1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

It is an interesting discussion to wonder what the Packers will do if the best case scenario actually does play out: what do you do if Gary and both Smiths actually play up to the resources invested in them?  I mean the pressure packages obviously, but in the base and heavier sets, I wonder what they'll go with.  

16 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

It is an interesting discussion to wonder what the Packers will do if the best case scenario actually does play out: what do you do if Gary and both Smiths actually play up to the resources invested in them?  I mean the pressure packages obviously, but in the base and heavier sets, I wonder what they'll go with.  

1 ILB, and it may not be Martinez.

On 7/15/2019 at 4:05 PM, MrBobGray said:

I think you'll see more of Za'Darius Smith on the DL in that scenario.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, boratt said:

Why? Why can’t Zadarius and Gary play on the same side with z as DE?

As noted by PR, gotta use the BIGs in base, let them do the heavy lifting and spare your pass rushers
You really want to keep all of their legs fresh, both Pettine and Montgomery talk about it frequently.
The idea is that once you reach the threshold of "tired legs" there is no going back, no matter how much extra rest they get that during that game

So the coaches have to make sure none of them exceed their individual thresholds too soon... in that regard, its sort of like having sex.

• Like 1

That makes sense. The Packers played 3-4 base about 20% of the time last year. It does make the most sense to rest the pass rushers on those snaps. Even putting Lancaster in to rest Clark on those traditional base sets might make sense because Clark is becoming such a dynamic pass rusher, it might be best to have him rested for 3rd down. 

Daniels is an underrated pass rusher too. Might be nice to get him some breaks on base downs too. A well rested Lowry/Lancaster/Adams front three wouldn’t be the worst thing on base downs, actually. 

The rotations are going to be very interesting.

I would like, on supremely important drives, like once or twice per game, to see all of our best personnel on the field together tho. Important drive, 2nd and 10, 3rd and 10.... 3-3 Nickel with all of our big horses at once. Gary, Z, Clark, Daniels, Preston..... Martinez inside. That group could get pressure when ya need it most. Even Martinez times his blitzes well and could sneak in behind Clark/Daniels at calculated times.

Edited by boratt

On 7/17/2019 at 1:35 PM, Packerraymond said:

In base? Definitely not. One will be on the bench, and that's fine.

I mean, not on an everydown basis.  But for limited snaps, sure.  But realistically, you're top 2 pass rushers are playing ~60% of the defensive snaps.  Your #3 is playing roughly 50% of the snaps, which still doesn't account for roughly 30% of the defensive snaps.

Rashan Gary 4-1 in one on one pass rush drills. For sure he beat Spriggs twice and Taylor once from 3t. Sounds like the guy I saw on tape. Can’t trust stats all of the time. The big 10 has a way of turning their best DL into run anchors. JJ Watt, Frank Clark and now Gary all looking like stud NFL pass rushers even tho they were run anchors who barely broke 5 sacks in the big 10.

The tape tells a more accurate  story than the stat line. 

Edited by boratt

1 hour ago, boratt said:

Rashan Gary 4-1 in one on one pass rush drills. For sure he beat Spriggs twice and Taylor once from 3t. Sounds like the guy I saw on tape. Can’t trust stats all of the time. The big 10 has a way of turning their best DL into run anchors. JJ Watt, Frank Clark and now Gary all looking like stud NFL pass rushers even tho they were run anchors who barely broke 5 sacks in the big 10.

The tape tells a more accurate  story than the stat line. 

It's ******* 1v1s in shells