1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

51 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Except when the offenses went with no tight end - like the video I posted showed plenty of. Not a single double team either. Not gonna argue it - the video is proof. Don't know why people keep saying the same things when it's not true. I'm not saying that he wasn't double teamed at all - or that he didn't face strong sides, but it's frustrating that I keep seeing the same things being said as if he was up against the world every play. He wasn't. And great players tend to beat double teams every once in a while as well. I'm done talking about it until training camp

Did you watch his YouTube highlights? That’s what 10mins of his entire collegiate career? Watch every snap of his time at Michigan, which I’m sure the coaches did, and then come see me.

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

That might be the case with carrying out a sequence of directions, but on the whole this is a Moday to Saturday issue, not a Sunday one.

I think the thought was someone like Gary would get overloaded with: The tackle set deep twice in a row so I should make an inside move but what if he doesn't set deep this time, maybe a swim move, or should I use a spin move ....... and his mind gets cluttered and can't process or unclog it. And it gets worse as the game goes on.  LIS who knows

10 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I saw ppl online clowning him for crying after being picked but that just shows you how much heart he does have.  If he didn’t care, he wouldn’t be that emotional.  He doesn’t have to carry this D on his back and so he shall eat.  

Sometimes I think Thanos should have picked the Twitter half of the population

• Like 2

I really question how people watch "tape"  when they make comments asking why Winovich would make more plays than Gary.  Teams ran at Winovich consistently, and away from Gary.  He better be in on more tackles when he has significantly more opportunity.    I also see teams chipping Gary but not Winovich, even when Gary is on the backside.    The level of attention given to gary shows where opposing coaches felt the biggest threat came from.

I've also spent 3 days now reading about Gary not hustling or "playing with his hair on fire".    I don't see this as an issue in any of the 5 games I broke down.  Gary chases from the backside consistently.

Is development needed?   Yes.

We got a guy who is athletically gifted, plays the game hard, and his college coaches spoke very highly of.   People ere seem to think we would have been better off with inferior players who had a couple more tackles in the box score.  

Also seems a lot regurgitate the opinions of their favorite internet site,  without regard to that sites actual qualifications.  Most of these people know less than Mel Kiper.   And who the hell is Mel Kiper?

Rashan Gary is a serious football player. An increible talent who's best years are still ahead. He playerd thru a shoulder injury that did affect his play though he still played at a high level. Rashan Gary is also a DE who sets the stong side edge. He is not an OLB. How the Packers will use this talent should be one of the fascinating things to find out this preseason. Will they try to play him at times at OLB?  Do the Packers plan to run more 4-3 sets? Will Gary start opposite Mike Daniels or will he be more situational? Blue Chip talent and the Packers were lucky to get him.

6 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:

Did you watch his YouTube highlights? That’s what 10mins of his entire collegiate career? Watch every snap of his time at Michigan, which I’m sure the coaches did, and then come see me.

Will his stat line change if I do that ?

4 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Rashan Gary is a serious football player. An increible talent who's best years are still ahead. He playerd thru a shoulder injury that did affect his play though he still played at a high level. Rashan Gary is also a DE who sets the stong side edge. He is not an OLB. How the Packers will use this talent should be one of the fascinating things to find out this preseason. Will they try to play him at times at OLB?  Do the Packers plan to run more 4-3 sets? Will Gary start opposite Mike Daniels or will he be more situational? Blue Chip talent and the Packers were lucky to get him.

The shoulder is a good point. He was announced as a LB and Gute said that's where he will start out. I assume they will eventually play him all over the place ala ZSmith

13 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Guys have been getting sacks in the Big 10 for 100 years now. Something doesn't add up. It's as simple as that. It's not complicated. That's why everyone is calling it a boom or bust pick. He could be a Pro Bowler or not get a second contract in Green Bay. Neither would surprise me. Was it worth #12 to find out ? I don't know

I think his production dipped after he hurt his shoulder. The guy played with a nagging shoulder injury that would affect anyone's play.

One thing you fail to realize is that on this team he doesn't have to be the man or carry the defense like in college. He's playing on a defense that's deep with talent. You can't double everyone,  someone will feast. I think he fell to a team with the perfect scheme to showcase his skillset. He'll be a chess piece, Pettine will move him all over the line, it will be difficult for teams to scheme for him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

Bingo

I see a very solid floor for Gary. The lazy label is simply bs. He's not a "boom-bust" which often comes because of work ethic as well as size. Gary has the size, the athleticism, the tape that shows he really can play. He may not be a star but he'll be a very solid player. Good floor and the sky is the limit. A perfect fit for Pettine. An easy pick.

I completely agree with this. He’s a good run player and a splash pass defender. That’s his floor. 

Injury aside, he’ll be the AJ Hawk of EDGE/DL players. 

And then the upper limit is the sky. He’s such a good person and was naturally huge and fast in high school. He’s not a steroid guy. This is just him. No telling what he might accomplish. 

But im in total agreement on his floor. The masses have that wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Is his stat line and a ten minute YouTube video your only analysis?

Yep - that's kind of what we do here. Why is it any less credible than someone that says he's gonna be a monster based soley on measureables ?? 

Edited by cannondale

8 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Oh. I was under the impression there were a few guys here that did some relatively deep analysis on prospects. Is that wrong?

Nope - not at all. I was expecting a different response. And this whole thing started with fans saying he was double and triple teamed all the time and that's why his production was lacking - which I didn't find to be the case when watching video. It has grown from there. I should just say he's gonna be awezzzome and have 37 sacks, but I'm stubborn that way

Edited by cannondale

11 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Oh. I was under the impression there were a few guys here that did some relatively deep analysis on prospects. Is that wrong?

No, no....you're not wrong. I do deep analysis and such.....just on a very limited number of prospects. Somewhere around a handful +/-  :)