Lions Select TE T.J. Hockenson #8 Overall

davisblack

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't remember the Vikings using it that much. When he was around we had Visanthe Shaincoe, Jim Kleinsaucer and Jeff Dugan.

I feel like the only time we had a 2 TE set with Bevell was when we had Shaincoe and Jim K in for obvious running plays.

Bill Musgrave did more 2 TE sets for us, after Bevell got fired.

What did you not like about bevell

On 5/14/2019 at 8:21 PM, TimeForChange said:

Anyway else tired of debating these picks when there appears to be a fundamental flaw in the core of this organization. The complete ineptitude and acceptance of mediocre has crippled this franchise. I can’t think of a franchise across sports that has settled and accepted below average. 50+ years of mediocrity at best.

This guy is the next Gronk or the next Ebron. Doesn’t matter. This is a drop in the ocean to our problems. 

You may ask, why be a fan-find a new team-not a real fan-etc, but I cannot be the only one that is truly dulled to this sport rooting for a team that just doesn’t care. 

Every year we seem to be focused on under performing players magically transforming into serviceable for us.

I’m tired of next year is our year and the following year planning on doing a rebuild. It’s an endless cycle of self rationalization that inconsistent lukewarm performances are something to believe in.

Being a fan for 30+ years. Following this team as they trekked and fought to be part of the middle of the pact has given me the right to question the very core of what this team is rather then if we should have picked a TE or not.

This does not invalidate the opinion of the first year fan or opposing fans. Maybe I should have questioned from day 1 why I supported this franchise.

Sincerely 

Defeated Lions Fan

This post is written with respect for Lions fans, so I hope it is taken that way.  I just wanted to say that I know how you feel trying to get excited about a team that, deep down, you feel probably doesn't have much of a chance to compete for a championship.  That's where I've been with the Minnesota Timberwolves in the NBA for many years.  Both of these teams (the Wolves and the Lions) have had some good and even great players over the years.  The conclusion I've come to is that their ownership is the problem.  At least in the case of the Timberwolves, our owner just doesn't have what it takes to build a winner.  Everything from the Joe Smith fiasco, to keeping Kevin McHale around forever as a GM when anyone could see he was horrible at the job, to the latest embarrassment with Jimmy Butler, the Timberwolves just can't seem to get their act together.  In a sport where there are only 5 players on the court at a time, the Timberwolves have not just one, but two number one overall draft picks on the roster and they are still a joke.  We have had some good players/rosters and I think Flip Saunders was a quality coach.  The only conclusion I can come to when a team struggles for long periods of time is that something is wrong at the top.  I suspect the same may be true of the Lions. 

One thing I will say about the Lions is that you have a very talented defense going into this season and I do think you will sneak up on a lot of teams who are underrating you right now.  I would be lying if I said that I hope you win the NFC North this year because my team is in the same division.  At the same time, I do wish success for your team because as a fan base, you all deserve the joy of cheering for a winner. 

On 6/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, Rockcity2 said:

What did you not like about bevell

The general lack of creativity in offensive play design (I think Harvin had more opportunities to get the ball in his hands as soon as Bevell left), the lack of trust he had in his QBs besides Favre (not that Jackson or Frerotte were any good), the overall predictability of the offense being a run first team and not maximizing the given talent around him.

Bevell is a good QB coach, but underwhelming as a OC. Seahawk fans said the same thing i think too. They weren't happy with him.

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The general lack of creativity in offensive play design (I think Harvin had more opportunities to get the ball in his hands as soon as Bevell left), the lack of trust he had in his QBs besides Favre (not that Jackson or Frerotte were any good), the overall predictability of the offense being a run first team and not maximizing the given talent around him.

Bevell is a good QB coach, but underwhelming as a OC. Seahawk fans said the same thing i think too. They weren't happy with him.

Yep I thought the same thing... his playcalling is so predictable 

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 12:54 PM, Uncle Buck said:

This post is written with respect for Lions fans, so I hope it is taken that way.  I just wanted to say that I know how you feel trying to get excited about a team that, deep down, you feel probably doesn't have much of a chance to compete for a championship.  That's where I've been with the Minnesota Timberwolves in the NBA for many years.  Both of these teams (the Wolves and the Lions) have had some good and even great players over the years.  The conclusion I've come to is that their ownership is the problem.  At least in the case of the Timberwolves, our owner just doesn't have what it takes to build a winner.  Everything from the Joe Smith fiasco, to keeping Kevin McHale around forever as a GM when anyone could see he was horrible at the job, to the latest embarrassment with Jimmy Butler, the Timberwolves just can't seem to get their act together.  In a sport where there are only 5 players on the court at a time, the Timberwolves have not just one, but two number one overall draft picks on the roster and they are still a joke.  We have had some good players/rosters and I think Flip Saunders was a quality coach.  The only conclusion I can come to when a team struggles for long periods of time is that something is wrong at the top.  I suspect the same may be true of the Lions. 

One thing I will say about the Lions is that you have a very talented defense going into this season and I do think you will sneak up on a lot of teams who are underrating you right now.  I would be lying if I said that I hope you win the NFC North this year because my team is in the same division.  At the same time, I do wish success for your team because as a fan base, you all deserve the joy of cheering for a winner. 

Solid post - thanks for sharing these thoughts.

I do agree with you while I'm also trying to not drink the Kool-Aid. Every pundit expects us to be at the bottom of the division. This is a difficult group of teams. You can look at each team and see legitimate reasons on why they should win the division. You can also see the weaknesses that could expose them. GB - Brand new HC, new scheme, etc. and a rebuilding defense; MIN - Cousins has struggled and Cook has been injured. Bad QB play and no run game is going to hurt; CHI - Defense had a ton of takeaways, nearly impossible to repeat. Offense heavily relied on the D to win games.

The Lions finished the season with a top 10 defense, have improved the rushing attack and have a QB that has thrown for 5,000 + yards and a knack for coming back to win the game. You have to win games to get respect but it is frustrating when the media spends 5 seconds on the Lions while gushing over the rest of the teams. This isn't the AFC East where the Patriots are a lock and you hope that the Jets, Dolphins or Bills can wind up with a wildcard berth.

• Like 1