1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Thank you for admitting you dont know anything about Gary and are solely piggybacking off of media members. Proves my initial point. Carry on. 

You said he was always double teamed and wasn't asked to make plays. You were wrong. Deal with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JaireAlex said:

That's for the coaches. I don't lay that at Gary's feet since Winovich was worse there even. Seems a problem at Michigan.

If we're going by that metric, I'd say 90% of defensive players don't play angry.  I don't need a player to play angry to be good.

Just now, CWood21 said:

If we're going by that metric, I'd say 90% of defensive players don't play angry.  I don't need a player to play angry to be good.

There's a difference between controlled and uncontrolled anger.

Anyways, I think you are ignoring my point completely or maybe I wasn't clear enough. Gary is very much the very OPPOSITE of that, what is needed in the interior on defense more than anywhere. Hope that makes more sense. 

7 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You said he was always double teamed and wasn't asked to make plays. You were wrong. Deal with it.

No, I didnt. I said he was routinely double teamed and schemed against. He was asked to take on blockers to free up his LBs. But continue to fail at reading comprehension. It's what Packer fans are good at. You watching a few minutes of YouTube doesnt make you correct. Enjoy having no opinions for yourself. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

No, I didnt. I said he was routinely double teamed and schemed against. He was asked to take on blockers to free up his LBs. But continue to fail at reading comprehension. It's what Packer fans are good at. You watching a few minutes of YouTube doesnt make you correct. Enjoy having no opinions for yourself. 

I always do - they rock

42 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

As long as he doesn't get egg on his face, I'm good    thankya.gif

It is okay though.  The chip on the shoulder can be used to scoop the egg off the face.  Kind of like dip.  Maybe the chip on his shoulder will be one of those Fritos scoop chips.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Acrid Josher said:

I think you're reading way more into the article than is there- at the very least you've chosen an extremely pessimistic take based on the raw prose we both read. Just because you don't know who some of the people in his life are don't mean they are bad influences.

If anything the article you linked gave me the impression he's got a good head on his shoulders. You know what is more of a scam? Giving a professional agent a traditional cut of a rookie contract that is all-but-set by the CBA rookie-payscale.

As far as the 'concentrated on football or..." narrative, I don't tend to buy that in most cases. Look how far this young man has gotten in football at this point in his life. Further than almost anyone else in his peer group. Saying these guys should be machines that have no life outside football isn't healthy and doesn't necessarily make better football players.

All I’m saying is, I hope Gute’s Goons vetted this out. 

I agree the rookie wage scale should make agents obsolete. The league and players union should work towards eliminating them for rookie deals.

Watching Gary it's easy to fall in love with the potential.  He plays so light on this feet for a 280+ guy it's almost surreal.  Like I just forget how big he is because he doesn't move like that.  Never looks sluggish, it all plays naturally for him.  He's not a workout warrior by any means, those crazy athletic numbers show on the field.

There's concerns too.  Total lack of a rush plan more often than not and his hands are basically just meat blocks attached to his arms because he doesn't use them when he's rushing.  Isn't the sort of hair on fire rusher who can make that work for him by just going full bull in a china shop through the OL.  On the other hand, if I was putting together a short list of players I'd want Gary around to learn from by osmosis for Pettine's system, Z. Smith would absolutely be on it.  Smith isn't half the athlete Gary is, but he plays violently and his hands are registered lethal weapons, he throws them around like it's a street fight.  He's always clubbing, swiping or punching, he never lets OL stay locked on him.  Hopefully Gary pays close attention in practice, because if he can master the actual craft of pass rushing his ceiling is sky high.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

Exactly.

That is my only dig at all on him. He won't be a nasty. I don't see it "develop". But I don't think CMIII ever had that either.

The rest the knocks on Gary (every one) are  BS imo. His coaches and team have his back. His coaching didn't much help develop him it seems, nor his teammates. And kid is extra young -- not just his age, but acts younger even. Really not worried, neither is Pettine. I see steal all over this. Just something of a maturity issue. The GB locker room might be a good place for him.

You know I wasn't thrilled with pick.  Still feel that way.  But I do feel better because of his reaction to being draft.  Kid teared up, smiled the biggest smile of the night, put that hat on and let those emotions out.  He was thrilled to be our pick, and I dig him for that.  I absolutely loved his reaction.  He didn't react like a kid who sees a big payday.  He reacted like a kid whose worked to get here and is thrilled to be going to Green Bay.

If he can get 6 sacks this year, I'll buy his jersey.  And I've not bought a jersey since Favre.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I tried finding it, but I couldn't.  Somewhere in the draft discussion thread a month or so ago I said that I would love Rashan Gary if the Packers drafted him, suggesting that if we trust his personality, he'd be a great pick. 

Since that post, I had soured on him based on what people had suggested.  Production, personality, intelligence, effort, love for the game...

After we drafted him, after I found that to be a bunch of bull****, I'm in love with this pick.  Dude's a top 3 pick physically.  He's a number one overall pick physically.  In fact, he matches up eerily similarly to Clowney and Peppers, two players who did, in fact, go first/second overall. 

I feel like this might turn out to be one of the best Packer classes of all time. 

I don't like Gary because that second contract is going to be HUGE!!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If they could teach Sitton a way more complicated position with all of his issues, teaching Gary should not be an issue.

There's always a learning disability/intelligence balance, but he's a pass rusher. You could teach a fairly intelligent golden retriever that spot.

No thumbs.  Takes the Golden into the 6'th round.  

40 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Jadeveon Clowney was like 10x better in college than Gary. Come on guys. We're reaching Josh Jones levels of out of control hype.

I mean, I think you use him like Houston uses Clowney- just move him all over, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 technique, and off ball linebacker.  He might not be elite at any of those things but he can do all of them and he's big fast and physical enough that you have to account for him in blocking schemes, which is a headache of Pettine is changing things up like he is wont to do.

Personally "college production" is the thing I care least about when it comes to edges.