Lions Select TE T.J. Hockenson #8 Overall

davisblack

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Can't argue with that one lol

"He's just the back-up. This should be a good game for us...."

"He's just a rookie in his first start. We should be ok for week 1..."

Yup. Games you think the Lions have a shot at always make me very nervous. That’s a lie. All the games make me nervous.🤠

The media got it wrong. Bobby Layne didn’t say 50 years. He must’ve said 100 years. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 8:36 PM, NFL_Fan said:

1st rd pick should 100% be a major contributor. what are you talking about? and of course he will 100% struggle...every rookie will..EVERY SINGLE ONE... Some will adjust quicker...and still will be hit with different issues whether its coaching, family, mental, injuries...no one knows...but if he is playing with some passion and out there. Hopefully lead the team in TD Rec and 2nd in receptions...and hopefully hes one of our best blockers.

I'm talking about not missing on first round picks and how they should be major contributors to your team, especially top 10.

This isn't baseball or hockey where they get "years" to develop everyone almost knows what they have in a player in two seasons. 

He's got to be good or it's a complete bust of a pick for where he was selected. Irv Smith can't come in and do the things as HOCK as a 2nd rounded and people be... "Ok" with that. That's not alright at all it's a miss management of assets. Most of you sound like you will be ok though just as long as he's a solid player, but your not looking at all the other players passed on, etc. You're all looking through the tiny lenses that is the Lions and saying/hoping this guy is good/great/awesome because that's what you're stuck with. Now people to get a good gauge on how good this pick is/isn't will have to follow Ed Oliver/ Bush/ and Irv Smiths careers( at least I will be. ) I really think Pre-draft people would of flipped out over what we've drafted vs what we could of drafted ( Bush/IrvSmith in rounds 1/2.)

All you are scared to post you want double digit TD's with 50 plus receptions and 600 plus yards minimum. An you shouldn't be. Karnage wanted it by year 3 of this kids career and its' like man... Why did you take him above so many other good players if that's all you wanted year 1?

You guys know a TE doesn't improve the run game as much as a better RG would? Idk, alot of reasoning and I'll have to be proven otherwise by this kid. The Lions have a long standing history of proving themselves wrong.... I'm not sitting here saying theres no shot this kid can be a top 5 perennial TE in this league, I'm just saying he's going to have to be to make his selection worth it and for the Lions to come away not smelling like trash. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I'm talking about not missing on first round picks and how they should be major contributors to your team, especially top 10.

This isn't baseball or hockey where they get "years" to develop everyone almost knows what they have in a player in two seasons. 

He's got to be good or it's a complete bust of a pick for where he was selected. Irv Smith can't come in and do the things as HOCK as a 2nd rounded and people be... "Ok" with that. That's not alright at all it's a miss management of assets. Most of you sound like you will be ok though just as long as he's a solid player, but your not looking at all the other players passed on, etc. You're all looking through the tiny lenses that is the Lions and saying/hoping this guy is good/great/awesome because that's what you're stuck with. Now people to get a good gauge on how good this pick is/isn't will have to follow Ed Oliver/ Bush/ and Irv Smiths careers( at least I will be. ) I really think Pre-draft people would of flipped out over what we've drafted vs what we could of drafted ( Bush/IrvSmith in rounds 1/2.)

All you are scared to post you want double digit TD's with 50 plus receptions and 600 plus yards minimum. An you shouldn't be. Karnage wanted it by year 3 of this kids career and its' like man... Why did you take him above so many other good players if that's all you wanted year 1?

You guys know a TE doesn't improve the run game as much as a better RG would? Idk, alot of reasoning and I'll have to be proven otherwise by this kid. The Lions have a long standing history of proving themselves wrong.... I'm not sitting here saying theres no shot this kid can be a top 5 perennial TE in this league, I'm just saying he's going to have to be to make his selection worth it and for the Lions to come away not smelling like trash. 

There are parts of your statement I agree with and parts that I don't. A first round pick should be a major contributor and instant impact for a long period of time. How you measure that contribution and impact are where we will probably disagree. Want vs expectation are two different things. I'd love Hockenson to come out and be a 1,000 yard rookie TE with 10 TD's. That's not going to happen. I'm tempering my expectations and keeping them realistic. If he has 500 yards, 6 TD's while our offense moves into a top 15 including our rushing attack improving to a top 15 instead of #23, I would consider that to be a major contribution and instant impact. If we're able to improve our red zone % and 3rd down efficiency as a result, I consider that to be a major contribution and instant impact.

Irv Smith might be a better receiving option (arguable but not a lock) but he'll have less of an impact on the Vikings run game IMO.

• Like 1

This dude needs a nickname...

Something like the Frankenstein... 

Dudes hands look good so far...made a silly catch about an inch from the ground... it's no Stafford rocket but ya..

We could call him Ritz....

The bull..

The robot...

The lieutenant..

Milkman...

The jedi..

The vampire...

Ghost..

Goose..

Tricia Jean....

Sweet potatoe

The psycho 

Cujo

The butcher

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

This dude needs a nickname...

Something like the Frankenstein... 

Dudes hands look good so far...made a silly catch about an inch from the ground... it's no Stafford rocket but ya..

We could call him Ritz....

The bull..

The robot...

The lieutenant..

Milkman...

The jedi..

The vampire...

Ghost..

Goose..

Tricia Jean....

Sweet potatoe

The psycho 

Cujo

The butcher

The Big Reach.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2019 at 9:35 AM, SimbaWho said:

im sorry but you sound like a straight up cry baby...first off idk who you are even talking to. Only like one guy on this forum really wanted a TE....like one...its done with....what do you want. a time machine? Then you go on to say. "You guys know a TE doesn't improve the run game as much as a better RG would?" .....WHO IS ONE GUY THAT COULD OF DONE THAT? Draft a RG in RD 1? You're a genius lmao....You think you know everythin when you know nothing...you werent in the interviews...you werent watching all their film...and you havent put together a playbook that requires certain fits...you have no idea lmao...everytime you post I cringe. I cringe so hard I wonder is thi some young idiot or old idiot...Ed Oliver wont get more then 5 sacks this year....AND THEN LMAOOOOOOO YOU SAY BUSH....Who most DID NOT HAVE IN TOP 10....and stop sucking on Ed Oliver so hard...he aight but not Aaron Donald...

4 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

im sorry but you sound like a straight up cry baby...first off idk who you are even talking to. Only like one guy on this forum really wanted a TE....like one...its done with....what do you want. a time machine? Then you go on to say. "You guys know a TE doesn't improve the run game as much as a better RG would?" .....WHO IS ONE GUY THAT COULD OF DONE THAT? Draft a RG in RD 1? You're a genius lmao....You think you know everythin when you know nothing...you werent in the interviews...you werent watching all their film...and you havent put together a playbook that requires certain fits...you have no idea lmao...everytime you post I cringe. I cringe so hard I wonder is thi some young idiot or old idiot...Ed Oliver wont get more then 5 sacks this year....AND THEN LMAOOOOOOO YOU SAY BUSH....Who most DID NOT HAVE IN TOP 10....and stop sucking on Ed Oliver so hard...he aight but not Aaron Donald...

11 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

How?

Because you seem unable to respect others all the while making derogatory comments about others which actually apply to you. 

You weren’t in the room either. You didn’t listen to interviews either. You reference Simba as a cry baby yet on other threads you were claiming the Lions were selecting by throwing a dart.

I don’t know if you recognize this is a discussion forum and others will have differing opinions. If you can’t handle that then perhaps you should reconsider what your doing here.

Drafting a TE in the first round has never proven to be a productive use of assets particularly in the top 10. Some may think it’s a great move and that’s okay. Different opinions drive discussion in a forum. 

One last point. SimbaWho has been here a long time. His credibility was established long ago. Given your minimal participation in the forum perhaps you should try listening to some of the posters and encouraging participation through discussion as opposed to insults.

• Like 2