Lions Select TE T.J. Hockenson #8 Overall

davisblack

Anyway else tired of debating these picks when there appears to be a fundamental flaw in the core of this organization. The complete ineptitude and acceptance of mediocre has crippled this franchise. I can’t think of a franchise across sports that has settled and accepted below average. 50+ years of mediocrity at best.

This guy is the next Gronk or the next Ebron. Doesn’t matter. This is a drop in the ocean to our problems. 

You may ask, why be a fan-find a new team-not a real fan-etc, but I cannot be the only one that is truly dulled to this sport rooting for a team that just doesn’t care. 

Every year we seem to be focused on under performing players magically transforming into serviceable for us.

I’m tired of next year is our year and the following year planning on doing a rebuild. It’s an endless cycle of self rationalization that inconsistent lukewarm performances are something to believe in.

Being a fan for 30+ years. Following this team as they trekked and fought to be part of the middle of the pact has given me the right to question the very core of what this team is rather then if we should have picked a TE or not.

This does not invalidate the opinion of the first year fan or opposing fans. Maybe I should have questioned from day 1 why I supported this franchise.

Sincerely 

Defeated Lions Fan

• Like 2

I will never stop being a fan of Detroit sports, and its truly a curse. I've seen some good times with the Wings, Pistons and Tigers, but the Lions have been incredibly frustrating even though they have had two of the best players of all time during my years as a fan. I'll never stop being a Lions fan and watching all the bone headed decisions unfold year after year, and I believe that gives me the right (and all other Lions fans) to whine and complain about this terrible franchise that I love.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2019 at 2:08 PM, NFL_Fan said:

im sorry but you sound like a straight up cry baby...first off idk who you are even talking to. Only like one guy on this forum really wanted a TE....like one...its done with....what do you want. a time machine? Then you go on to say. "You guys know a TE doesn't improve the run game as much as a better RG would?" .....WHO IS ONE GUY THAT COULD OF DONE THAT? Draft a RG in RD 1? You're a genius lmao....You think you know everythin when you know nothing...you werent in the interviews...you werent watching all their film...and you havent put together a playbook that requires certain fits...you have no idea lmao...everytime you post I cringe. I cringe so hard I wonder is thi some young idiot or old idiot...Ed Oliver wont get more then 5 sacks this year....AND THEN LMAOOOOOOO YOU SAY BUSH....Who most DID NOT HAVE IN TOP 10....and stop sucking on Ed Oliver so hard...he aight but not Aaron Donald...

I'm not saying draft a RG in the first round. But they could of in round 2 or even later. I'm just not trusting in the winner between Oday/Kenny Wiggins. It's fine if you do. People are clamoring about the improvements the TE will make to our RUN game and I'm just simply pointing out the obvious, I think, that a better starting RG is more important to our run game than a great run blocking TE is. How they addressed it so far, imo, isn't good. They could of signed better talent in FA or drafted a younger kid to compete with veterans for the role. 

I'm just telling you what I think. It's just an opinion. I literally don't need the Lions "film" to decide how good a kid is. I don't need the Lions ideology at all really. I understand what you are saying about schemes, fits, and roles. But because I wanna spend picks on different positions/assets doesn't mean I lost sight of what the team is after or trying to achieve. I think it's complete miss management to ignore the TE position one year(last season) and follow it up by spending 30 some million on a TE, then spend a 1st rdp on a TE, and basically have back ups/fringe starters competing at RG for the role. Not to also mention we're relying on fringe starters to play the outside at CB(unless they force Coleman outside) and also look thin on the edge after the two starters... *Austin Bryant could change that, I did like they drafted him late.*

An I personally, I'd of drafted Ed Oliver and Greedy Williams. Not saying either are Aaron Donald or Darrelle Revis but I think they're good players... Something like Idk,  a smaller Tommie Harris and a taller Leodis McKelvin. Yeah Idk, Oliver/Greedy/Favorite OL prospect/Bryant would of made me more happy I guess. I just don't believe they'll be a playoff contender next year with the holes they've got or think Lions have. They have the season to play it out and prove me right or wrong.

As far as sack totals, there's a lot more impact to a DT play than just... Sack totals. How disruptive up the middle is a lot more important than just total sack numbers. He had a shot with the Lions to be on the line with a lot of 1on1's with Flowers/Harrison next to him. Situation on the Dline here is a little different than Buffalo. 

A lot of this form cringed when you tried to belittle me lording your own opinion over mine like... Calling me an idiot an such. I really didn't wanna respond to the post because we are just hardlined on different sides of the argument when you sift through the trash comments in that you don't think Ed Oliver/Bush are good. You trust or are accepting of the coaches/Gm. Great... I think different, end of discussion really. 

Edited by SimbaWho

5 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Tried to tell ya... he don't like throwing to the middle of the field.  Highly doubt tj changes that but guess we will see...

They also discussed the ineptitude of the guys he was throwing to and said that Hockenson should be a better option up the seam. They said he has the arm talent to make the throw. I think for Matt it's a matter of trust - he hasn't trusted a lot of the guys in the middle compared to a Calvin or a Kenny Golladay on the outside. An overthrow or a bad route outside is likely going out of bounds. An overthrow or bad route in the middle is likely an interception and a big return.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

They also discussed the ineptitude of the guys he was throwing to and said that Hockenson should be a better option up the seam. They said he has the arm talent to make the throw. I think for Matt it's a matter of trust - he hasn't trusted a lot of the guys in the middle compared to a Calvin or a Kenny Golladay on the outside. An overthrow or a bad route outside is likely going out of bounds. An overthrow or bad route in the middle is likely an interception and a big return.

Lol he won't throw the seam pass...its a rare thing for him.. idt he trusts his arm..a lot less margin for error over the middle... I honestly don't trust him playing this game (over the middle stuff) anyway

13 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I'm not saying draft a RG in the first round. But they could of in round 2 or even later. I'm just not trusting in the winner between Oday/Kenny Wiggins. It's fine if you do. People are clamoring about the improvements the TE will make to our RUN game and I'm just simply pointing out the obvious, I think, that a better starting RG is more important to our run game than a great run blocking TE is. How they addressed it so far, imo, isn't good. They could of signed better talent in FA or drafted a younger kid to compete with veterans for the role. 

I'm just telling you what I think. It's just an opinion. I literally don't need the Lions "film" to decide how good a kid is. I don't need the Lions ideology at all really. I understand what you are saying about schemes, fits, and roles. But because I wanna spend picks on different positions/assets doesn't mean I lost sight of what the team is after or trying to achieve. I think it's complete miss management to ignore the TE position one year(last season) and follow it up by spending 30 some million on a TE, then spend a 1st rdp on a TE, and basically have back ups/fringe starters competing at RG for the role. Not to also mention we're relying on fringe starters to play the outside at CB(unless they force Coleman outside) and also look thin on the edge after the two starters... *Austin Bryant could change that, I did like they drafted him late.*

An I personally, I'd of drafted Ed Oliver and Greedy Williams. Not saying either are Aaron Donald or Darrelle Revis but I think they're good players... Something like Idk,  a smaller Tommie Harris and a taller Leodis McKelvin. Yeah Idk, Oliver/Greedy/Favorite OL prospect/Bryant would of made me more happy I guess. I just don't believe they'll be a playoff contender next year with the holes they've got or think Lions have. They have the season to play it out and prove me right or wrong.

As far as sack totals, there's a lot more impact to a DT play than just... Sack totals. How disruptive up the middle is a lot more important than just total sack numbers. He had a shot with the Lions to be on the line with a lot of 1on1's with Flowers/Harrison next to him. Situation on the Dline here is a little different than Buffalo. 

A lot of this form cringed when you tried to belittle me lording your own opinion over mine like... Calling me an idiot an such. I really didn't wanna respond to the post because we are just hardlined on different sides of the argument when you sift through the trash comments in that you don't think Ed Oliver/Bush are good. You trust or are accepting of the coaches/Gm. Great... I think different, end of discussion really. 

I don't get why he sees an obvious hole and almost refuse to fill it..it was corner and imo still is... then te now ol

Sooo you know next year all the talk will probably be how we need ol.. And will again reach to fill that need... miss out on talent for need his story so far imo

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Lol he won't throw the seam pass...its a rare thing for him.. idt he trusts his arm..a lot less margin for error over the middle... I honestly don't trust him playing this game (over the middle stuff) anyway

Stafford has one of the strongest arms in the league - so I doubt it's an issue about getting the ball there. Could be an accuracy or a touch thing thing for him. I definitely agree with you, I think  he probably considers the margin of error in not making those throws. Stafford gets a lot of dropped balls - whether you want to blame the receivers, Stafford throwing too hard (or a bit of both) - that's going to be a problem and could lead to turnovers.

Interesting article https://www.detroitlionspodcast.com/bryce-rossler/2017/08/26/drop-rate-throwing-velocity/ It's a bit outdated but I don't think the general premise is off.

• Like 1

Stafford has improved his touch over the years but when he’s excited he sometimes simply lets a rocket go. His touch and habit of totally misjudging dump offs and swing passes are my two biggest complaints with his play. I would much rather see Stafford throwing 20+ yards than less than 10. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 10:01 PM, Lionized said:

How is Darrell Bevell 2 TE set game?

I don't remember the Vikings using it that much. When he was around we had Visanthe Shaincoe, Jim Kleinsaucer and Jeff Dugan.

I feel like the only time we had a 2 TE set with Bevell was when we had Shaincoe and Jim K in for obvious running plays.

Bill Musgrave did more 2 TE sets for us, after Bevell got fired.

• Like 1