1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How many damn excuses can we make for a guy?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/05/why-concern-should-be-low-about-rashan-garys-shoulder-injury/amp/

The shoulder isn't affecting his production. His slow *** first step, terrible bend, and awful hand placement are the reason he's not producing.

Only need one and that is he was a raw athlete who hadn't learned the finer points of the game. NOBODY is/was questioning that. He also does have an injury he's playing through. 

Slow the F down on the kid. We know he's got a lot of work to do. He seems more than eager to work his *** off to get there. 

Your problem is the fixation with being the smartest guy on the board. Just R-E-L-A-X. You've made your point! 

• Like 1

I was definitely a Burns over Gary guy because I liked his explosion but it's clear that Pettine valued a guy that was about 30 lbs. heavier who only lost .05 seconds in the 40 and only .25 seconds in the 3 cone drill because of that size; nevermind the fact that the knock on Burns is that he couldn't set the edge due to his frame.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I was definitely a Burns over Gary guy because I liked his explosion but it's clear that Pettine valued a guy that was about 30 lbs. heavier who only lost .05 seconds in the 40 and only .25 seconds in the 3 cone drill because of that size; nevermind the fact that the knock on Burns is that he couldn't set the edge due to his frame.

Only? That's an eternity in the 3 cone

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Only? That's an eternity in the 3 cone

but does the 3-cone drill really mean all that much for a pass-rusher vs. a DB or WR?

but, again, consider Gary vs. Burns in regards to size and strength.

I think it is splitting hairs on the combine.  

Combine results.

Rashan Gary.  6'4'' 277 pounds.

40: 4.58  

Bench:  26

Vertical:  38

Broad:  120

3 cone: 7.26

20 shuttle: 4.29

Brian Burns.  6'5'' 249 pounds (and he's lighter now)

40: 4.53

Bench: NA

Vertical: 36

Broad: 129

3 cone: 7.01

20 shuttle: NA

Just now, vegas492 said:

I think it is splitting hairs on the combine.  

Combine results.

Rashan Gary.  6'4'' 277 pounds.

40: 4.58  

Bench:  26

Vertical:  38

Broad:  120

3 cone: 7.26

20 shuttle: 4.29

Brian Burns.  6'5'' 249 pounds (and he's lighter now)

40: 4.53

Bench: NA

Vertical: 36

Broad: 129

3 cone: 7.01

20 shuttle: NA

Doesn't matter Burns wasn't a scheme fit for us! Also, let's see where the two of them are after year 3. 

6 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Only need one and that is he was a raw athlete who hadn't learned the finer points of the game. NOBODY is/was questioning that. He also does have an injury he's playing through. 

Slow the F down on the kid. We know he's got a lot of work to do. He seems more than eager to work his *** off to get there. 

Your problem is the fixation with being the smartest guy on the board. Just R-E-L-A-X. You've made your point! 

Rashan Gary sucks right now. That's the only point that's been made. I don't know how that's an objectionable statement. He's got next to no production in 100 reps.

We've got a whole bunch of people here who get offended at the implication that any Gute acquisition other than Graham hasn't been fantastic. 

Half the board is talking like Elgton Jenkins is a pro bowler and Darnell Savage is infallible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Doesn't matter Burns wasn't a scheme fit for us! Also, let's see where the two of them are after year 3. 

I honestly think that Burns is a superstar in 3 years.

Coming out, I thought that Burns needed strength and weight in our system.  Both of which can be had with an off-season or two in a strength program.  He had that unreal natural bend that you look for in an elite edge.  But...he was a project.  And one that should only see passing downs as a rookie in the NFL.

Gary?  I thought he didn't have the high end pass rush game that Burns has or will have.

But...he would be much better against the run and that would be seen right away.

Two different kinds of guys, and we know what kind Pettine prefers.

But yah, it'll be fun to look at these two in a few years.  Even throw Sweat into that mix.

Either way, I wasn't "for" Gary during the draft.  But....he's a Packer now and I'll give him time.

• Like 1

Rashan Gary sucks right now. That's the only point that's been made. I don't know how that's an objectionable statement. He's got next to no production in 100 reps.

We've got a whole bunch of people here who get offended at the implication that any Gute acquisition other than Graham hasn't been fantastic. 

Half the board is talking like Elgton Jenkins is a pro bowler and Darnell Savage is infallible. 

OR perhaps we're as excited as hell that rookies are getting meaningful minutes and contributing. AT A VERY HIGH LEVEL to be honest in the case of Jenkins and Savage. We didn't get to see a lot of play from rookies when McCarthy was around. He seemed to have an aversion to playing them. 

You seem to think your mission on this board is to be the negative 'voice of reason'! Don't be such a Debbie Downer! Life is good, we're six and one and look at all the room for improvement we still have left! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Golfman said:

OR perhaps we're as excited as hell that rookies are getting meaningful minutes and contributing. AT A VERY HIGH LEVEL to be honest in the case of Jenkins and Savage. We didn't get to see a lot of play from rookies when McCarthy was around. He seemed to have an aversion to playing them. 

You seem to think your mission on this board is to be the negative 'voice of reason'! Don't be such a Debbie Downer! Life is good, we're six and one and look at all the room for improvement we still have left! 

Savage has been good. He's been hurt, but he's been playing as you put it at a very high level. He needs to play some more to see if that's sustainable. 

Jenkins has been fine. He hasn't been terrible but he hasn't been playing at a very high level. There's been ups and downs. There's plenty of reasons to be excited about his future, but he's not there right now. 

Gary doesn't even have the peaks that those guys have shown.

• Like 1

Savage has been good. He's been hurt, but he's been playing as you put it at a very high level. He needs to play some more to see if that's sustainable. 

Jenkins has been fine. He hasn't been terrible but he hasn't been playing at a very high level. There's been ups and downs. There's plenty of reasons to be excited about his future, but he's not there right now. 

I can have a conversation with this kind of a post. I agree and was as anti-Gary as anybody pre-draft. Almost threw up when we announced him as the pick. He's a Packer now and I quickly came to realize he's going to be a work in progress. The shoulder can't be helping. He has athletic ability, now can he turn that into football production and learn how to play? I have no idea, but he's getting a pass from me this year for the most part. 

It's not his fault he was selected #12 based on upside alone. I said it all along, he was the 3rd best defender on the Michigan defense and he wasn't close to the other two. If he's in this same place next year, week 1, we've got problems. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Golfman said:

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

7 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I can have a conversation with this kind of a post. I agree and was as anti-Gary as anybody pre-draft. Almost threw up when we announced him as the pick. He's a Packer now and I quickly came to realize he's going to be a work in progress. The shoulder can't be helping. He has athletic ability, now can he turn that into football production and learn how to play? I have no idea, but he's getting a pass from me this year for the most part. 

It's not his fault he was selected #12 based on upside alone. I said it all along, he was the 3rd best defender on the Michigan defense and he wasn't close to the other two. If he's in this same place next year, week 1, we've got problems. 

I love it when Mom and Dad quit fighting.

• Like 1