Lions Select TE T.J. Hockenson #8 Overall

davisblack

2 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

i think burns is more then capable to get 12+ sacks...in one year...

youll see. check out panther mid season...bet hes killing it..and i bet half way through evreyone will agree that this team needs new ownership...

I really liked Burns but I don’t know if he’ll be killing it.  Same with Josh Allen.  It really depends on where you go.  I think they will not be in position to succeed/match the scheme as well as they would here.

No one will convince me until the kid goes out on the field and proves other wise that he was worth the 8th pick. I don't even think he'll start over James. 

I don't remember a lot on draft night but I remember becoming HIGHLY mad after this selection. Idk, not into the Lions. Came in to see the temperature on other peoples views and idk, most seem more positive than me. What sucks is I liked the the FA period for the most part, I mean solid B imo, then they followed up with this clunker of a draft and it's sucked the fandom out of me.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

No one will convince me until the kid goes out on the field and proves other wise that he was worth the 8th pick. I don't even think he'll start over James. 

I don't remember a lot on draft night but I remember becoming HIGHLY mad after this selection. Idk, not into the Lions. Came in to see the temperature on other peoples views and idk, most seem more positive than me. What sucks is I liked the the FA period for the most part, I mean solid B imo, then they followed up with this clunker of a draft and it's sucked the fandom out of me.

See Ya!

12 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

He's going to be one of the two TE's in 12 personnel formations... they'll probably mix things up and have both guys on either side. James probably is going to get the TE1 role to start but likely more as the blocking TE. I don't really care what his designation is if he contributes to another 2-3 wins and we're in the playoff hunt. I'd rather lose close games than some of the stinkers from last season. We better make Cardinals fans question whether Kyler Murray was the right pick in week 1.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 8:47 AM, Karnage84 said:

He's going to be one of the two TE's in 12 personnel formations... they'll probably mix things up and have both guys on either side. James probably is going to get the TE1 role to start but likely more as the blocking TE. I don't really care what his designation is if he contributes to another 2-3 wins and we're in the playoff hunt. I'd rather lose close games than some of the stinkers from last season. We better make Cardinals fans question whether Kyler Murray was the right pick in week 1.

You guys pegging him as a major contributor is already a red flag for me. This kid has to produce or it's a fire-able offense drafting him. 

An, I'm even more interested how much time you're willing to give him? If he struggles most of the first year is that... ok? Or is only ok if he turns it around.. the NEXT year... or the year after?

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

You guys pegging him as a major contributor is already a red flag for me. This kid has to produce or it's a fire-able offense drafting him. 

An, I'm even more interested how much time you're willing to give him? If he struggles most of the first year is that... ok? Or is only ok if he turns it around.. the NEXT year... or the year after?

He has to be a top 5 TE by year 3. 500 Yards and 5-6 TD's with an improved rushing attack is a good year 1 for me. 800 yards, 8 TD's is a good year 2 and anything above that year 3 and beyond is a good contribution combined with his work in the run game. If we have a top 10 rushing attack and a top 5-6 TE as a receiving weapon, that's a decent enough ROI.

Ragnow was supposed to be a top of the line OL and OC1 but had some struggles in his first year in a different position. If LG is still a question mark or he's not a top caliber player at his position (assuming we move him to OC or RG) then that becomes a questionable pick by Quinn. I'd rather see the guy develop and be a cog in a strong offensive line. These guys aren't drafted for just one year, they're brought in for multiple years. We won't care about a shaky first year if they wind up being Pro Bowlers and contributors of a Super Bowl run. Peyton Manning had a brutal rookie year and things worked out ok for him and the Colts.

6 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

1st rd pick should 100% be a major contributor. what are you talking about? and of course he will 100% struggle...every rookie will..EVERY SINGLE ONE... Some will adjust quicker...and still will be hit with different issues whether its coaching, family, mental, injuries...no one knows...but if he is playing with some passion and out there. Hopefully lead the team in TD Rec and 2nd in receptions...and hopefully hes one of our best blockers.

3 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I guess because I can’t unsee all the damage QB’s have done against the Lions in their first start or coming off the bench.

Or, I’m just nasty.🤔

I guess we can just take solace in the fact that Ryan is a pretty good QB and Darnold should wind up being a decent one when all is said and done.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I guess we can just take solace in the fact that Ryan is a pretty good QB and Darnold should wind up being a decent one when all is said and done.

We could. We could also be honest and admit the Lions have sucked for a long time.

January 1st, 2012. 

Happy New Year.

Remember?

Matt Flynn rewriting the GB record book. 31/44 480 yards, 6TD.

Stafford and CJ both had big days as well so it wasn’t all negative.Imagine Stafford passing for 520 yards and losing. CJ 244 yards.

2 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

We could. We could also be honest and admit the Lions have sucked for a long time.

January 1st, 2012. 

Happy New Year.

Remember?

Matt Flynn rewriting the GB record book. 31/44 480 yards, 6TD.

Stafford and CJ both had big days as well so it wasn’t all negative.Imagine Stafford passing for 520 yards and losing. CJ 244 yards.

Can't argue with that one lol

"He's just the back-up. This should be a good game for us...."

"He's just a rookie in his first start. We should be ok for week 1..."