1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

CWood21

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

Oh hell yes. That play alone and his early career deserves a spot in packers HoF. But then the play against Kearse exists. I called that play before the snap. (Ill remember it for the rest of my life) Hes just outmatched at this point. 

I think Raven Green will step up and now Savage jr, at safety.   There's many CBs just wanted to highlight Tramon vs Atlanta 2010 

I like Savage as a prospect, but I hated the move up.  I think he or a comparable safety(Juan Thornhill has been my favorite safety) would have been there at 30 or even in the second.  

As I said in the Gary thread, I wanted us to get an OL at some point.  Ford at 30 would have been a great choice and preferable to Savage at 21.  

Although at least our defense has zero excuses now.  

Over these past few weeks I fell in love with two safeties...Juan Thornhill and Darnell Savage.

i was hopeful we could get one of them at 44, but I am no expert. Gute pegged Savage as the one he wanted, and had him not making it to 30.

tbh, I’m glad we got one of them. First time we’ve had a safety with wheels like Collins...since Collins. Hopefully Savage has a quicker transition to the NFL than Nick did. Nick didn’t start coming into his own until late year 2, year 3. (I’m gonna cross my fingers he gets #36, tho Raven would have to give it up)

Edited by n8ghee

In year 1 they’re gonna keep it simple for Savage. He’ll play deep most of the time mostly in cover 1 where he covers the whole back end or cover 2 where he covers half.

Amos is gonna get more lee way in year 1 to do more things

Tramon is an uber savvy slot corner and he’ll also get some leeway to play around inside

but all of that is made possible with fast corners on the outside and a fast free safety in the back. 

Savage and the corners are gonna open Amos and Williams to do what they do best and that’s to reak havoc in that grey space inside. They’re gonna toy with QBs

Edited by boratt

5 hours ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

IDK, Savage probably would have been there at 30...

Hell, he probably would've been there at 44 and even if he wasn't, we could've had Adderley there. Hell, Jawaan Taylor was still on the board and amazingly made it out of the first round. 

Call me crazy, but I actually like the Gary pick. They can move him and ZDS back and forth and he constantly commanded triple teams at Michigan and still created chaos (more than his stats would have you believe). If anyone's primed to be a better pro than college player, it's this guy.

23 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Pretty sure anyone saying he would’ve made it to 30 is ignoring the teams we traded in front of with safety need who traded down.

Correct. I think that was clearly a targeted move up. Like it or not - it appears GB wanted Savage first and foremost - figured BALT was gonna pick him - so they went and got him. If so - I approve the FO attitude. It's their talent eval that counts and they apparently have the strength of their convictions.