1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

1 minute ago, R T said:

Another classic example of fans believe any player signed from another team is much better than the player they have

I kinda like the dude from what I've seen. I think he had a really good game once when I watched him though. 

That being said, yes, if he had been here a few years we'd all be asking for an upgrade methinks

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

I kinda like the dude from what I've seen. I think he had a really good game once when I watched him though. 

That being said, yes, if he had been here a few years we'd all be asking for an upgrade methinks

My point exactly, if the Packers had drafted this guy the fans would of been wanting to run him out of town a long time ago. 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 8:30 PM, Nick_gb said:

I’m 37 and feel 68, so I totally feel your pain. 😂

Old balls. Nursing home any day now 

Idk why I thought we were the exact same age. Though I'm 36 here in not too long

14 minutes ago, R T said:

My point exactly, if the Packers had drafted this guy the fans would of been wanting to run him out of town a long time ago. 

It's crazy how often this happens. There are so many guys that we are like get the **** out of town but if they had never played in GB they were be so intriguing. One of my favorite things about fandom

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Nice. Things are looking up for me next year then! :)

That period from late 30's to early 50's should be a great income earning period for most people. The toughest thing for men to overcome in that timeframe will be themselves and their battle with a midlife crisis. Survive that and you should come out the other side to a nice second half of life. The battle will be real. 

41 minutes ago, R T said:

That period from late 30's to early 50's should be a great income earning period for most people. The toughest thing for men to overcome in that timeframe will be themselves and their battle with a midlife crisis. Survive that and you should come out the other side to a nice second half of life. The battle will be real. 

Oh I just got divorced 6 months ago. I'm in the middle of this battle called life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R T said:

Another classic example of fans believe any player signed from another team is much better than the player they have. 

9O8NbMz6_normal.jpg

New #Packers LB De'Vondre Campbell has played in 75 career games, hasn't missed a game since 2016, has four straight seasons with 90+ tackles, and is a consistent tackler. PFF grades are not good. Has never received good grades against the run or in coverage.

L-WJ-jBV_normal.jpg

He is Antonio Morrison and Christian Kirksey. One-down LB and it’s.... fine.

PFF is not the end all be all, especially on coverages. He seems to have the ability to cover ground more than Morrison or Goodson, can’t thump like they could but that’s a less important attribute until the pendulum swings back. I think for his price he’s a strong addition to the greenest room we have. 

OLB on the other hand has the perfect mix of youth/experience, talent/potential.  Gary turning into Bane and a 4th guy taking a step would make that a fearsome part of this D. 

Ah.  Rashaan Gary Talk.

As a fan, you really had to question the pick simply because of the lack of production.  It took a lot of film breakdown to see what he was asked to do versus what he could have done at Michigan.

So then he's a Packer.  I remember thinking he was too pudgy to be an EDGE.  Then he cut the weight.  Speed showed up as a rookie, but man he was raw.

Then it's last year, a COVID year.  And the kid kept getting better and better.  Started seeing some pass rush counters.  And he kept the weight off, while keeping strength.

Huge year for him.  As as fan, I was hoping for more initially from a top pick.  But I can't argue against where he was versus where he is now.  Really hope he explodes.  Kid has done a lot of work on his body and technique.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norm said:

Old balls. Nursing home any day now 

Idk why I thought we were the exact same age. Though I'm 36 here in not too long

We’ll, with your drinking problem you probably feel a lot older than 35. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Ah.  Rashaan Gary Talk.

As a fan, you really had to question the pick simply because of the lack of production.  It took a lot of film breakdown to see what he was asked to do versus what he could have done at Michigan.

So then he's a Packer.  I remember thinking he was too pudgy to be an EDGE.  Then he cut the weight.  Speed showed up as a rookie, but man he was raw.

Then it's last year, a COVID year.  And the kid kept getting better and better.  Started seeing some pass rush counters.  And he kept the weight off, while keeping strength.

Huge year for him.  As as fan, I was hoping for more initially from a top pick.  But I can't argue against where he was versus where he is now.  Really hope he explodes.  Kid has done a lot of work on his body and technique.

I'm excited to see where this kid goes this year. I wasn't fond of the pick tbh. I think Gary and Savage have monster years this year. Throw in Jenkins and what a draft class that is turning out to be. 

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm excited to see where this kid goes this year. I wasn't fond of the pick tbh. I think Gary and Savage have monster years this year. Throw in Jenkins and what a draft class that is turning out to be. 

Very true.

I didn't like the Gary pick at the time, and I REALLY didn't like the Savage pick.  Jenkins shocked me, but from the little tape I saw of him, I knew he would be a good player.

To me, it seemed like GB was drafting an athlete and not a player with Gary and Savage.  They've both proved me wrong so far, and I hope they still do.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R T said:

Think I went through mine over lockdown

3 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

We’ll, with your drinking problem you probably feel a lot older than 35. 😂

Hey I've barely drank since Monday lol that's going to change tonight. Just about to get home from vacation

And that helps the pain though

Edited by Norm

3 hours ago, R T said:

Another classic example of fans believe any player signed from another team is much better than the player they have. ...

Zach Kruse...PFF grades are not good. Has never received good grades against the run or in coverage...

Ross Uglem...He is Antonio Morrison and Christian Kirksey. One-down LB and it’s.... fine.

Heh heh.  RT, not to belabor this!  :):). But again, I think you keep faulting FANS on this account.  It's fine to fault the fans for overvaluing a pickup too much, or getting too enthused about a barely-above-minimum guy, I get that.  But it was Gute and MLF who made the decision to sign the player.  So if you don't like a move, don't fault the fans, fault MLF and Gute for electing to sign the player.  (Heh heh, although doubtless MLF and Gute are perhaps a little more realistic in their expectations relative to some hyperbolic fans!  :)

Uglem makes a Morrison analogy, "one-down LB"...  MLF may be an idiot, but his scouting eval was VERY different from Uglem's one-down Morrison analogy.  Almost completely different, since Morrison was more thumper/run, while MLF talked about Campbell more from length, speed, and TE-coverage angle. 

I'm not much of a PFF expert, but I've certainly seen some cases where PFF was giving Packer defenders negative grades, while the coaches were saying they were grading well.  That may imply either of several things.  1.  The Packers have an incompetent grading system.  2.  PFF's scoring system is sometimes variably incompetent?  3.  Coach-speak is bogus, and their "graded well" may be relative to very low expectations or just be PR falsehood.  4.  Maybe the Packers can grade their own guys better than PFF, because they know the specific expectations and play calls; but perhaps for an outside guy the Packers can NOT grade any better than PFF?  Anyway, my thought it is that the Packers scouting may be better than PFF, at least as regards function for the Packers defense?  

I'm not at all assuming Campbell will be any good or make much difference.  Just reminding that it was MLF and Gute who thought he'd be good enough and helpful enough to be worth the (very modest) deal. 

• Like 1