2019 1.15 (15) Washington Redskins select QB Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

Woz

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Wow, I think you're really taking my post out of context.  I was trying to say he was a bad pick at 15, but a solid football player with upside (but high risk).  Maybe we'll hit the lottery or maybe we won't with him (like every other Redskins fan I'll be routing for him to succeed).

Doesn't seem like your rooting for him to me and I'm making it known. 

Just now, Skins212689 said:

Thanks for posting your own inner hate on a guy who hasn't even stepped on the field yet, so typical! 

Read my posts, I didn't hate on him.  If anything you're hating on me, a fellow Redskins fan.  Its Draft week dude, we're all in this together.  Comrade is important.  I'm in the trenches with you bro.   

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Read my posts, I didn't hate on him.  If anything you're hating on me, a fellow Redskins fan.  Its Draft week dude, we're all in this together.  Comrade is important.  I'm in the trenches with you bro.   

Your in the trenches of being a hater. I'm not cool with that! 17.6 points a game isn't something to be proud of!!!

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Your in the trenches of being a hater. I'm not cool with that! 17.6 points a game isn't something to be proud of!!!

I'm entitled to my opinion, and honestly the Redskins record the past 20 years gives me reason to doubt.  You're hating on me more than I'm hating on the Redskins.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I'm entitled to my opinion, and honestly the Redskins record the past 20 years gives me reason to doubt.  You're hating on me more than I'm hating on the Redskins.  

I'm entitled to my opinion as well, and I'm gonna keep expressing my disagreement with your opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

The damn QBs last year didnt even average 200 yards Per Game and Mknight82 wanna talk this nonsense! 

What nonsense?  I called our Qbs last year garbage.  Maybe its the internet causing communication issues cause I don't think you understand me at all.  

I've made it known that I'm a proponent of tanking and that I prefer the group of quarterbacks that could be entering the draft next year.  There is a lot to dislike about Haskins- his slow 40 time, one year of starter experience, slower progressions and ball security issues, our offensive line offering decent pocket security- but there are some things to like.  

1.) He stepped up his play in big games.  He destroyed Northwestern, a very good defense, in the Big Ten championship game and was MVP of said game.  He was selected Rose Bowl MVP and was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy after shattering multiple records for OSU and the Big Ten.  

2.) While he does need to improve his speed of progressions, his accuracy stands for itself- 70% both in 2017 garbage time and his 2018 season.  The big-time arm is also there.  

3.) He's going to be motivated.  He went to high school locally, and has an established relationship with former Redskin Shawn Springs.  He's already on video laughing about the Giants picking Daniel Jones over him (I am doing the same) and he will play the Giants twice per year.......and has the additional motivation of 14 other teams passing over him.    

4.) The Redskins are also uniquely positioned to have multiple people assisting in Haskins' development.  While this could be a potential negative if the coaches don't work together and send the same message to the player, this also has the potential to work out extremely well.  Jay Gruden has his hands in the offensive gameplan and calling plays, leaving Kevin O'Connell additional time to work with Haskins, as well as new QB coach Tim Rattay and now senior offensive assistant Matt Cavanaugh, who has primarily worked with QBs over his coaching career.  This is a trio who could get Haskins ready to go sooner rather than later, keep his confidence up and make sure he can play the game efficiently. 

Haskins isn't perfect, but with the team desperately needing a QB and wanting to compete (this is a stated desire from ownership) I think they made the right call on this draft pick.  I've read up quite a bit on Haskins and watched a decent amount of film on him this off-season, especially over the last two weeks.  While I still prefer the QBs next year, the Redskins didn't trade up and got their "choice" on a franchise QB, and didn't give up anything for that player.  Now they have to go out and develop him and get it right on the field.   

I would've also preferred a WR if the team was trading up into the draft again to help Haskins out from Day 1.  However, Sweat was mocked in some cases to go to the Redskins at pick 15, so I can't argue with the value they got.  If nothing else, the team has learned to play the draft game well from Scot McCloughan, and I'm happy it seems they went BPA in that scenario.  

Edited by naptownskinsfan
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Exactly this.  And the fact that the potential Big Three next year (four if you count Jacob Eason) could easily put this draft class to shame.  The biggest wild card for me, despite not ranking it this way in my above post, is the coaching staff.  They've got the right guys to develop Haskins, if they give him the same message and work together with it.