1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

36 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, Ferrell and Collier do suck. 

No they just have not produced yet. I think it's easy to say they suck but it takes more patience and understanding to look at things less black and white. You can and have every right to be black and white and say they all suck. I chose to hedge my bet a bit before i shove my foot right in and see how things play out. Lots of rooks suck lots don't. it's weird some never pan out and some do. At this point you are right though Gary is not producing and has not done anything to show anything different. Your point doesn't change the fact that he is a GBP, I hope he is working his butt off and I hope it clicks. I will keep in mind that he is only 21 though. He just can legally drink in the US man he's young. Just a kid.

We never had a shot at Bosa and Burns was not the size that Pettine wanted so Gary is ours. Both Bosa and Burns are 23. By the time Gary hits 23 we may see a far superior product like with Kenny Clark.

Why not spend your time trying to find some glimmer in his game that you like or could share. Maybe you could just try and turn that frown upsidedown for a single post if you can muster the strength.

Edited by PACKRULE
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

No they just have not produced yet. I think it's easy to say they suck but it takes more patience and understanding to look at things less black and white. You can and have every right to be black and white and say they all suck. I chose to hedge my bet a bit before i shove my foot right in and see how things play out. Lots of rooks suck lots don't. it's weird some never pan out and some do. At this point you are right though Gary is not producing and has not done anything to show anything different. Your point doesn't change the fact that he is a GBP, i hope he is working his butt off and I hope it clicks.

We never had a shot at Bosa and Burns was not the size that Pettine wanted so Gary is ours. Why not spend your time trying to find some glimmer in his game that you like or could share. Maybe you could just try and turn that frown upsidedown for a single post if you can muster the strength.

Perhaps if Rodgers wasnt so overrated he would be able to better nurture our rookies on each side of the ball. Its just as much Rodgers fault that Gary's snap counts are so low.

Gary is young and has great physical gifts but obviously needs to learn when/how to use them.  Hope he can quickly or else he was not worth the #12 pick.  On the other hand, on draft day I was really hoping we would draft Jeffrey Simmons even though he had an ACL injury as his talent and tape was very good.  His ACL tear was clean without much ancillary damage.  I watched him play yesterday for Tennesse….20 snaps.....1 sack and 2 tackles for loss.  All that just 8 months removed from the injury.  I hope he did not come back too soon.  Gosh would he look good on this defensive line right now which has had trouble recently generating pass pressure from their bigs.  Would've taken some pressure off of Clark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

There’s really no sense arguing with someone who refuses to acknowledge the full picture.

The full fricken picture is you must have productive players on rookie contracts, especially when the majority of the cap is spoken for. Inexcusable that a top 12 pass rusher needs to redshirt. The next productive football season Gary has will be his first. Mid season concerns are exactly the same as Draft Day. Nothing has changed

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

The full fricken picture is you must have productive players on rookie contracts, especially when the majority of the cap is spoken for. Inexcusable that a top 12 pass rusher needs to redshirt. The next productive year Gary has will be his first

Pretty much agree with that.  A top 12 draft pick whatever his position is on the team should be contributing more than what Gary is.  It's not like we haven't had an issue on the defense stopping both the pass and run lately where he should be able to contribute.  Problem is, we can only hope he improves and it will click for him.  However, waiting for a year or two for him to get it doesn't do our depth much good as somebody has to fill in through another draft or free agency.  Fingers crossed but have my doubts.   

Nothing to do at this point but wait and hope for the best in the long run.  At least I expect Pettine to put Gary in position to take advantage of his strengths, which is more than can be said for some of the premium picks handed over to Capers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's ridiculous to be okay with zero production out of the #12 pick in the draft. Anybody saying otherwise is being an apologist. 

No it's not, there are plenty of reasons to be ok with it without being an apologist.

I didn't like the pick at the time, I'm not even close to a Rashan Gary apologist, and I understand the full picture of why we can still be okay with having Gary on this team.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If we wanted production out of our #12 pick, we wouldn't have taken an EDGE player.

I don't know how you can even type this with a straight face considering just how terrible he's looked. 

He doesn't look like a raw rookie figuring things out. He looks like a scrub. That busted fatal flaw of a bad first step that haunted him in college is still haunting him right now. He can't set anything up. He can't keep his hands on guys.