1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

CWood21

I think we got our guy to finally replace Nick Collins as a single high safety. Love this pick, wish we didn't trade up to get him. I understand the Packers had a lot more information about who might be interested in him and wanted to make sure they got their guy. 

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

How does anyone know how long Savage would have been on the board ??

If he turns out to be the next Nick Collins who cares? I am not sold on Baltimore wanting him since they went and got Earl Thomas, but Gute wanted THIS KID and got his guy. I have no issues with it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Ok yall. This is what I saw. Good man skills. Reads a QB very well. Jumps routes. Played the least amount of single high of all my guys. (Doesnt mean he cant) aggressive. Will jump doubles. Plows through people. Plays larger than he is. Good ball skills. Aggressive. Will lay the hurt on you. Agressive.

I read earlier in this post a comparison to Nick Collins but it seems like you just described Bob Sanders? Is this somewhat accurate?

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

If he turns out to be the next Nick Collins who cares? I am not sold on Baltimore wanting him since they went and got Earl Thomas, but Gute wanted THIS KID and got his guy. I have no issues with it. 

No one should. We HAD to have a safety and Gute got who he wanted. Sometimes it's better to pay a price to ensure you get your guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reaper said:

I read earlier in this post a comparison to Nick Collins but it seems like you just described Bob Sanders? Is this somewhat accurate?

Dont think he lays the hurt on anyone like Bob Sanders. He's more of a Nick Collins in the sense of his range and ball hawking skills.

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

Dont think he lays the hurt on anyone like Bob Sanders. He's more of a Nick Collins in the sense of his range and ball hawking skills.

thanks for the info..I didnt look too much into him just the highlight reels everyone else watched on the big networks. This should be a fun defense to watch hopefully they can get it together so we arent picking so early next year.

1 minute ago, pacman5252 said:

After sleeping on it, I’ll say I still don’t like the trade up. I get addressing a need though and I see what they are seeing in Savage. He’s the fastest S in the draft with sticky coverage who probably wouldn’t have been there at 30.

1. Guessing the Packers had inside information telling them he wouldn't have been there at 30.

2. The price was right to move up. I love more picks, but if this was his guy, you go get him. 

• Like 3

Can't see how anyone can not be happy with this pick. When you turn on the tape all this guy does is fly around and hit people. He's Alexander at Safety, guys a ball hawk.

Would've loved to have one of those 4th's to snag Isabella but oh well.

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Can't see how anyone can not be happy with this pick. When you turn on the tape all this guy does is fly around and hit people. He's Alexander at Safety, guys a ball hawk.

I think you're going to have to take him with the 2nd/3rd anyway, but I feel ya.

I love the pick. He's the guy I was afraid to make my top safety because of hoping he could be our NC 2.0

And I really don't think they jumped anyone. Don't see anyone taking him besides Seattle. Raiders got their guy.  Everyone else being patient in the deep Safety class.

But I am ok with it. I just see the ghost of Collins having everything to do with the jump. I get it.

38 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I think there’s still a chance to slip into the 4th. Maybe a trade back in the 2nd or 3rd could net us a 4th rounder.

2 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

I love the pick. He's the guy I was afraid to make my top safety because of hoping he could be our NC 2.0

And I really don't think they jumped anyone. Don't see anyone taking him besides Seattle. Raiders got their guy.  Everyone else being patient in the deep Safety class.

But I am ok with it. I just see the ghost of Collins having everything to do with the jump. I get it.

We had to jump the Ravens we wouldn't have been there. We got the fastest Safety in the draft and one who loves to hit people.

Here's where I am at.  GB got "first pick" of the safeties, so they got the guy that they feel best fits their system.  I'm good with that.  Still...if safety was the target at #30, you have to think that they had Savage THAT MUCH HIGHER than CGJ or Adderly.  

My personal feeling is that I dig the player, disliked the trade.  I would have been fine with either Savage, CGJ or Adderly at #30...while keeping our two fourths.

I watched a little Savage, didn't see Collins.  Because Nick would hit guys.  Savage grabs them and falls down.  He's not a hitter, which is fine, just not Collins.  Both did have ball hawking skills, which I really like.

Amos can play both near the LOS and back in space.  I think he's better closer to the LOS.  Savage is better deep.  So I like the pairing.

Safety was a huge hole and it is filled.  Now I hope that GB trades down to try to get a fourth back.