1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

Yeah a project just means they're not ready day 1 and probably won't be season 1... here a secret, most draftees are projects.

Projects need to develop, or they'll potential be busts.

Another secret, Gute normally looks for elite upside potential... and elite upside potential either goes with the elite top selects, or if they drop they drop because they're projects that needs development (and/or have off the field concerns).

But almost all of Gute's selections have been projects, as he searches for guys that if they can develop, will be completely home runs... of course if they don't develop, they might be busts as well... (tries not to look at the Packers 2018, day 2 and top of day 3, draft class)

Edited by Beast

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yeah a project just means they're not ready day 1 and probably won't be season 1... here a secret, most draftees are projects.

Another secret, Gute normally looks for elite upside potential... and elite upside potential either goes with the elite top selects, or if they drop they drop because they're projects that needs development (and/or have off the field concerns).

But almost all of Gute's selections have been projects, as he searches for guys that if they can develop, will be completely home runs... of course if they don't develop, they might be busts as well... (tries not to look at the Packers 2018, day 2 and top of day 3, draft class)

That’s a good point about the elite upside. Gary, Savage and Love are exactly that. 
Im all for it too. Swing for the moon in round 1.

16 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I guess you could put him there too. He does have all the upside you’d want. I viewed him as being safer than the other 3, so maybe that’s why I didn’t include him

Got it.  I didn't even look at him coming out due to size.  Happy Gute didn't stick to that standard.  So yah, I think he rolled the dice a little there, just like he did with Gary and Savage.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I don't define project that way.  It isn't simply a player who doesn't work out at next level.  There is no point to the word then as that can be almost anyone.  

To me a project can be or is:  

A hybrid player who is a stellar athlete in which you don't have a ready position for in your system.  Like Isaiah Simmons or Reddick for Cardinals for example.

A position change for a different role in NFL.  Like Leonard Floyd for Bears going from mostly off ball LB to edge rusher.   Or moving a big WR to TE or a DL to OL.  

A top athlete without great college production or play for whatever reason(s)  - I would put Gary in this category.   

A  raw or perhaps inexperienced athlete without requisite skills of the position.  Usually someone who wins with just better raw power or more speed than opponent.  Like Marcus Davenport.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I don't define project that way.  It isn't simply a player who doesn't work out at next level.  There is no point to the word then as that can be almost anyone.  

To me a project can be or is:  

A hybrid player who is a stellar athlete in which you don't have a ready position for in your system.  Like Isaiah Simmons or Reddick for Cardinals for example.

A position change for a different role in NFL.  Like Leonard Floyd for Bears going from mostly off ball LB to edge rusher.   Or moving a big WR to TE or a DL to OL.  

A top athlete without great college production or play for whatever reason(s)  - I would put Gary in this category.   

A  raw or perhaps inexperienced athlete without requisite skills of the position.  Usually someone who wins with just better raw power or more speed than opponent.  Like Marcus Davenport.  

I don't believe I ever said it was simply a player that doesn't work out at the next level... 

Sounds like you're describing the word tweener more than project with the first one.

And the second one is basically what I was talking about... needs more development, a project.

• Like 1

Man Gary found himself some bend in the offseason though.  Not a chance that 270 Gary would have had that pressure on the Sullivan pick, had to get his hips past the RB and still got his hands in Stafford's face.  Rushing with almost too much of a plan at this point, but that's going away quick with reps.  Seems likely you can pencil him in for 12-14 sacks this year, just given how much they've been feeding him prime rushing snaps in the first two games and his win rate on those.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Man Gary found himself some bend in the offseason though.  Not a chance that 270 Gary would have had that pressure on the Sullivan pick, had to get his hips past the RB and still got his hands in Stafford's face.  Rushing with almost too much of a plan at this point, but that's going away quick with reps.  Seems likely you can pencil him in for 12-14 sacks this year, just given how much they've been feeding him prime rushing snaps in the first two games and his win rate on those.

Disagree, keep giving guys the fastball until somebody proves they can hit it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Disagree, keep giving guys the fastball until somebody proves they can hit it.

Didn't mean it in that way, I agree with you; more that at first he was looking to hand fight almost too much, to the point where he was engaging with the OL even though he had them beat.  Figured it out though, just starting running by them once they got their feet set.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Gute seems to value guys he envisions as better pros than college players. Gary certainly applied, Jaire handled a massive jump in competition level tremendously and even guys like MVS and Runyon could pan out this way down the line.

Jaire played at Louisville, in the ACC.  His issues weren't LoC.  It was the fact that he missed about half of his junior because of injury (ankle IIRC) and he measured in a little shorter than ideal.  Add an extra inch and a full junior year and he's probably not making it out of the top 10 picks.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Jaire played at Louisville, in the ACC.  His issues weren't LoC.  It was the fact that he missed about half of his junior because of injury (ankle IIRC) and he measured in a little shorter than ideal.  Add an extra inch and a full junior year and he's probably not making it out of the top 10 picks.

Should have explained further as I don’t see the ACC as a bad conference by any means. More so in the sense that he was given massive responsibility from day one here, often covering teams #1s from the get go. No small ask of any rookie corner especially one many didn’t have a first round grade on. 

13 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Didn't mean it in that way, I agree with you; more that at first he was looking to hand fight almost too much, to the point where he was engaging with the OL even though he had them beat.  Figured it out though, just starting running by them once they got their feet set.  

Engaging with OL even when he has them beat..this is my biggest issue with what I saw last year. I did see it still in the Minnesota games once in a while but not near as much. He has the OL beat then does a weird stutter step right into the body of the OL. I assume he supposed to get to the inside on that but Im not sure perhaps thats why he does it, but that step makes him lose all the space he created off the line.