1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

Seasons over. It's ALL done.

Final thought - I wish the GBPs had selected someone of greater impact with the #12 pick.

Dont know exactly what they were thinking - but whatever it was, didnt serve the team well this year.

Period.

We need to be better.

If we're gonna suck - we need to HIT those draft slots.

Projects need not apply.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Final thought - I wish the GBPs had selected someone of greater impact with the #12 pick.

Dont know exactly what they were thinking - but whatever it was, didnt serve the team well this year.

Period.

We need to be better.

Projects need not apply.

Still a rookie season and behind two strong starters and a good 3rd guy in Fackrell. Next year he should be the unquestionable pressure package sub. That's where we'll see it.

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Still a rookie season and behind two strong starters and a good 3rd guy in Fackrell. Next year he should be the unquestionable pressure package sub. That's where we'll see it.

Understood - but again - if we're gonna suck and "earn" the high draft slot - we need to hit those selections by grabbing the (supposed) impact talent thats there - at whatever position.

Was there a better DL there at 12? We know there were impact WRs there. Plug and play guys.

I think the team could have selected someone who'd contributed this year and grown in year two.

Thats all I;m saying.

Not trashing his career to come - just putting a cap on the entire effort from draft day to end of season.

We didnt get enough from that draft pick -  which IMO - was a miss or mistake.

GBs not such a hotbed of player movement that we can afford our top talent taking sabbaticals - or learning on the job - which is one factor in the "AR wont throw to rookies" concept that drives me nuts!

Edited by Leader

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Period.

We need to be better.

Projects need not apply.

Get back to me in 2021. I think Gary will pan out alright.

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Leader, we had our shot, and this is what we got.  We'll be back at 30 this year.  That high-pick window has closed.  . 

Understood entirely. I was just putting my opinion on the decision now that the season (and his contribution/growth) is over.

Not ragging on the guy or looking to discuss his strengths/shortcomings. There's been more of that than necessary already.

I just wish - now that its all done - we'd selected somebody who would have contributed to *this* team.

I hope Gary eventually becomes a real player for us, but in total hindsight we blew the pick .. should have been a slight trade back for Jeffery Simmons.  That guy may have actually been able to make an impact for us against the Niners, and given us a top DT to pair with Clark for years to come.  Now at pick #29 or #30 or whatever we won't get a shot at that caliber of a DT.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I hope Gary eventually becomes a real player for us, but in total hindsight we blew the pick .. should have been a slight trade back for Jeffery Simmons.  That guy may have actually been able to make an impact for us against the Niners, and given is a top DT to pair with Clark for years to come.

It's been one season so no one should be already for hindsight yet. But even in this premature hindsight Simmons was coming off a fresh ACL and character concerns. That was in no way a slam dunk pick. It was a huge risk/reward pick.

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood - but again - if we're gonna suck and "earn" the high draft slot - we need to hit those selections by grabbing the (supposed) impact talent thats there - at whatever position.

Was there a better DL there at 12? We know there were impact WRs there. Plug and play guys.

I think the team could have selected someone who'd contributed this year and grown in year two.

Thats all I;m saying.

Not trashing his career to come - just putting a cap on the entire effort from draft day to end of season.

We didnt get enough from that draft pick -  which IMO - was a miss or mistake.

GBs not such a hotbed of player movement that we can afford our top talent taking sabbaticals - or learning on the job - which is one factor in the "AR wont throw to rookies" concept that drives me nuts!

I recall a lot of folks weren't crazy about us drafting Kenny Clark back in the day either.  Gary wasn't going to take snaps away from the Smith "brothers" this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I recall a lot of folks weren't crazy about us drafting Kenny Clark back in the day either.  Gary wasn't going to take snaps away from the Smith "brothers" this year.

True - but with Z's known talent for moving inside - it would have been nice to see Gary step on the field when he did so. Didnt happen - hence, his contribution / impact was blunted. Again - all I'm saying is that in pure retrospect of the entire season - we could have drafted somebody (at some position) that would have given this years team more production.

Edited by Leader

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

True - but with Z's known talent for moving inside - it would have been nice to see Gary step on the field when he did so. Didnt happen - hence, his contribution / impact was blunted. Again - all I'm saying is that in pure retrospect of the entire season - we could have drafted somebody (at some position) that would have given this years team more production.

Whom at that point in the draft would you have preferred we had taken instead?

Just now, Pugger said:

Whom at that point in the draft would you have preferred we had taken instead?

Nope. Not going there. Not opening this thread up to a total retrospective and reliving the entire 2019 draft.

Agree - dont agree - there had to be somebody available at #12 that would have given us more than Gary did this year - and perhaps then - going forward. Thats all I'm saying. When all is said and done with year one - we didnt get enough from the draft slot IMO.

30 minutes ago, Leader said:

Nope. Not going there. Not opening this thread up to a total retrospective and reliving the entire 2019 draft.

Agree - dont agree - there had to be somebody available at #12 that would have given us more than Gary did this year - and perhaps then - going forward. Thats all I'm saying. When all is said and done with year one - we didnt get enough from the draft slot IMO.

Jeffrey Simmons would have been about the only one. However he was out for most of the year. 

You expect more from your 12th overall pick than what he gave us this year, but it was pretty well known from the start that Gary will take some time to learn. We got a lot out of Savage (mostly good)