the two Smith's, if not both will be gone in 3-4 years. Pass rushers aren't QBs/OL/RBs, they don't need a clear path to the starting lineup to be valuable. If the Smith's play well, and Gary comes in and plays well behind them, we'll have a damn good defense.

Pretty much how i feel about Gary right here.  If he is a guy that is productive in the pressure looks, and plays well behind the smiths otherwise, then I'll be ok with the pick.  that kind of a player can get you 8 sacks a year, which i would be happy with.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 3:49 PM, Packerraymond said:

On 7/12/2019 at 4:17 PM, snackattack said:

Pretty much how i feel about Gary right here.  If he is a guy that is productive in the pressure looks, and plays well behind the smiths otherwise, then I'll be ok with the pick.  that kind of a player can get you 8 sacks a year, which i would be happy with.

Agree about not having enough pass rushers.

Agree about being "okay" with the Gary pick if he is an 8 sack a year guy who plays only behind the Smiths.  But really, I"m not good with "okay".

Look, dude was the 12'th overall pick.  He has an elite skillset.

He needs to start ahead of at least one of the Smith's in three years.  Meaning in his third year, if he isn't a starter, that pick is a failure.  Meaning, we either didn't coach him well enough, or he just didn't have "it" in him to be successful.  That guy needs to develop into our Alpha Dog as a player.

I don't want to be "okay" with this pick.  But...that's just me.  I"m good giving him time to develop, and Lord knows he is in a great situation here.  But he needs to be better than the third wheel after 2 years of playing ball.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Agree about not having enough pass rushers.

Agree about being "okay" with the Gary pick if he is an 8 sack a year guy who plays only behind the Smiths.  But really, I"m not good with "okay".

Look, dude was the 12'th overall pick.  He has an elite skillset.

He needs to start ahead of at least one of the Smith's in three years.  Meaning in his third year, if he isn't a starter, that pick is a failure.  Meaning, we either didn't coach him well enough, or he just didn't have "it" in him to be successful.  That guy needs to develop into our Alpha Dog as a player.

I don't want to be "okay" with this pick.  But...that's just me.  I"m good giving him time to develop, and Lord knows he is in a great situation here.  But he needs to be better than the third wheel after 2 years of playing ball.

I hear ya.  I too would like an elite player of course, but i'm trying to think objectively about what would make me look back and not say ewwwww.  lots of top 12 picks flat out bust, so i would be "ok" with solid production.  i would be "happy" with twice the numbers i posted earlier.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 3:00 PM, boratt said:

I can't believe I just read that.  That's not how it works at all.  

30 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

How many FF posters does it take to declare something unworkable? :P

If it was draft time, you'd just change your opinion every other week until you have all bases covered....and hope no one remembers what you said the week prior.

Then get defensive when someone calls you out.  Then say your opinion changed after doing more homework.  Then you ghost the site.

I'm not exactly sure how it works on a "normal" thread versus a draft thread, but I guess we will see.

58 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

How many FF posters does it take to declare something unworkable? :P

Yeah that was some rapidfire consensus on football not working that way.

I won’t be able to understand this issue at all without a proper food analogy. Is a nose tackle 5 pounds of 30/70 ground beef?

25 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Yeah that was some rapidfire consensus on football not working that way.

I won’t be able to understand this issue at all without a proper food analogy. Is a nose tackle 5 pounds of 30/70 ground beef?

Actually, I believe that particular industry terminology would indicate that you are eating beef bacon at that point.