1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

13 minutes ago, Norm said:

Man, he's so lazy! I love this pick, I get the risk but the upside is stupid insane and I think all this stuff trying to make him look stupid and lazy feels like absolute BS to me.

I am not sure the "lazy" tag was from play on the field, but more the starting of the sports agent business as a potential flag regarding his full dedication to being a player first and foremost.

As I mentioned elsewhere, that was and is my concern with him in addition to the elite athlete lacking production in college + the shoulder issue.  I certainly did not watch as much of him as others have, nor the GB scouts.  I am also sure that GB did their due diligence on him and feel comfortable with him going forward.  As with all these draft picks, time will be the best judge as to the merits of the pick.  

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Calling a football player lazy is a lazy take, but hey thats just me.

I'm pretty sure you are aware but I'm not sure lol, but I was being sarcastic. That was what I was told and before and after that he has "all these motivational issues."

Looking back I think we’ll be happy Gary was as universally disliked as he’s been throughout this process. Dude has to know how he’s viewed and I think that’ll help motivate him to unlock that unique skill set he has. Whether you love or hate this pick you gotta give Gute credit. You don’t get a guy with the upside of Gary in the mid to late 20s like we’re used to picking. This works out and we have a serious difference maker next to Clark for the next decade more than likely. 

I saw ppl online clowning him for crying after being picked but that just shows you how much heart he does have.  If he didn’t care, he wouldn’t be that emotional.  He doesn’t have to carry this D on his back and so he shall eat.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I saw ppl online clowning him for crying after being picked but that just shows you how much heart he does have.  If he didn’t care, he wouldn’t be that emotional.  He doesn’t have to carry this D on his back and so he shall eat.  

One of the feeds I was watching, ABC maybe, mentioned something about how many guys were emotional this year. Gosh dern Millennials, letting their feelings show after achieving their dreams.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ya but many of those plays weren’t sacks so they don’t matter.

Yea that's what the haters will say but watching his tape you see the doubles the chips etc and he's still making an impact. Others were feasting because he got all the attention. A lot of Packer fans outside of this forum are still upset about this pick, let em stay upset,  many of us on this site have come around on Gary. I'm so happy we didn't take OL or TE. At 12 you want a guy who can change and affect games, a guy teams have to game plan for and hes the guy with that potential. Gary has all the tools and physical gifts to be just as dominate as Mack if he can put it together.

'

26 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

It's like no one has ever cried before in the NFL Draft being picked and living out their dream. Yikes people.

• Like 1

So here's a thing I don't understand about the Gary skepticism.  Jim Harbaugh went on the record, more than once, that Gary was their best player.  He clearly wasn't trying to push Gary up the draft board, because saying that doesn't help out Devon Bush (who was already drafted higher) at all.  He clearly did not pick a "more productive" player on his defense to crown with "best player", since he had options for that.  So who is more likely to know whether Rashan Gary was a key component for Michigan having a great defense (the Ohio State game notwithstanding), Jim Harbaugh or PFF?

Like if Gary was actually lazy, or didn't develop, or was hard to coach, or whatever Harbaugh (who is not a man known to mince words) wouldn't have said he was their best player.