2019 1.15 (15) Washington Redskins select QB Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

Woz

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

This reminds me so much of last off-season lmao. The Alex Smith crew came out in full force. 

Again, like but don't like. Really don't want to repeat last off season's non-stop bickering about the QB (which, yes, I contributed to).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Again, like but don't like. Really don't want to repeat last off season's non-stop bickering about the QB (which, yes, I contributed to).

The difference is the Alex Smith trade was an obvious disaster the second it happened.  Haskins is more of a question mark.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The difference is the Alex Smith trade was an obvious disaster the second it happened.  Haskins is more of a question mark.  

And the difference between a panic pick and a "let the situation come to you" pick.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:14 PM, MKnight82 said:

It wasn't a disaster until Alex broke he leg in 2. The team was 6-3 w/ Alex as its starter and probably would have finished the season 9-7 or if a few bounces went our way 10-6.

Alex wasn’t having as good of a season as he had in 2017 but most of that had to do with injuries to his playmakers and OL.

Just look at Cousins’s 2016 vs 2017 when in 2016 almost everyone on offense stayed healthy and then in 17 most of our top players got hurt and Djax & Garcon weren't re-signed. Cousins threw for 900 less yards in 2017 vs 2016.

Alex was going to end up with an avg type statistical season for him (3500 yds, 20 Tds) if he hadn't gotten hurt which I don't think is that awful considering all our injuries on offense and we may have won the division if he had stayed healthy or been a wild card team.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It wasn't a disaster until Alex broke he leg in 2. The team was 6-3 w/ Alex as its starter and probably would have finished the season 9-7 or if a few bounces went our way 10-6.

Alex wasn’t having as good of a season as he had in 2017 but most of that had to do with injuries to his playmakers and OL.

Just look at Cousins’s 2016 vs 2017 when in 2016 almost everyone on offense stayed healthy and then in 17 most of our top players got hurt and Djax & Garcon weren't re-signed. Cousins threw for 900 less yards in 2017 vs 2016.

Alex was going to end up with an avg type statistical season for him (3500 yds, 20 Tds) if he hadn't gotten hurt which I don't think is that awful considering all our injuries on offense and we may have won the division if he had stayed healthy or been a wild card team.

So yes, that’s a disaster. You don’t pay Alex Smith $90M to put up Case Keenum numbers. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So yes, that’s a disaster. You don’t pay Alex Smith $90M to put up Case Keenum numbers. 

I guess I just view things differently. There's no way they could have predicted Alex would have a catastrophic probably career-ending injury.

Also, he would have put up better numbers if our offense had stayed more healthy. More than likely near what Kirk did in 2017. Also, you have to consider Alex had less attempts than Kirk in 2017 bc we had Peterson and we ran the ball the ball more.

The tragedy of Alex Smith as a Redskins QB is not as black and white as many like to make it out to be. 

It's also seems to have worked out because it led them to finally drafting a first round QB to go with for the future!

Edited by turtle28

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I guess I just view things differently. There's no way they could have predicted Alex would have a catastrophic probably career-ending injury.

Also, he would have put up better numbers if our offense had stayed more healthy. More than likely near what Kirk did in 2017. Also, you have to consider Alex had less attempts than Kirk in 2017 bc we had Peterson and we ran the ball the ball more.

The tragedy of Alex Smith as a Redskins QB is not as black and white as many like to make it out to be. 

It's also seems to have worked out because it led them to finally drafting a first round QB to go with for the future!

Dude, take the injury out of it. I’m not even speaking about that. Alex was not working with the offense we were running. The health of the offense didn’t matter and he wasn’t improving. The offense was arguably getting worse as the season progressed which is remarkable considering how bad it was to begin with. 

I have no hatred for Smith and I feel awful about what happened to him. He seems to be a tremendous human being and most likely will have a long coaching career ahead of him. With that said, the trade was bad before the injury. He wouldn’t take chances and it was starting to frustrate Jay. This was never going to last. I’m willing to bet Jay wanted to give Colt a try before Alex got hurt but I can’t prove that and Jay was never going to be allowed to. 

Just think about it like this. Had they never made the trade for Smith we’d probably be 5-11 to 6-10. Still would’ve been in position to have the exact same picks we just had only we’d still have Kendall Fuller so we could’ve cut Josh Norman and we’d have a ton of cap space. Could’ve paid Crowder and signed Collins plus got this Scherff deal done. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Dude, take the injury out of it. I’m not even speaking about that. Alex was not working with the offense we were running. The health of the offense didn’t matter and he wasn’t improving. The offense was arguably getting worse as the season progressed which is remarkable considering how bad it was to begin with. 

I have no hatred for Smith and I feel awful about what happened to him. He seems to be a tremendous human being and most likely will have a long coaching career ahead of him. With that said, the trade was bad before the injury. He wouldn’t take chances and it was starting to frustrate Jay. This was never going to last. I’m willing to bet Jay wanted to give Colt a try before Alex got hurt but I can’t prove that and Jay was never going to be allowed to. 

Just think about it like this. Had they never made the trade for Smith we’d probably be 5-11 to 6-10. Still would’ve been in position to have the exact same picks we just had only we’d still have Kendall Fuller so we could’ve cut Josh Norman and we’d have a ton of cap space. Could’ve paid Crowder and signed Collins plus got this Scherff deal done. 

It doesn't even matter. I don't even know why I engaged in this discussion. You've hated the trade since it was made. Nothing is changing that opinion, especially now and it will never be proven that it was a good trade bc Alex will likely never play again.

Crap! Again, what weapons did Alex have to throw to?  W/ Prich’s broken clavicle, and Crowder & CT out for most of the season. I don't know how that doesn't sink in but it what it is.

Coulda shoulda woulda to the rest of it, can’t change what was done. They could’ve paid Crowder anyways, they just chose not to and they can get the Scherff deal done anytime. Extending him will lower his cap hit for this year. I think they’re waiting to make sure he’s 100% off his pec injury before they extend him. 

Edited by turtle28

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We were on our way to 6-4 with Smith. He was having an atrocious game against the Texans before he was injured. 

31 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Has anyone seen that Haskins family has started this Haskins & Haskins apparel brand?  It kinds of reeks of Big Baller Brand and has me concerned his family is going to be a real problem.  

Definitely a concern, but hopefully it doesn’t get as bad as Lavar Ball got. It won’t be an issue as long as Haskins develops into a good or great QB. It’s really all about his play on the field.