1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

Player 1 is Rashan Gary, player 2 is Cameron Jordan who was a popular comp for Gary. Give the kid time.

I think most fans (when level headed) are in that boat.  But we're fresh off an emotion loss, and our highest DP in a decade played in less than a quarter of our defensive snaps.  Marcus Davenport played in ~40% of the defensive snaps in his rookie year and Derek Barnett played in ~41% of the snaps his rookie years.  They were all 11-16 draft picks who were used on pass rushers.

• Like 1

Why doesn't Savage has his own thread?  We traded up for him and though he started, he wasn't a difference maker.  Yah he got injured, but I can't help but wonder if GB should have used the draft capital they had to move up from #12 to get a guy like Oliver or Allen instead of moving up for Savage.

The hindsight game is interesting to play and if you are going to play, I think you can get pretty critical of Savage.  Though you can't beat the name, so there is that to consider.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Why doesn't Savage has his own thread?  We traded up for him and though he started, he wasn't a difference maker.  Yah he got injured, but I can't help but wonder if GB should have used the draft capital they had to move up from #12 to get a guy like Oliver or Allen instead of moving up for Savage.

The hindsight game is interesting to play and if you are going to play, I think you can get pretty critical of Savage.  Though you can't beat the name, so there is that to consider.

Lol, Savage was a difference maker before he got hurt.  He had a bad game in run coverage yesterday, but he was absolutely a difference maker.  He is absolutely the best free safety we've had since Nick Collins. 

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He does.  He's just not nearly as polarizing as Rashan Gary was.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol, Savage was a difference maker before he got hurt.  He had a bad game in run coverage yesterday, but he was absolutely a difference maker.  He is absolutely the best free safety we've had since Nick Collins. 

I didn't see a difference maker outside of week one.  And in week one, we looked to have a team full of difference makers on defense.  Considering that we traded up to get him, I don't think he is outside of scrutiny.  And saying he's the best we've had since Nick Collins isn't saying much, right?  Now...he does have the skills to have a good future.  I just don't get how there is no animosity towards him like there is towards Gary.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He does.  He's just not nearly as polarizing as Rashan Gary was.

Nailed it.  

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not trying to pick on you, but it is a general pet peeve of mine when people talk about draft trades to move from one position to another as though it is a choice the GM makes on his own.

We don't know that Gute didn't try to move but couldn't find a trade partner.   Sometimes as much as a team wants to move, others don't want what you have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Not trying to pick on you, but it is a general pet peeve of mine when people talk about draft trades to move from one position to another as though it is a choice the GM makes on his own.

We don't know that Gute didn't try to move but couldn't find a trade partner.   Sometimes as much as a team wants to move, others don't want what you have.

I get it, no worries.  Tough to get someone to give up a pick for Allen or Oliver, which were the two that I think could have been targeted.  

19 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Agreed with this. I can't help but think that the packers were stuck at the top of the second tier of players. Devin Bush, TJ Hockenson, Ed Oliver, Josh Allen, all taken ahead of the packers and had really nice years, as i recall. Tough spot to trade out of, so you do the next best thing and draft a guy with high upside.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Nope. Classic mikepackfan B.S. Typical.

All I'm saying is we didnt get enough from the pick and all you can come back with is "if you cant select a different player - your comment has no merit."

The exact same argument that was posed with the DR selection. It was w/o merit then. It's w/o merit now.

Typical. I'm not even trashing the player. No call or basis for that yet. I'm saying that after year one is done and in the bank, the team should have gotten more from the selection. I dont need to come up with a different player and surmise how said phantom player would have done over the past year in an entirely different system - which would be pure conjecture. Total and complete.

Classic mpf. Classic.

Btw - I dont do "FO bashing" on draft matters. Never have/never will cause I dont follow college football. So (unlike some) I'm cautious with my opinions of players coming out cause I just dont know them. But after watching them for a year in the league? Yeah. Then I can have an opinion.

Classic mikepackfan is terrible quips. I rarely argue

Lol I completely forgot about this guy....how embarrassing.

Packers defensive scouts suck. Their evaluation of talent leaves a lot to be desired.

Still too early on Gary, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns into a bust or Another high pick, but average type player (samething as a bust).

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think it’s just more so like 90% or the draft community thought Rashan Gary was bad, so it still leaves a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouth when there were so many options that were so obviously gonna be better 

4 hours ago, Leader said:

This is a non-statement. My comment is complete and accurate.

I dont need to select some hypothetical player to prove its correct. Again - w/o bashing the player (as thats not my intent) - Gary didnt give us anything (or lets say close to it at least?) - and for a #12 pick - thats disappointing.

You dont think so? Youo dont think some other player could have given the GBPs more on the field this year? Fine. I'll disagree - but you dont need to prove it. I can live with our two (differing) opinions existing in this world.

I was disappointed that you wouldn't respond to my question about who we should/could have drafted instead.  To me if you aren't happy with a pick it is surprising you didn't have another preference.  I remember in 2017 I was sorry we traded out of the first round with Cleveland taking Kevin King in the early 2nd instead of TJ Watt in our original slot.  

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

He might not have had a great night last night but not many wearing green and gold did.  However, during the season when Savage didn't play you noticed it.  

5 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

Gary was always going to be a project. If you expected him to come in and contribute in year one..well then you were destined to be disappointed.

The disappointment is Gute taking a project that high in the draft, not the player himself.

44 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I was disappointed that you wouldn't respond to my question about who we should/could have drafted instead.  To me if you aren't happy with a pick it is surprising you didn't have another preference.  I remember in 2017 I was sorry we traded out of the first round with Cleveland taking Kevin King in the early 2nd instead of TJ Watt in our original slot.  

Asked and answered already.

There were 11 guys drafted ahead of Gary. A grand total of eleven. I'm sure some one player from the remaining......how ever many....could have been selected from the range of positions and provided more bang for the draft slot buck than Gary did.

At the time of the draft, I was hoping they'd select Brian Burns. Not because I was any expert on the guy, just that he came highly rated at a position of need for us (or one we were supposedly targeting). They didnt go that route - oh well - but I figured the FO had a plan and I was good with it. Turns out, by seasons end Gary was a bit more of a project than hoped - so hopefully @Packerraymond's comment about the organization making a (future) investment in the position will pan out.