1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Real quick box score scouting shows:

Gary played in 44% of defensive snaps

Za'Darius played in 84%

and Preston played in 79%

So there is still room for his snap count to increase in year 3.  

Especially if Preston is trimmed to get some cap relief.

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Real quick box score scouting shows:

Gary played in 44% of defensive snaps

Za'Darius played in 84%

and Preston played in 79%

So there is still room for his snap count to increase in year 3.  

Have to think those splits will be much more even next season.  Limiting Gary next season won't make any sense, and splitting the reps has also seemed to help P-Smith

7 minutes ago, Pilprin said:

Especially if Preston is trimmed to get some cap relief.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I doubt GB is eating 8M to save 8M while losing Preston in the process.

I don't know how to nest two quotes.  Something, something, boomer, something...

I don't think Preston was as bad as people were bemoaning his play, but when he was out of position, or in a disadvantageous position it was pretty apparent.  My issue with making that cap space is it creates a hole at the OLB/Edge spot.  We are looking at either a draft pick or Ramsey, Garvin, Scott, Galeai or perhaps even Burks probably jumping in and taking over the 44% of Gary snaps.  All save a lot of money, but will more than likely be a step back in effectiveness.  

Spotrac has us with -25 million next year, but they are also running with the 175 cap.  If the cap stays the same, we are still looking at a couple of restructures and maybe losing Kirksey and we will be fine.  Unless we are fully on board with bringing back some combination of Linsley, Jones, and King, we shouldn't cut Preston.  But I am no authority on the matter.

But not to derail from Gary too much.  I think more opportunity will yield more results for him.  He is still very young, and probably still getting better and stronger.

17 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I doubt GB is eating 8M to save 8M while losing Preston in the process.

The Bak contract situation is interesting. It looks like he'll miss most of next season. Could his contract be renegotiated with some of next year's money pushed out into the future to make room for #33. I'm not a cap-ologist, so I'll listen to what my more knowledgeable companions here have to say. Has anything like that ever been done before?

19 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

You don’t pay a third pass rusher 16MM.  You just don’t do it.  Gary has surpassed Preston already in terms of net impact and he’s doing it in fewer snaps.  I would suspect Gary will be even better next season.

The choice isn't whether to pay Preston 16M, the choice is whether to pay Preston 8M.  If I am deciding whether to throw 8M at a competent edge who is part of a 3-way rotation or a very good RB who will be the lead RB in a time share backfield, I am paying the edge every time.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

If the 8MM allows them to bring Aaron Jones back they absolutely should do this.

I agree.... we are in a window now and A Jones isn’t just a rb, but a weapon. I get the “don’t overpay rbs” argument. I’ll counter with in my 25 years following the team we’ve dropped many picks on rbs and none have never drafted one as good (Green was a trade). The guy is a legit playmaker and better than any rb taken top 60 the last 2 years

Meanwhile Preston really hasn’t been that good. We can get 2020 Preston level of production  from a second round pick. 

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm to the point now where there's no way in hell I'm taking Brian Burns for the remainder of their careers if you allowed me to swap now. Gary was an animal last night, his bull rush is devastating.

Agreed.  I was a BIG fan of Burns coming out, but he was an awful fit for our defensive scheme.