CWood21

1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

All the praise was Jones in his athleticism, and none of it was on his mind.  I think Rodgers in his praise even said he wants to see him in pads.  

This with Savage is different.  If you can’t tell the difference between the Josh Jones praise and the praise being given to Savage, you’re probably a pessimist.

Those things Tramon said about him are probably the most exciting words of praise I have ever heard for a rookie.

I seem to recall the praise came in his ability to take on a fullback and still back a "tackle" in practice.  In other words, he drew some praise for his physical-ness at the line of scrimmage in run sets.  I think our fullback at the time, maybe it was Rip, commenting about what a tough SOB Jones was.  I do not recall any praise about his football IQ or his ability to cover a receiver or space.

But yah, pretty excited about Savage.  I'm going to temper that because it will take him time back there, but that is to be expected.

47 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I seem to recall the praise came in his ability to take on a fullback and still back a "tackle" in practice.  In other words, he drew some praise for his physical-ness at the line of scrimmage in run sets.  I think our fullback at the time, maybe it was Rip, commenting about what a tough SOB Jones was.  I do not recall any praise about his football IQ or his ability to cover a receiver or space.

But yah, pretty excited about Savage.  I'm going to temper that because it will take him time back there, but that is to be expected.

Yeah Jones early hype was how athletic he was for his size and that he is a missile to the ball. Can't cover though. I'm not sure why our staff even lists him as a S as he's a LB, but just like Damarious we're stubborn there. We've either wasted a pick on Burks or Jones and sadly it could be both. They're both athletic as hell, Burks has high football IQ, but I question how tough he is. Whereas Jones there is no questioning his toughness or attitude, he's kind of a prick out there, he wants to light you up and then get in your face, but he just doesn't see it out there.

Savage has football IQ and the fact he knows the playbook already is impressive. He should start this year and most likely will. When you pair elite athletic traits with the kind of IQ praise Savage is getting, there's some real deserved hype there. Everyone who had him as the #1 S in the draft should pat themselves on the back.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:07 AM, Packerraymond said:

Savage has football IQ and the fact he knows the playbook already is impressive. He should start this year and most likely will. When you pair elite athletic traits with the kind of IQ praise Savage is getting, there's some real deserved hype there. Everyone who had him as the #1 S in the draft should pat themselves on the back.

gbdlh6pz3xyyg5xva98x.jpg

If I wasn’t Rashan Gary’s biggest fan,  this guy would be getting so much more hype from me. 

4.36 is nice. Savage also plays every type of coverage well and tackles too. He’s also smart, driven, instinctive, confident and connects well with teammates. Outside of being 196 pounds he doesn’t have a weakness.

He’s the only rookie starting on Pettine’s second year defense. There’s a good pass rush in front of him. It’s always hard for a rookie to play right away, but Savage is in a perfect situation to play well early. 

Savage is going to have his ups and downs, S in the NFL is a lot faster and more punishing than S in college, but it's hard not to be excited about his potential.  That man's ability to see it and hit it is the kind of thing I love in a safety; we haven't had someone who can click and close like that since Collins and Woodson left.