1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

31 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

At #12 I'd expect a little more instant impact gotta be honest.  He needs to see the field more get some reps.  Hopefully the Smith's will teach him a few moves. We are only 7 games in so a little early on here but I want to see the kid flash.  Hasn't yet.   Wasn't too happy about the pick.  Afterwards reading up on Gary warmed up to him.  But man the guy has to show something more on the field.  Way too early to make any kind of long term judgement on him bottom line.  

But...to Alex's point....he's kind of sucked so far, right?

Maybe "suck" is harsh, but 7 games in, he's meh, right?

I think it's okay to say he's meh right now, but that was to be expected and we really need to judge him after year two or three.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

But...to Alex's point....he's kind of sucked so far, right?

Maybe "suck" is harsh, but 7 games in, he's meh, right?

I think it's okay to say he's meh right now, but that was to be expected and we really need to judge him after year two or three.

I'm not going to judge until after the surgery.

18 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Kind of forgot about it .. I think he does wear a harness.  He should get it fixed this off-season if it's still an issue.

He'll get it cleaned up, but it's not serious. He's been playing with it for more than a year, since like week 4 of his last year at Michigan. The anterior tear is pretty much irrelevant for him unless he's regularly raising his hand up like a baseball pitcher or a QB and even then it's minor. 

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He'll get it cleaned up, but it's not serious. He's been playing with it for more than a year, since like week 4 of his last year at Michigan. The anterior tear is pretty much irrelevant for him unless he's regularly raising his hand up like a baseball pitcher or a QB and even then it's minor. 

You just play a doctor on the internet........ and not very well. You were the one stating in the preseason Gary had a compression injury of his neck when it was clearly a hyper-extension. The labrum helps give the shoulder stability, but I guess that is only a minor thing for a QB or pitcher! Really? Might want to leave the diagnosis to others. 

By the way, that lack of stability surely affects his strength. 

Edited by Golfman

He's starting to flatten on his rushes, I've seen it and I saw Fennell write something about it too. The blow-bys that were abundant in preseason and early in the regular season are less frequent. He's definitely getting coaching and reacting, but until he develops a counter move, he'll only be a coverage sack king. You just anchor on him and you've won. Not sure why our coaching staff isn't having him try new rushes, if they think bullrushing only is his ticket to stardom then the problem with the pick wasn't our FO.

• Like 1

CHTV: 

The Green Bay Packers defense has been getting pressure on opposing passers at a good rate this season.  They rank tied for 12th in the league with 18 sacks.

Twice, however, the Packers finished a game with zero sacks.  One was the loss to the Philadelphia Eagles and the other was this past weekend's win over the Oakland Raiders.

Free agent additions Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith have been a boon for this defense, amassing 13 of those 18 sacks.  They've elevated the Green Bay defense to one of the better units in the league.

But when the opponent has a solid game plan for the Smith's, who steps up?

Rookie first rounder Rashan Gary has just one sack on the season.  He's created pressure and is setting the edge better than we've seen the Packers do in recent seasons.  Some of that doesn't show up in the stat sheet but, in the words of former Packers linebackers coach Kevin Greene: It. Is. Time.

Kyler Fackrell has been very quiet as a role player and despite his "breakout" 2018, it's unlikely that he has any memorable moments like that this season, barring injury.

The Raiders have taken good care of quarterback Derek Carr this season so it was no surprise they had an idea how to keep him clean in Green Bay.  Packers defensive coordinator Mike Pettine sent his front and when that didn't work, he blitzed several times, to no avail.

As the season wears on and the Packers hope to hit their full stride, one thing must remain constant: pressure on the passer.  They have to find a way to disrupt quarterbacks if they want to continue to win big games.

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I've got the same tear that I decided against surgery on after I stopped playing. You feel it benching so I'm sure he notices it on the bull rush. Still not a difficult one to play through but I'm sure he's sore there after a game.

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

You just play a doctor on the internet........ and not very well. You were the one stating in the preseason Gary had a compression injury of his neck when it was clearly a hyper-extension. The labrum helps give the shoulder stability, but I guess that is only a minor thing for a QB or pitcher! Really? Might want to leave the diagnosis to others. 

I'm not playing doctor you geriatric homer mouth breather.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/05/why-concern-should-be-low-about-rashan-garys-shoulder-injury/amp/

The shoulder injury requiring Green Bay Packers rookie Rashan Gary to wear a protective harness during minicamp should have limited impact on his first NFL season even if surgery is required next offseason, according to an orthopedic surgeon familiar with Gary’s likely injury.

Dr. Dustin Schuett recently spoke to Packers Wire to help explain the mechanics of a labral injury and why Gary’s position should reduce the impact of the injury during his rookie season.

When a shoulder dislocates and sometimes when a shoulder subluxates (partially comes out without completely dislocating), the anterior inferior labrum tears,” Dr. Schuett said. “Think of a labrum as the rim around the top of golf tee. A torn labrum is like a golf tee with part of the rim broken off. Much like a broken golf tee would struggle to hold a golf ball, a shoulder with a labral tear can be unstable and prone to dislocations/subluxations.”

However, Gary will operate in Mike Pettine’s defense as an outside linebacker and occasionally as an interior rusher, minimizing compromising situations for the shoulder joint. 

“The position where shoulders are most unstable is when reaching overhead especially in a maximally externally rotated position like the beginning of a throwing motion,” Dr. Schuett explained. “Cornerbacks have to use their arms overhead dozens of times a game whereas defensive linemen typically function with their arms at or below shoulder level in a much more stable position.”

Dr. Schuett believes the injury will have “minimal impact” on Gary’s season, even if he has to wear the harness all year in 2019. He pointed to the recent on-field success of Demarcus Lawrence, who played last season with a similar shoulder harness but still managed 10.5 sacks and a Pro Bowl appearance before having the corrective surgery this offseason.

Dr. Schuett also isn’t concerned about Gary generating power. He bench-pressed 225 pounds 26 times at the combine, but the act of bench-pressing – or pushing an offensive lineman – doesn’t test or strain the anterior labrum.