With the 18th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Garrett Bradbury, C - NC State

SemperFeist

Solid pick for the Vikings, and probably someone the Vikings can pencil in for the next decade.  Not sure there's a TON of upside in there, certainly not in comparison to some of the other guys who were available.  But he's also significantly safer than the other guys.  Solid pick.

15 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

1st round LT, 3rd round LG, 1st Round Center, high paid RG, 2nd round RT

we pay no attention to the offensive line......

Not accurate:

High paid LT, 3rd round LG, 1st round C, high paid RG, 2nd round RT

So yes, they tend to ignore the OL until the last 3 drafts when it was in absolute shambles.  They didn't burn a 1 on Reiff any more than they burned anything except cap space on the new RG.  They SHOULD have drafted him instead of Kalil, and then you'd be accurate.

I thought this was a grand slam and the most obvious pick possible.  I was just hoping Zimmer wouldn't screw it up and take a CB or DE again.  Like last year when they should've taken OL in 1, and instead took a 4th CB.  They passed on some quality OL last year.  They should've doubled up OL in 1-2.  

56 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Solid pick for the Vikings, and probably someone the Vikings can pencil in for the next decade.  Not sure there's a TON of upside in there, certainly not in comparison to some of the other guys who were available.  But he's also significantly safer than the other guys.  Solid pick.

This reminds me of when we drafted Greenway.  Not a lot of excitement but likely a long-term contributer.

Just now, Freakout said:

This reminds me of when we drafted Greenway.  Not a lot of excitement but likely a long-term contributer.

Honestly kinda reminds me of Sullivan.  A guy whose going to be a solid starting C for the next decade.  Not much more, but not a position that you're looking to move on from anytime soon.

For what it's worth, this is a dream pick for the Vikings IMO.  I had him #3 on my wish list, or maybe more like 2b, behind only Nick Bosa and TJ Hockenson.  Bosa wasn't an option obviously, and Hockenson was until recently talked about as a guy going in the mid-first.  He would've been like a 6th OL, plus a great receiving TE.  Bradbury fills a bigger need though.  

I watched Bradbury quite a bit this year, and he really impressed me.  His movement skills are top notch.  The style of OL that the Broncos and Texans employed with Kubiak need guys like him, Elf and O'Neill, so it was a no brainer.  Bradbury was my favorite OL in the entire draft.  The Washington State LT would be my #2.  Lindstrom and Risner were next.  I was shocked to see Lindstrom go 14, so I was thinking exactly like Zimmer was quoted as saying, basically on pins and needles hoping that Bradbury would get to 18.  I know absolutely nothing about Kline, so I'm still wondering if Risner should be the target in 2 if he's available.  It would be nice if the Vikes would get their OL back up to the caliber it used to be known for years ago.  If Kline is any good it's on it's way there.  If not, better be drafting someone like Risner who can play 4 positions on the OL.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Big fan of this pick.

I hope people are happy that we got an OL, because my guess is we're going to not draft one again until round six.

I Agree with Gnat on this point. Probably looking at DL, WR, TE in the next 3 rounds (not necessarily in that order) The 6th and 7th rounds we’ll add another OL, RB, LB, CB (in any order). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly kinda reminds me of Sullivan.  A guy whose going to be a solid starting C for the next decade.  Not much more, but not a position that you're looking to move on from anytime soon.

Why do you think he has a low ceiling? 

Bradbury’s very athletic, I believe the highest RAS by position in the draft this year. He won the Rimington award. He was the consensus top C in the draft. He’s going to start week one. 

Sullivan was a 6th rounder, spent a year on the bench and was mediocre in his first couple of years as a starter. Not hard to imagine Bradbury doing considerably better than that.

Think there’s a very good chance that the Vikings OL will be much better this year than last, especially in the run game, even without further additions, just because of the coaching change. They were really disorganized last year, and I think that had a lot to do with losing Sparano. They have a couple of ideal Kubiak ZBS OL in Bradbury and O’Neill, and Elflein can be a plus if he bounces back.

If the OL (especially the run game) does improve significantly, Bradbury will get the lion’s share of the credit, just like Elflein did (more credit than he deserved) as a rookie in 2017. If the team as a whole bounces back as a contender over the next couple of years, the OL improvement will be a big part of that, and Bradbury will be getting Pro Bowl votes.

I can sort of see Packers fans dragging the pick for positional value, given that it’s a division rival and GB has an excellent track record with OL taken on day 3. But I don’t know where you get the “not much more than solid”. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Krauser said:

Why do you think he has a low ceiling? 

Bradbury’s very athletic, I believe the highest RAS by position in the draft this year. He won the Rimington award. He was the consensus top C in the draft. He’s going to start week one. 

Sullivan was a 6th rounder, spent a year on the bench and was mediocre in his first couple of years as a starter. Not hard to imagine Bradbury doing considerably better than that.

Think there’s a very good chance that the Vikings OL will be much better this year than last, especially in the run game, even without further additions, just because of the coaching change. They were really disorganized last year, and I think that had a lot to do with losing Sparano. They have a couple of ideal Kubiak ZBS OL in Bradbury and O’Neill, and Elflein can be a plus if he bounces back.

If the OL (especially the run game) does improve significantly, Bradbury will get the lion’s share of the credit, just like Elflein did (more credit than he deserved) as a rookie in 2017. If the team as a whole bounces back as a contender over the next couple of years, the OL improvement will be a big part of that, and Bradbury will be getting Pro Bowl votes.

I can sort of see Packers fans dragging the pick for positional value, given that it’s a division rival and GB has an excellent track record with OL taken on day 3. But I don’t know where you get the “not much more than solid”. 

Because doom and gloom is more fun?