1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I've got the same tear that I decided against surgery on after I stopped playing. You feel it benching so I'm sure he notices it on the bull rush. Still not a difficult one to play through but I'm sure he's sore there after a game.

Sure, I don't doubt it's sore, but this is the NFL. sore is life. He's been living with it for a year. If it was a concern, they would have had him get the surgery.

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's starting to flatten on his rushes, I've seen it and I saw Fennell write something about it too. The blow-bys that were abundant in preseason and early in the regular season are less frequent. He's definitely getting coaching and reacting, but until he develops a counter move, he'll only be a coverage sack king. You just anchor on him and you've won. Not sure why our coaching staff isn't having him try new rushes, if they think bullrushing only is his ticket to stardom then the problem with the pick wasn't our FO.

He's also trying to use his hands better.  He actually clears the tackles hands more often than not now, and he does try to use a combination of rips/swims/clubs.  None of it is particularly good yet, but just seeing the evolution of his game from week 1 it's clear he's trying to improve.  Honestly, I'm less concerned about a counter move than I am about his hand placement and lack of feel for the power game.  Bullrushing is sort of a misunderstood art; a huge chunk of it is just understanding leverage.  If the OT knows it's coming and can time the anchor, you'll never get much out of it, even if you have a counter.  Gary needs to learn how to initiate the bull rush with different timing and hand placement so he at least occasionally catches someone with the rush who isn't sitting on it before he's even out of his stance.

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

He's also trying to use his hands better.  He actually clears the tackles hands more often than not now, and he does try to use a combination of rips/swims/clubs.  None of it is particularly good yet, but just seeing the evolution of his game from week 1 it's clear he's trying to improve.  Honestly, I'm less concerned about a counter move than I am about his hand placement and lack of feel for the power game.  Bullrushing is sort of a misunderstood art; a huge chunk of it is just understanding leverage.  If the OT knows it's coming and can time the anchor, you'll never get much out of it, even if you have a counter.  Gary needs to learn how to initiate the bull rush with different timing and hand placement so he at least occasionally catches someone with the rush who isn't sitting on it before he's even out of his stance.

You welcome the anchor if you have a counter. Let him drop his butt and get ready to anchor and seat those hands and rip him forward, or spin inside. His hand placement needs improvement, but I personally think that tech is easier to fix than adding moves to your rush repertoire.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You welcome the anchor if you have a counter. Let him drop his butt and get ready to anchor and seat those hands and rip him forward, or spin inside. His hand placement needs improvement, but I personally think that tech is easier to fix than adding moves to your rush repertoire.

Right, I think I worded that poorly. My point is if your bullrush is bad, then you don't get much out of it when you use it and the counter is less effective as well. Your counter move is most effective when the tackle is worried about getting run over so he drops the anchor early. My personal feeling is Gary needs to show that his bullrush is a problem before the counter really becomes effective, although frankly I'm just being a common internet poster because I don't actually care where he improves first, just that he does, and I fully agree he is badly lacking a counter 

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

8oUzBXk.gif

That's most of his reps.

His legs are trying to turn the corner.

His arms are trying to bullrush.

His hands are throwing first (this is bad).

He looks like a young guy with limited edge reps, that's for sure. He needs to be taught a bunch. I'd rather have him ineffective because he doesn't know what he's doing and hope coaching fixes him. You can clearly see he had been disciplined for overrunning the pocket, as he continues to make a conscious effort not to. Stopping at the top of the arc doesn't do much though, he's got to figure out a way to either angle that bull toward the QB or she'd of he's going to be useful this year. In the off-season we need to start seeing a full repertoire.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

He looks like a young guy with limited edge reps, that's for sure. He needs to be taught a bunch. I'd rather have him ineffective because he doesn't know what he's doing and hope coaching fixes him. You can clearly see he had been disciplined for overrunning the pocket, as he continues to make a conscious effort not to. Stopping at the top of the arc doesn't do much though, he's got to figure out a way to either angle that bull toward the QB or she'd of he's going to be useful this year. In the off-season we need to start seeing a full repertoire.

He might be going under the knife to fix his shoulder which will keep him sidelined for a while. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

He might be going under the knife to fix his shoulder which will keep him sidelined for a while. 

I mentioned earlier I have the same frontal labrum tear from playing Gary does. I was told surgery was a 50/50 chance of success. It's not like Tommy John or ACL where you're taking a ligament from elsewhere and re-attaching, you're re-attaching the fibers that tore. 

No guarantee that Gary gets the surgery. 50/50 chance + 2 months debilitated, + rehab may not be worth it.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

If he's going under the knife, the team punted on the year for him. He's been living with the injury for 390 god damn days.  

Not sure how that really matters if they think they can fix it. I think they decided together to try and get through the year without surgery. My memory isn't that great but do believe that was the report from earlier in the year. Before the season started. 

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Not sure how that really matters if they think they can fix it. I think they decided together to try and get through the year without surgery. My memory isn't that great but do believe that was the report from earlier in the year. Before the season started. 

There's never been any conversation about him having surgery and missing any time. It's not that kind of injury. If it was that kind of injury, he would have had the surgery at Michigan and missed games. He would have had the surgery last offseason and missed the combine. He would have had the surgery in the early preseason and missed minicamp/preseason games.

If he gets the surgery in the offseason, on his own time as a comfort/quality of life thing, cool. Good for him. Take advantage of that free NFL medical care, man. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's never been any conversation about him having surgery and missing any time. It's not that kind of injury. If it was that kind of injury, he would have had the surgery at Michigan and missed games. He would have had the surgery last offseason and missed the combine. He would have had the surgery in the early preseason and missed minicamp/preseason games.

If he gets the surgery in the offseason, on his own time as a comfort/quality of life thing, cool. Good for him. Take advantage of that free NFL medical care, man. 

Does every employer who offers medical insurance make it free? I'm pretty sure it's a benefit and part of a compensation package. Put another way, it's part of your pay and by all means he should seek the care he needs.