1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

8 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean the capsule version on Gary was "Unlimited Potential, Good Kid, but very raw and needs shoulder surgery." So anybody who was expecting an all-pro performance as a rookie was barking up the wrong tree to begin with.

I was always kinda surprised we did tell him to bulk up from 277-285 to 290-300 and play the 5 technique.  He has the height, the long arms, and the speed to play the position.  His play against the run is pretty good...its pass rushing that he needs improvement on.  With the Smiths helping him out on strategy and technique, you would think that we will start seeing results next year.   But I still wonder....why not tell him to bulk up.  We need help on that defensive line plus with this athletic numbers, he could be create more of a mismatch against opposing lineman if he had the bulk but utilized the teachings from the Smith Brothers.  By way of example.... JJ Watt is 6'5" with similar arm length, quickness and speed and plays at 290-295 lbs.  

Edited by minnypackerfan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean the capsule version on Gary was "Unlimited Potential, Good Kid, but very raw and needs shoulder surgery." So anybody who was expecting an all-pro performance as a rookie was barking up the wrong tree to begin with.

Which is why I hated the pick originally. I would've pounded the table hard for Dexter Lawrence had we known how early he was going to be selected. 

That said, is it just me, or did we get our wish of having Gary played as a 3-tech later in the game? Could've sworn I saw him stack a double-team forcing Mostert to make an extra cut to his left at one point.

22 minutes ago, Joe said:

Which is why I hated the pick originally. I would've pounded the table hard for Dexter Lawrence had we known how early he was going to be selected. 

That said, is it just me, or did we get our wish of having Gary played as a 3-tech later in the game? Could've sworn I saw him stack a double-team forcing Mostert to make an extra cut to his left at one point.

He only played like five snaps in the game.  

On 1/20/2020 at 12:42 PM, vegas492 said:

Why doesn't Savage has his own thread?  We traded up for him and though he started, he wasn't a difference maker.  Yah he got injured, but I can't help but wonder if GB should have used the draft capital they had to move up from #12 to get a guy like Oliver or Allen instead of moving up for Savage.

The hindsight game is interesting to play and if you are going to play, I think you can get pretty critical of Savage.  Though you can't beat the name, so there is that to consider.

He does (all picks do). Just Gary is way more polarizing;

-Highest pick GB made  in 10 years

-The draft analytics community hated Gary (top 5 athlete, with round 2-3 college production). 

Combine these 2 things with a less than stellar year, an injury concern,  you still have an active thread going into the next offseason.

I still have hope on him. He flashed  a bit when playing. Hopefully Gary takes a jump and Pettine or whoever is the DC next year can find a way to utilize all three of our edge players at once

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

I still have hope on him. He flashed  a bit when playing. Hopefully Gary takes a jump and Pettine or whoever is the DC next year can find a way to utilize all three of our edge players at once

Gary had 200 plus snaps.  Fackrell had 400 plus snaps.

Pettine absolutely had 3 EDGE guys on the field often.

If Fackrell truly is gone, that frees up a lot of snaps for Gary.  And if I'm being "fair" to him....his reps got better as the season went on.  To me, he is doing the right things.

• Like 1

Lily Zhao -  Packers Matt LaFleur doesn't think first-round pick Rashan Gary will need shoulder surgery in the offseason. Said there's a learning curve for younger players, but he wants Gary on the field.

Bill Huber -  LaFleur on perimeter talent: "I definitely think we do" have enough talent.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Lily Zhao -  Packers Matt LaFleur doesn't think first-round pick Rashan Gary will need shoulder surgery in the offseason. Said there's a learning curve for younger players, but he wants Gary on the field.

Bill Huber -  LaFleur on perimeter talent: "I definitely think we do" have enough talent.

All of these comments look like shots at Pettine.  He's done for in GB!

4 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

I keep looking at Gary and think "Jesus Christ this guy is a 4-3 DE" so if you intend to keep him use him at that position. I would love to see him transition to an ILB but not sure he can do that. 

See

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

I keep looking at Gary and think "Jesus Christ this guy is a 4-3 DE" so if you intend to keep him use him at that position. I would love to see him transition to an ILB but not sure he can do that. 

I mean, the thing that makes him a a rare talent is how well he moves around at his size.  Why would you ask him to move around less?  He's probably better in coverage than either of the Smiths.

Like it's for sure clear he doesn't really know what he's doing, but if you want one of the edge guys to run down the field with Kelce, or Kittle, or Zeke, or someone Gary's better suited for it than Preston or Z.

Edited by PossibleCabbage