2019 1.15 (15) Washington Redskins select QB Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

Woz

On 4/29/2019 at 12:20 PM, MKnight82 said:

Has anyone seen that Haskins family has started this Haskins & Haskins apparel brand?  It kinds of reeks of Big Baller Brand and has me concerned his family is going to be a real problem.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/26/dwayne-haskins-redskins-first-round-draft-party-marketing-company-brand

Sounds like he has a good chance to tank the team and shakedown Skins fans while doing it. Snyder QB - possible GM candidate as well.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

This guy charted every pass himself from the QBs in every draft class since 2012.

Here's how Haskins ranks against the 2019 class:

Unless that guy is a Haskins family member or an employee of Ohio State, the Redskins, or Haskins’s agent — that’s pretty compelling stuff. 

The remarkable thing is that there are clear opportunities for him to improve his accuracy with some mechanical changes to his foot positioning and release. He could be even better with some high-level coaching. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Here's how Haskins ranks against the 2019 class:

For those whose eyesight might not be the best, columns and how Haskins stacks up:

• 0-10 yards accuracy percentage
    • Haskins = 81.51% [3rd behind Grier (83.73%) and Rypien (82.10%)]
    • within 5% of Haskins = Finley (79.17%), Murray (79.10%), Stick (77.53%)
  • 0-10 yards number of attempts
    • Haskins = 265 (1st)
    • within 50 attempts of Haskins = Minshew (255), Thorson (246), Finley (240), Lock (224)  [Jones just misses the cut at 214]
  • 11-19 yard accuracy percentage
    • Haskins = 65.85% (1st)
    • within 5% of Haskins = Stidham (64.44%), Lock (62.90%), Murray (62.64%)  [Stick and Thorson both just miss the cut at 60.61% each]
  • 11-19 yard number of attempts
    • Haskins = 82 [4th behind Minshew (105), Finley (99), and Murray (91)]
    • within 20 attempts= Grier (70), with Rypien, Stick, and Thorson tied for next at 66, and Lock at (62)  [Jones just misses the cut at 61]
  • 20+ yards accuracy percentage
    • Haskins = 55.56% [3rd behind Murray (60.00%) and Lock (58.18%)]
    • within 5% of Haskins = Grier (53.85%), Stick (53.06%), and Minshew (51.79%)
  • 20+ yards number of attempts
    • Haskins = 63 [4th behind Jackson (90!!!), Finley (68), and Grier (65)]
    • within 10 attempts = Murray (60), Minshew (56), Lock (55), and Rypien (54)  [Thorson just misses the cut at 52]

Thoughts (regarding the first six columns):

1. Haskins and Murray are the only QBs to place top 5 in all three ranges in terms of percentage. Haskins is only QB to get top 3 in all categories and is only behind Murray in long range accuracy. Otherwise:
    1. Lock (only mid and long range)
    2. Stick (only mid and long range (just misses the short range; at the same time, he just noses into mid and long at 5th))
    3. Grier (only short and long range (which is weird))
    4. Finley (only short range)
    5. Rypien (only short range)
    6. Stidham (only mid range)
    7. Thorson (only mid range)
  2. Notice a name that is barely mentioned at all? *rubs hands gleefully* (hint: he was drafted 6th)

Remaining columns

• Overall accuracy
    • Haskins = 78.96% (1st)
    • within 5% = Minshew (76.15% (*) ), Grier (74.31%),  [Murray just misses the cut at 73.94%; Stidham (72.70%) and Rypien (72.17%) trail after Murray]
  • Accuracy past line of scrimmage
    • Haskins = 74.39% (1st)
    • within 5% = Grier (71.10%) and Murray (69.82%)  [Rypien just misses the cut at 69.15%, with Finley behind him at 68.55%]
  • Accuracy >10 yards
    • Haskins = 61.38% [2nd behind Murray (61.59%)]
    • within 5% = Lock (60.68%) and Stick (57.39%)
  • Accuracy versus pressure
    • Haskins = 62.77% [2nd behind Lock (69.74%)]
    • within 5% = Thorson (60.47%) and Finley (59.38%)
  • 3rd and 4th down accuracy
    • Haskins = 81.25% (1st)
    • within 5% = no one
    • within 10% = Murray (73.56%)  [Thorson (70.64%) and Finley (70.40%) just miss the cut]
  • Interceptable pass percentage
    • Haskins = 1.74% [2nd behind Lock (1.69%)]
    • within 0.5% (it's pretty close) = Jones (2.10%), Stidham (2.15%), and Minshew (2.23%)  [Murray (2.27%) just misses the cut]

(*) I'm not quite clear how Minshew has the second best accuracy, but never qualifies for top 5 in any range.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Woz said:

(*) I'm not quite clear how Minshew has the second best accuracy, but never qualifies for top 5 in any range.

It looks like he didn’t include a section for passes behind the LOS. Haskins had about 120 attempts that weren’t accounted for, which I assume must have been passes behind the LOS. Which is a lot. By comparison, Murray had 92 such attempts, Lock and Grier each had 96, and Jones had 74.  

Minshew had about 240 attempts not accounted for. Which probably explains why his total accuracy number is so inflated. 

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

It looks like he didn’t include a section for passes behind the LOS. Haskins had about 120 attempts that weren’t accounted for, which I assume must have been passes behind the LOS. Which is a lot. By comparison, Murray had 92 such attempts, Lock and Grier each had 96, and Jones had 74.  

Minshew had about 240 attempts not accounted for. Which probably explains why his total accuracy number is so inflated. 

Yep.  He says that in one of his replies in the thread below.

Edited by HTTRG3Dynasty

15 hours ago, e16bball said:

13 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Yep.  He says that in one of his replies in the thread below.

Ah.

That's ... very odd for an offensive system and/or quarterback. And give his forward pass numbers, kind of hints to him basically being a blown draft pick. Yes, I know he was a sixth round pick, but if the guy cannot throw beyond ten yards with reasonable accuracy in college (goes from 74.51% to 55.25% to 51.79%), why would he be any good in the NFL as a QB?

On 5/2/2019 at 11:21 AM, Woz said:

Ah.

That's ... very odd for an offensive system and/or quarterback. And give his forward pass numbers, kind of hints to him basically being a blown draft pick. Yes, I know he was a sixth round pick, but if the guy cannot throw beyond ten yards with reasonable accuracy in college (goes from 74.51% to 55.25% to 51.79%), why would he be any good in the NFL as a QB?

They probably compared him to 6th overall and thought he must be a massive steal in the 6th round...

On 5/1/2019 at 5:23 PM, e16bball said:

Unless that guy is a Haskins family member or an employee of Ohio State, the Redskins, or Haskins’s agent — that’s pretty compelling stuff. 

The remarkable thing is that there are clear opportunities for him to improve his accuracy with some mechanical changes to his foot positioning and release. He could be even better with some high-level coaching. 

Yeah, I mean even if he doesn't get his feet positioned correctly, that release is still gonna give him accuracy issues and make the ball less catchable.

From what I can see, on his release he doesn't flick his wrist and follow through down to his opposite hip. Is that what you're seeing? Because when he doesn't the ball is ugly. And that is most of his passes from what I can tell. This is going to keep him from placing passes where he needs them to be.

The foot positioning issue is a big deal but not as big to me as his release problems. He doesn't get his feet facing the way he wants to throw, a lot. But that can be overcome. Lots of NFL QBs throw, for example -> when their feet are directionally aligned to the left sideline <- to the middle of the field. It's not cross body but the velocity may not be the same since you can't step forward and make the throw. You're kinda using your top half and bottom half as different platforms at that moment. But I saw him throw a few times in that very scenario and each time he flicked his wrist and followed through with his arm. Each time the ball was a perfect spiral and had some zip on it and each time it was a big gain (one was for a TD IIRC).

So if he can fix the very things you're pointing out, he can be a very good QB. 

If he can't...

On 5/5/2019 at 10:34 AM, ripsean21 said:

So when do we get our first look at like Rookie camp or minicamps of all the guys in shorts on the field

https://www.redskins.com/news/all-the-dates-for-the-redskins-2019-offseason-workouts

The Redskins will host their three weeks of OTAs on the following days:

• May 20-21, 23
  • May 28-30
  • June 10-12

The Redskins will also hold their annual rookie minicamp for players selected in the 2019 NFL Draft, college free agent signings and other invites from May 10-12 at the team’s headquarters. Finally, mandatory minicamp will take place from June 4-6.

Got to wait a bit longer, @ripsean21. But soon!