1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That was the rumor.  And we all saw what kind of awkward responses LaFleur gave.

Frankly, I hope it's true. I have LaFleur on a pedestal right now as a great coach, especially with the success he's had. He'd definitely fall down a notch or two in my book if he is truly the one who's not only responsible for keeping Pettine this year, but retaining him to begin with... 

Same goes for Mennenga for that matter. I hope it's true that MLF wanted Rizzi, but the money people said "no" so he had to go bargain shopping for a below average ST coach. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Frankly, I hope it's true. I have LaFleur on a pedestal right now as a great coach, especially with the success he's had. He'd definitely fall down a notch or two in my book if he is truly the one who's not only responsible for keeping Pettine this year, but retaining him to begin with... 

Same goes for Mennenga for that matter. I hope it's true that MLF wanted Rizzi, but the money people said "no" so he had to go bargain shopping for a below average ST coach. 

It's all speculation so I guess you can believe the story that makes you feel better.  I feel like there might be some fire to that smoke.  Pet was the veteran coach to season the very young first timer, I could see management heavily suggesting he stays.  As far as retaining him, I believe that was all LaFleur.  Rizzi, we'll never know but we messed up as an organization with the current product.

All rumors and speculation aside, what LaFleur does this off season will say a lot about his vision and ability to make improvements where they are needed.  I think both of those slots will be open but how the defense finishes the year will tell that story.  I hope coach is cold blooded when it comes time to make those decisions.  The title is the only thing that matters when it's all over.  We have a window now to get it.

I bet Pettine just sat Gute down and said, “Look here, if you give me two elite EDGE players in free agency, plus an above average safety, plus an elite EDGE talent to develop with that shiny 12th overall pick and then another safety with elite closing speed and playmaking ability, it doesn’t matter who your head coach is because I’ll give you a top 5 defense.”

And Gute probably bought it.

40 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Pettine in the San Fran game and so far this year has been lackluster, but his first two years here were fine. I was OK with him being retained, I'd only hold it against LaFleur if he's not gone this year. He can't adjust, either that or he's unwilling. Nott a quality I want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Wasn't LaFleur's hiring contingent on keeping Mike Pettine?

I don't think it was necessarily contingent, but leadership reportedly wanted Pettine to stay around. MLF said he was one of his top choices anyway, but who knows for sure.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's nearly a given unless you want some sort of lame duck situation.  I mean, if you're a DC candidate and LaFleur is demanding you keep Mike Smith (and whoever else), is the job overly appealing?

I mean it would be kind of lame to not give he DC authority on who he wanted, but I don't think having to keep a good OLB coach is make or break for you if you want a DC job.

I know how Cliche it is as a Packer fan,  but if Mike Smith is gone somehow, I'd love Greene to come back and coach Gary. Not sure if he's done with coaching for good though.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I would venture a guess that the Rizzi non-signing was a money issue.  Especially since Mennenga was a first year ST coordinator in college with no ST coordinator experience in the NFL.

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

would venture a guess that the Rizzi non-signing was a money issue.  Especially since Mennenga was a first year ST coordinator in college with no ST coordinator experience in the NFL.

Funny how rumors almost always persist well after being debunked.

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/46785/shawn-mennenga-brings-the-dave-toub-approach-to-packers-special-teams

"A source said the Packers made Rizzi a competitive offer, but that Rizzi declined the job for family reasons and that whatever job Rizzi takes, his family planned to stay in South Florida. He wanted a job that was more easily accessible to the Miami area."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/29/packers-eyeing-vanderbilt-special-teams-coach-shawn-mennenga/2711911002/

"The Packers tried to hire highly respected Miami Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi, but even though they were able to get him to make a visit they didn’t blow him away with their offer. Rizzi would have been working with a coach he didn’t know and moving his family to a cold-weather city.

Rizzi and LaFleur hit it off, the source said, but Rizzi left town without the offer he thought was forthcoming. Although the Packers met his number several days later, the source said, he decided to pull himself out of the running. He is expected to land with another NFL team."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I bet Pettine just sat Gute down and said, “Look here, if you give me two elite EDGE players in free agency, plus an above average safety, plus an elite EDGE talent to develop with that shiny 12th overall pick and then another safety with elite closing speed and playmaking ability, it doesn’t matter who your head coach is because I’ll give you a top 5 defense.”

To be fair Pettine's 1st year was pretty decent. IHe got 10.5 sacks out of Fackrell, I think I would have fallen for that as well.

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Can you blame him for buying it though lol

39 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

To be fair Pettine's 1st year was pretty decent. IHe got 10.5 sacks out of Fackrell, I think I would have fallen for that as well.

And last year except for the playoff loss, they were decent too.  Makes sense they'd think they'd keep trending up with young ascending players. 

This year, I don't know.  I almost get the feeling that it's actually better than what it feels like.  Taking a step back, it feels like explosive plays are down and we get beaten by a thousand paper cuts instead of consistent big plays (what it felt like during the Capers years and before). 

The ST is way more concerning, especially the last few games.  Those aren't paper cuts.  Those are trebuchets to the chest.