Lions Select TE T.J. Hockenson #8 Overall

davisblack

Quinn has just sucked all the fun out of drafts since he got here.  It would be tolerable if we were winning too, but we suck, and I haven’t been excited for a 1st round pick in his tenure.  The Pats draft boring but they have Bilichik so they win.  This sucks.  Had a chance to build a dominant D line.  Instead we take a guy at a position that has never been integral in winning a championship. 

• Like 6

Well, for some reason I am surprised even though I felt it coming. That said, and after some reflection, I have to find a way to be happy with this pick. I am a firm believer in manifest destiny and as a Lions fan (I will not change teams over this), I must think positively about the impact he will have on our offense. 

I strongly feel our base set on offense with be two TEs.. coupled with a good/improving ground game, we should expect to see a ton of play action. I expect us to take a G/C in the 2nd and then take BPA from there. I do think that Quinn/Patricia feel they can nail defensive talent in the later rounds (i.e. Trey Flowers).

Lets keep hope that they are right...

I honestly don't mind the pick. Tight end was a black hole for the Lions last year and I believe that Hockenson and James will be a massive upgrade. Hockenson is also an excellent run blocker so he will have an impact on the running game as well.

Now should they have taken Ed Oliver? Maybe, but they are pretty good at tackle with Robinson, Hand, and Harrison and will be even better with Flowers, a full year of Okwara, and Coleman covering the slot. Overall, the defense was a top 10 unit last season and will likely be better this coming season. I still think they will have plenty of good options in the 2nd to grab an impact defensive player. A lot of good secondary players will be around. Some really good wide receivers out there too!

40 minutes ago, davisblack said:

I would say a good defensive player has more impact than a great TE that's just me though.

I am certainly not disagreeing with you but I would like to add that most of the good offenses in the NFL last season had significant contributions from their tight ends.

• Like 1

I think this is falls under the “ok” pick. 

Allen going one pick before us stung. But I would have taken Oliver or the Denver trade down. I just hope the fan base does t reck him like Ebron. I think not trading down and taking a safe player is so Quinn. Dude only wants to hit doubles. But Hock was my number 8 over all player so it’s not a huge reach 

19 minutes ago, Typical_Lions said:

I am certainly not disagreeing with you but I would like to add that most of the good offenses in the NFL last season had significant contributions from their tight ends.

Yeah that is true, but none of them were top 10 picks except Ebron of course.