2019 1.15 (15) Washington Redskins select QB Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

Woz

Our team is never going to tank. We will always win 6-9 and be just out of reach of top QBs.

This year. Just so happened the top QB on the board to a majority of people and analyst happened to fall in our lap.

He lacks experience and starting qb coaching. But thats a good thing for us because it helped us nab the top guy. Something we wouldnt have been able to do for years to come otherwise. Being 6 wins is basically our yearly floor.

Haskins was good in college. Has as good a form when setting and throwing as Ive ever seen. And thats with 1 year of starter reps/coaching in practices that are 20 hours a week. These other guys coming out year after year have 3x the amount in that regard.

Like him or dislike him. Hes the best qb prospect we could have hoped for. Cause if you like the qbs next year or last year better. Thats just tough because our floor wouldnt let us near them regardless. All pipe dreams.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I think the points have been made across the media and these boards. It is what it is. We didn’t move up to get him. That’s great. We’ll see what happens. I was never overly impressed with him at OSU for the next level. It is what it is. 

Then you didn’t watch enough of him. What he did as a Qb last year and vs Michigan in 2018 when Barret got hurt was proof even more so than Murray and many other young QBs that he can have the tools to be a great starter. 

I trust Casserly and Louis Riddick more than losers like Todd McShay, Kiper, a Sports reporter or a so called mock draft expert on the internet who runs a mock draft website who've never worked in an NFL front office.

Murray has gotten a pass for his lack of experience and he’s been awful through the whole draft interview process. I don’t get why Murray - who’s started less games than Haskins in college - gets hyped up when as a pocket passer Haskins has shown he’s better in every way except for he’s not as athletic.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Then you didn’t watch enough of him. What he did as a Qb last year and vs Michigan in 2018 when Barret got hurt was proof even more so than Murray and many other young QBs that he can have the tools to be a great starter. 

I trust Casserly and Louis Riddick more than losers like Todd McShay, Kiper, a Sports reporter or a so called mock draft expert on the internet who runs a mock draft website who've never worked in an NFL front office.

We went over this. I watched almost every OSU game. 

Just now, MikeT14 said:

We went over this. I watched almost every OSU game. 

Then what didn’t you like? He smoked almost everyone! His numbers vs Michigan -  top 10 D last year - and vs Northwestern - a top 25 D - in the Big 10 championship game were good. 

So, he played good to great defenses last year and played well vs them. Murray only played 3 good defenses last year with two games vs Texas and Alabama. Almost every week Haskins played a better defense. Drew Lock sucked vs SEC teams. He padded his stats vs avg or poor competition.

• Like 2

So after last night, I went to bed, and I woke up not as peeved as I was. 

I was not against the pick. I was against the experience of the pick, but I also wanted more information about what else was potentially available, i.e., trade backs, Rosen, something else? 

I was also peeved that, Daniel Snyder made this pick. Bruce cannot say no and Jay won't say no cause he wants the job. 

Its fine that Haskins is the pick. Sweat somewhat makes up for the pick, but we need more with the draft picks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mike23md said:

So after last night, I went to bed, and I woke up not as peeved as I was. 

I was not against the pick. I was against the experience of the pick, but I also wanted more information about what else was potentially available, i.e., trade backs, Rosen, something else? 

I was also peeved that, Daniel Snyder made this pick. Bruce cannot say no and Jay won't say no cause he wants the job. 

Its fine that Haskins is the pick. Sweat somewhat makes up for the pick, but we need more with the draft picks. 

I get everyone not wanting Snyder to make the pick but I mean this guy was worth it!!! But I get it because the one year thing!!!! But he did see action the year before and he just I don’t waste much time on one year starters and I love mobile QB’s and I couldn’t get off of this guy and I can’t figure out why because he’s not my type I fall for. But the way he played late in games and in big games honestly he just sold me. Now fix his feet they drive me nuts!!!

59 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I get everyone not wanting Snyder to make the pick but I mean this guy was worth it!!! But I get it because the one year thing!!!! But he did see action the year before and he just I don’t waste much time on one year starters and I love mobile QB’s and I couldn’t get off of this guy and I can’t figure out why because he’s not my type I fall for. But the way he played late in games and in big games honestly he just sold me. Now fix his feet they drive me nuts!!!

I want the coach and the GM to make the pick in agreement. It means there is a cohesiveness in the plan for the team at least for this season and the future. When the owner makes the pick call he is an idiot, there is none of that. 

If we'd have taken Daniel Jones I would have been legitimately discouraged. Dwayne at least by all reports is a very accurate passer if given time, and has done it not just in shorts. QBs are tough to gauge, but given our pile of poop at the position, I don't have an issue with us rolling the dice on Dwayne - especially not having to trade up to do it. 

This is the Redskins though, so we'll find a way to blow it. He'll either be good and we won't re-sign him or will send him out to get injured, or he'll suck really bad and we'll trot him out there for the 8 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Then what didn’t you like? He smoked almost everyone! His numbers vs Michigan -  top 10 D last year - and vs Northwestern - a top 25 D - in the Big 10 championship game were good. 

So, he played good to great defenses last year and played well vs them. Murray only played 3 good defenses last year with two games vs Texas and Alabama. Almost every week Haskins played a better defense. Drew Lock sucked vs SEC teams. He padded his stats vs avg or poor competition.

Pretty much everything that’s been listed as nauseam - inexperience, style of play for him (is it gimmick?), his build, footwork, and thus not being able to do much except from the pocket in the NFL, deep ball isn’t as good as some say, will he be capable of multiple reads?, and just my eye test of not loving what I saw. 

The little/ few highlights I've seen . He seems to move well within the pocket . I mean Big Ben ain't going to move out much either . Nor Brady. Escapability within the pocket is a nice attribute -See Tony Romo- he was eel slippery . He does has the big arm . Gets rid of it quickly from what I've seen .. 

IDK- Could bust ( probably will with our track record ! ) or maybe we found gold .. Let the kid play .

30 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

The little/ few highlights I've seen . He seems to move well within the pocket . I mean Big Ben ain't going to move out much either . Nor Brady. Escapability within the pocket is a nice attribute -See Tony Romo- he was eel slippery . He does has the big arm . Gets rid of it quickly from what I've seen .. 

IDK- Could bust ( probably will with our track record ! ) or maybe we found gold .. Let the kid play .

I'm kinda here with this one. While I share MKnight's hesitance over only one year of starting (I'd like to see more starts), I do like the tools he has shown. So maybe sitting this year (or most of this year) will help him.

• Like 1

No one around here wanted them to pick something other than QB more than I did.That being said,I am here to support the kid and hope for the best.I will wait and see what he does with what he is given.A decent line a LG away from dominance.ATM a 3 headed RB,Peterson,Guice and Thompson.Richardson and Doctson need help at WR.We need fresh blood at TE.But all in all a decent situation for him to grow into the system and league.I will wait and see while I do hope they got it right.Very stoked about Sweat.May get that jersey just to wear at work lol