1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

12 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Call me crazy, but I like the Gary pick. As I said in the other thread, he constantly commanded double and triple teams and was still a force (more than his stats would have you believe), and that was while playing with an injured shoulder last year which caused him to miss a few games. If anybody has the "will make a much better pro than college player" moniker, it's him (Clay's stats weren't that great in college, either, just sayin'). 

He's also versatile and can be moved in and out much like ZDS. He can play DE on 1st and 2nd down and move to LB on 3rd down when Zad gets moved inside.

Yup Clay had 5.5 sacks in college 

2 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I will continue to be cautiously optimistic about this pick until I am proven wrong. 

that's fine, I didn't like it at all. I'm warming up some, but there's red flags.

this is one of them. But he did do 26 reps with his shoulder "issue" that popped up late from (as far as I know) unknown sources that were then directly addressed by both Gary and someone who knows (Gute).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Have to figure that both Gutey and Gary addressed the shoulder thing because it was the latest "breaking news" about him, so someone in the media was going to ask about it.

They knew about it after the Combine. My guess is some team in the late teens/early 20s leaked it because they wanted Rashan Gary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If they could teach Sitton a way more complicated position with all of his issues, teaching Gary should not be an issue.

There's always a learning disability/intelligence balance, but he's a pass rusher. You could teach a fairly intelligent golden retriever that spot.

Oh my golden retriever can go get the quarterback, he just won't bring him back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I tried finding it, but I couldn't.  Somewhere in the draft discussion thread a month or so ago I said that I would love Rashan Gary if the Packers drafted him, suggesting that if we trust his personality, he'd be a great pick. 

Since that post, I had soured on him based on what people had suggested.  Production, personality, intelligence, effort, love for the game...

After we drafted him, after I found that to be a bunch of bull****, I'm in love with this pick.  Dude's a top 3 pick physically.  He's a number one overall pick physically.  In fact, he matches up eerily similarly to Clowney and Peppers, two players who did, in fact, go first/second overall. 

I feel like this might turn out to be one of the best Packer classes of all time. 

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I remember this.

Maybe it was 1 of these posts.  @Outpost31

6 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Pretty sure I derided someone for wanting this guy. I thought he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder. 

Nobody who is 6'4 280, runs a 4.5, and has good jumps/agility drills is s a 2nd rounder, even if all they do on the field is stand there and pick their nose.

Some coach somewhere is going to stand on a table and shout that they are convinced they can make him a star.  So when it comes to freaky athletes you're either in or you're not.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

1 hour ago, gopackgo247 said:

Man I like all the love and support his new teammates are showing him. Even Rodgers is happy lol. Someone should do a side by side draft reaction comparison of Gary and Dix. Haha clearly didn't want to be here this guy does.

• Like 2

I did not view Gary as an EDGE prospect.  Thought he was a bit undersized to be a DL player.  I do like the athletic profile.  Just did not see the profile transfer to performance often enough on the field in the games/stuff I watched.  NOt sure what to make of the sports agency thing.  Seems like a flag if he is not fully committed to being the best football player he can be.  

Trust the scouts and staff did their due diligence on that aspect of things.  SHoulder could certainly be an issue down the line as well.  

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Nobody who is 6'4 280, runs a 4.5, and has good jumps/agility drills is s a 2nd rounder, even if all they do on the field is stand there and pick their nose.

Some coach somewhere is going to stand on a table and shout that they are convinced they can make him a star.  So when it comes to freaky athletes you're either in or you're not.

I get what you're saying, but we drafted a guy in the 7th round last year that was 6'3" 250 w/ a 4.4 40, elite jumps and good agility. The play on the field does matter and I for sure disagreed with Gute on Gary's before the draft. I'm on board with the pick now, because I'm not the guy who thinks he knows better than our front office. 

Just now, deathstar said:

I get what you're saying, but we drafted a guy in the 7th round last year that was 6'3" 250 w/ a 4.4 40, elite jumps and good agility. The play on the field does matter and I for sure disagreed with Gute on Gary's before the draft. I'm on board with the pick now, because I'm not the guy who thinks he knows better than our front office. 

Density matters a lot though.  Being that athletic at 277 is much rarer than being that athletic at 250.  Like we saw how much "adding 20 lbs" destroyed Polite's athleticism.

Like it or not, Pettine wants beef on the edges.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Man I like all the love and support his new teammates are showing him. Even Rodgers is happy lol. Someone should do a side by side draft reaction comparison of Gary and Dix. Haha clearly didn't want to be here this guy does.

I want to the the 40 from the combine with these two both running because Gary is faster than Dix. :D

Glad his slow, no tackling *** is out of town. 

• Like 3