With the 18th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Garrett Bradbury, C - NC State

SemperFeist

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Trust me, it was probably the "right" pick all things considered.  Especially given how bad the Vikings have historically been with developing OL.

I can't even remember the last late round OL we developed. Danny Isidora and Rashod Hill are capable backups but not really starter level players. 

Maybe Nick Easton? Jon Sullivan..?

I'll give the Packers credit in that they are very good at finding late round OL talent and developing them.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I can't even remember the last late round OL we developed. Danny Isidora and Rashod Hill are capable backups but not really starter level players. 

Maybe Nick Easton? Jon Sullivan..?

I'll give the Packers credit in that they are very good at finding late round OL talent and developing them.

Fusco

• Like 1

Overview

Bradbury's body control, core strength, movement skills and intelligence check very important boxes for teams looking for immediate center help. His pass-pro tape against Clemson proves he can hold his own against a variety of pass-rush flavors while his strength and athleticism make him scheme flexible. He is a candidate to become an early and long-time starter in the league.

Strengths

• Good lean muscle mass and core strength
  • Former tight end with above-average athletic talent
  • Fluid mover who can reach, pull and climb successfully
  • Plus reactive athleticism for sudden switch from one block to the next
  • Impressive body control jumps off tape
  • Ready hands are quick to find target in run or pass
  • Grip strength to sn*tch [FF censored this word originally, haha], center and sustain blocks
  • Quick recognition/response against gaming defensive fronts
  • Won't over-set in pass pro and maintains mirror
  • Nose tackles catch those hands in their chest early in their rush
  • Footwork and upper-body power redirect gap rushers
  • Agility to recovery from a poor start to his rep

Weaknesses

• Falls slightly below NFL size averages for the position
  • Forward lean into pass sets could open him to counters
  • Regularity of punch mechanics make him predictable for hand-counters
  • Pass protection benefitted from quick game and play-action attack
  • Should give ground to gain ground on initial zone steps to prevent penetration
  • Rushes lateral movements at times
  • Run blocking gets top-heavy with excessive leaning
  • Doesn't get much movement as drive blocker
  • Won't be able to get away with grabs/holds on second level in NFL

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/garrett-bradbury?id=32194252-4109-2951-18e8-697b9ff5297c

Edited by vike daddy

Would one take him over James Daniels last year?  In terms of upside, I really liked Daniels last year and though he did well starting for the Bears as a rookie even if it was at OG. Or Frank Ragnow for that matter? I would not, I would possibly take him over Billy Price because I was not a giant fan of his but Bradbury is a similar player to Price is just a little bigger.  Will see how he does in this new run game blocking system, clearly are going to have to run a lot of stretch zone plays where he goes out and pulls around, too bad Cousins is not athletic enough to boot leg back off that action but will see.

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Would one take him over James Daniels last year?  In terms of upside, I really liked Daniels last year and though he did well starting for the Bears as a rookie even if it was at OG. Or Frank Ragnow for that matter? I would not, I would possibly take him over Billy Price because I was not a giant fan of his but Bradbury is a similar player to Price is just a little bigger.  Will see how he does in this new run game blocking system, clearly are going to have to run a lot of stretch zone plays where he goes out and pulls around, too bad Cousins is not athletic enough to boot leg back off that action but will see.

I don't agree with this at all. Cousins has good enough athleticism to boot off of stretch plays.  It also doesn't have to be a bootleg off stretch; just ask Peyton Manning.

Just now, RpMc said:

I don't agree with this at all. Cousins has good enough athleticism to boot off of stretch plays.  It also doesn't have to be a bootleg off stretch; just ask Peyton Manning.

Kirk Cousins is not Peyton Manning period.  He does not have the ball skills in terms of play fakes or the command of the huddle verbally at the line of scrimmage.  Peyton Manning had great ball fakes, amazing control verbally at the line of scrimmage with his cadence and command.  He is just a better player in every sense of the word, also is a much bigger player with much longer arms so making those stretch plays was way easier outside of just his better fundamental play in general.  

Cousins would have to greatly improve to be able to run that play effectively I feel.  He is not great at throwing on the move and his play fakes and verbal control at the line of scrimmage is so lacking compared to Manning there is no point to even compare them in any way.  

There was no direct comparison made, but read into it whatever you will.  It doesn't take high level athleticism on the part of the quarterback to run play, or boot, action off of outside zone; especially if you have an offensive line that moves well (which we are building with the likes of Bradbury and O'Neill) and have success running outside zone during the course of the game.

I've got a QB with a bad knee and hip, and we are able to run it just fine because of our line and success in the ground game. Cousins moves plenty well to be able to run it.

However, that doesn't seem to fit your view of things, so go ahead and continue to talk about verbal control.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 3

On 4/27/2019 at 11:26 AM, Ozzy said:

100% I would take him over any of those centers. Only James Daniels gives me pause in a zone blocking scheme but Bradbury is way more polished.