With the 18th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Garrett Bradbury, C - NC State

SemperFeist

10 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

This probably moves Elflein to G. Does anyone think he should be handed a starting guard job though?

I don't think he'll be handed it, but I'm certain he can win it...with actually being able to have a full offseason training, which he hasn't had.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I don't think he'll be handed it, but I'm certain he can win it...with actually being able to have a full offseason training, which he hasn't had.  

That is my hope. It would be ideal if Elflein won the job.  My fear is that he, or one of the others, will get the job by default after nobody proves they deserve it.

8 hours ago, Krauser said:

Meanwhile drafting Bradbury forces Elflein back to LG. Yes he played there in college but his struggles vs power at C in the NFL don’t bode well for him improving in making a positional change that will force him to pass block DTs 1v1 more often, not less.

I saw that in your Tweet last night and almost responded to you there, but I think my post above addresses that point.  He has yet to have a full offseason in the weight room and training.  That should help him vs power...at least it should.  

I think that we are all victims of recency bias. Is it reasonable to think that Elflein might get better with a real NFL off-season rather than the rookie learning curve before year one, and then the injury rehab coupled with Sparano's death last year? I also think that a move to the Kubiak system will benefit guys like Elflein and Bradbury. I still have hope for him, and think that Bradbury playing center increases the odds of Elflein improving.

13 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think that we are all victims of recency bias. Is it reasonable to think that Elflein might get better with a real NFL off-season rather than the rookie learning curve before year one, and then the injury rehab coupled with Sparano's death last year? I also think that a move to the Kubiak system will benefit guys like Elflein and Bradbury. I still have hope for him, and think that Bradbury playing center increases the odds of Elflein improving.

I agree. Being healthy, having a full off-season, switching to a system that theoretically fits his strengths better, moving to the position he was best at in college, and playing between Reiff and Bradbury should all be big positives for Elflein going into the season. He is set up perfectly to have a bounce-back season. 

• Like 1

So I might’ve overreacted a little bit yesterday.  I think Bradbury will be a good player for us.  I just thought it was a no brained to take one of the OT’s over him.

Thinking about it more I do like this move and sliding Elflein to OG because we do like to pull our C at times on run plays and while Elflein was usually able to get there on time there were plays where it seemed like he was just step behind.  Bradbury is so fast that he won’t have that issue and sliding Elflein to OG could help him make up for that lost step.

Now please let us trade up a few picks today and get one of Jawaan Taylor, Cody Ford, Dalton Risner, or Erik McCoy!!!

• Like 1

like i said before the draft, i would've preferred taking a top rated tackle (dillard being available in hindsight) but bradbury was my top "secondary" choice.

i hope bradbury is as cerebral as advertised because his athleticism mixed with a good ability to recognize pressure/call protections could be a bigger improvement to the line than a great pass-blocking OT like dillard.

• Like 2

Tremble, fellow supplicants, at the wrath of Spielman. For some transgression mere mortals cannot hope to understand, Andre Dillard hath lost the favor of the gods and been sentenced to the purgatory known as Philadelphia. In a city that even Bill Burr could not help but condemn, little hope remains for him--for what doth it profit a man to gain the playoffs, only to lose his soul?

Be humble, young Bradbury, for thou art the fortunate one. Play as though Ragnarok itself were upon ye, and look long and hard at Dillard's departing shadow; there, but for the grace of Odin, goest thou.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

Zimmer said that Vikings assistant head coach/offensive adviser Gary Kubiak was very high on Bradbury. He said Kubiak had looked at a lot of college players last season when he was serving as an adviser for Denver.

Zimmer: “This was one of his favorite guys with the offensive group.  And I was sitting in my office one day and (defensive line coach) Andre Patterson was watching all the defensive linemen and obviously there’s a lot of great defensive linemen in the draft. And he came in and said, ‘Who’s this center from N.C. State. This guy’s a really good football player.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/25/vikings-go-with-garrett-bradbury-after-having-several-choices-among-offensive-linemen/

After sleeping on it, im good with the pick. Id still rather have had Andre Dillard, but ill take the best C in the draft. Dillard is no sure thing either, i have some concerns with his game (likely has a lower floor than Bradbury)

I think he could be a 10 year starter. My gut feeling was Bradbury, like i said two nights ago.