1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

49 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Just curious- would this discussion be taking place if Gary was a 4th round pick?

Is the issue that he was picked at 12 overall?

Yeah, I think so. If he was pick 30, I think the fan base would be fine with him, but because he was 12 and a guy a lot of people wanted (Burns) is producing pass rush, people have issues.

18 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Yeah, I think so. If he was pick 30, I think the fan base would be fine with him, but because he was 12 and a guy a lot of people wanted (Burns) is producing pass rush, people have issues.

To piggyback this.....  Gary's size and athletic profile seems to fit what Pettine wants out of his EDGE guys.  Burns was a little light compared to the Smiths.

And...we should note that it took Z a couple years to get to where he is as an NFL player.  Gary has a lot more to offer athletically than Z did, so we should be patient with him.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

To piggyback this.....  Gary's size and athletic profile seems to fit what Pettine wants out of his EDGE guys.  Burns was a little light compared to the Smiths.

And...we should note that it took Z a couple years to get to where he is as an NFL player.  Gary has a lot more to offer athletically than Z did, so we should be patient with him.

Are you referring to this?  http://www.nfl.com/player/za'dariussmith/2552279/combine

A lot of the same criticism- stiff, can't turn the corner, hard worker but limited

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

I find the angst odd because good posters pointed out before the draft that there wasn't a plethora of value at 12.  I suspect if they had gone with any of the available edge rushers at the time they would be viewed as not providing the appropriate production for the 12th pick at this point.

I don't know what the end result for Rashan Gary will be, but it seems like withholding judgement at this point and giving it more time is appropriate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Are you referring to this?  http://www.nfl.com/player/za'dariussmith/2552279/combine

A lot of the same criticism- stiff, can't turn the corner, hard worker but limited

I've actually never read that.  Thank you for posting it.  I was looking at it as where Z was picked in the draft and his stats from his rookie year to this year.  Development happens.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, I definitely said he was a "bust". I'm definitely advocating to cut him. In fact, fire Gute for making such a garbage pick.

Seriously?

You've been trashing him this whole thread. Perhaps the hyperbole was lost on you! 

When someone posts about another high pick, playing the same position you toss out a LEGITIMATE reason for their lack of production. Except, Gary has one too or did you forget he's playing with a labral tear in his shoulder. Trying to get through the season before a likely surgery. 

It cuts both ways! So maybe give this kid a break for a week or two! 

Edited by Golfman

Just now, vegas492 said:

We need to chill about Gary.  All Alex is doing is gearing him up for a huge day on Sunday.  Mark it down.

It worked with Rodgers.....

I'd love to see it, but if not, I'm not giving up on the kid. Also, I HATED this draft pick, but he's a Packer now so I'm pulling for him! I hope he can learn how to play and use that athletic ability to dominate! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You've been trashing him this whole thread. Perhaps the hyperbole was lost on you! 

When someone posts about another high pick, playing the same position you toss out a LEGITIMATE reason for their lack of production. Except, Gary has one too or did you forget he's playing with a labral tear in his shoulder. Trying to get through the season before a likely surgery. 

It cuts both ways! So maybe give this kid a break for a week or two! 

How many damn excuses can we make for a guy?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/05/why-concern-should-be-low-about-rashan-garys-shoulder-injury/amp/

The shoulder isn't affecting his production. His slow *** first step, terrible bend, and awful hand placement are the reason he's not producing.