Jump to content

1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I do not have stats that will back up my "eyeball" test.

But, I seem to recall Preston getting the majority of the right side edge reps when Z slides in side.  I think Gary has been exclusively a left side player.

That's correct. Preston was in coverage frequently and was lined up to the right side, which is why he was relatively quiet last year.

@Old GuyRashan is being bred as an elephant EDGE at this point. @vegas492Rashan can move to that 4i position simply due to his brute strength and athleticism. I'd expect to see Z kinda float over top of him and hit those soft zones as you mentioned earlier. Our front-7 would be a nightmare to contain in obvious rushing situations if we had a package with Gary as a 4i, TJ in the middle, Kenny and Keke to either side of him with Z floating around the middle and our ILB's lined up in a pseudo-odd front against what's in front of them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, thrILL! said:

 

I was not fond of this pick, but man to I love this kid's attitude. It's no wonder he made such a big leap last year and probably will make another one this year too. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Gary will have an All-Pro caliber season. Market down

Technically, an All-Pro caliber season would result in Market up :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Leader said:

Technically, an All-Pro caliber season would result in Market up :)

Market is up on Gary without a doubt. 

Mark it down.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Gary will have an All-Pro caliber season.

Market down

Then this defense is going to be very, very good! Dare I say, top ten? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Then this defense is going to be very, very good! Dare I say, top ten? 

I think this defense is going to be the best defense Aaron has ever played with. Point blank . 
 

Gary, Zadarius, Jaire, Kenny, Amos and Savage will all be blue chip players. That’s over half of your defense . 
 

The weak links aren’t so significant either . The line depth is a little thin . ILBs a tad unproven. Kevin King is inconsistent, but is certainly capable of playing well and with Stokes you have a bit of a hedge . 
 

When over half your defense are top tier talents, the sky is the limit. If Barry can put the defense in better positions , it as top 3 potential in my opinion. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I think this defense is going to be the best defense Aaron has ever played with. Point blank . 
 

Gary, Zadarius, Jaire, Kenny, Amos and Savage will all be blue chip players. That’s over half of your defense . 
 

The weak links aren’t so significant either . The line depth is a little thin . ILBs a tad unproven. Kevin King is inconsistent, but is certainly capable of playing well and with Stokes you have a bit of a hedge . 
 

When over half your defense are top tier talents, the sky is the limit. If Barry can put the defense in better positions , it as top 3 potential in my opinion. 

At one point we had Woodson, Collins, Shields, Peprah, Burnett, Collins, Williams, Bishop, Barnett, Hawk, Pickett, Raji, Matthews. That secondary was as talented as it gets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

At one point we had Woodson, Collins, Shields, Peprah, Burnett, Collins, Williams, Bishop, Barnett, Hawk, Pickett, Raji, Matthews. That secondary was as talented as it gets.

The secondary I’d give an edge to , although I believe it could be incredibly close. The pass rush this year has a chance to be special . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2021 at 11:17 AM, incognito_man said:

Gary will have an All-Pro caliber season.

Market down

I am not so sure.  I think he is capable, but my guess is that we will still have to extrapolate it for a certain number of snaps.  While he will get more and more snaps, Preston and Zadarius are still going to see a ton of snaps.  And if you believe in patterns, Preston Smith plays better in odd numbered years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitPr00.htm

I do love the idea of having 3 fresh guys that are all good to rotate. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2021 at 8:28 AM, Old Guy said:

I was not fond of this pick, but man to I love this kid's attitude. It's no wonder he made such a big leap last year and probably will make another one this year too. 

I called him "Nick Perry Jr." 

I appear to have been wildly mistaken in that assessment (TBF, I think Nick Perry was a decent enough NFL player, just nothing remarkable)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2021 at 7:31 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

I called him "Nick Perry Jr." 

I appear to have been wildly mistaken in that assessment (TBF, I think Nick Perry was a decent enough NFL player, just nothing remarkable)

Gary is far more athletic than Perry. Perry was an old school 4-3 speed end that we tried to convert to an elephant OLB behind Peppers and it failed.

 

On 7/3/2021 at 2:03 PM, Old Guy said:

Then this defense is going to be very, very good! Dare I say, top ten? 

The slightly revamped secondary and IDL have to check out first. Maybe 2022?

 

On 7/5/2021 at 10:37 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

I do love the idea of having 3 fresh guys that are all good to rotate. 

It's why we don't have to worry about the position for another year most likely. Still, I'd like to see us bring back P. Smith on a smaller contract if at all possible. He just offers too much whether his stats reflect that or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2021 at 3:13 AM, VonKarman said:

At one point we had Woodson, Collins, Shields, Peprah, Burnett, Collins, Williams, Bishop, Barnett, Hawk, Pickett, Raji, Matthews. That secondary was as talented as it gets.

I apologize for the sheer pedantry I'm about to engage in but I simply can't help myself.  Barnett and Burnett technically played on the same team, but both were lost for the season week 4 in 2010, and that was Barnett's last game as a Packer.  Peprah was sort of Lord Emperor of JAGs; love the guy and he had a great mind but just didn't have the athleticism to be anything special. Also you had Collins in there twice.  And you left Jenkins off, who was overrated at times but definitely deserves to make the list if Bishop does.  

2010 had a better secondary, but not by as much as it feels like it should.  Woodson is clearly the best player on either team, but I probably put Jaire second and I'd take Savage/Amos over Collins/Peprah even if Collins is the best of the four.  Williams/Shields has a solid lean on King/whoever, but it's not a total slaughter.  On the other hand, the pass rush isn't even close; 2021 is night and day ahead of the 2010 group.  Matthews/Raji and Z/Clark cancel each other out more or less even if I think it leans 2021, but Preston/Gary are night and day ahead of Zombo/Walden.  Neither team had good depth at the inside rush, but I'd take Keke/Lowry over Jenkins/Wilson/Wynn and that's ignoring that Z and Gary can both rush from the interior.  

Run defense is 2010 all day and it's not close.  Much better ILB unless the 2021 group makes some huge jumps, and Pickett/Raji is much better closing down the interior than Clark/Lowry.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe said:

Gary is far more athletic than Perry. Perry was an old school 4-3 speed end that we tried to convert to an elephant OLB behind Peppers and it failed.

Nick Perry combine:  6'3'' 271 pounds.  4.64 in the 40.  7.25 3 cone.  38.5 vertical.  10'4'' broad.  35 reps on the bench.

Rashan Gary combine:  6'4'' 277 pounds.  4.58 in the 40.  7.26 3 cone.  38 vertical.  10 foot broad.  26 reps on the bench.

Yah, I'd say that based on the combine workouts, they are athletic equals.

I'll maintain that Perry, though, was a workout warrior.  There wasn't much, except for the bench, that showed up even when he was healthy.

Gary's stuff has shown up already.  And he has much more that he can do.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...