1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

CWood21

I love the player and think he is the perfect compliment to Amos. He was my pick for 44. Did we need to trade up to 21 to get him? We will never know for sure but Gute has a better idea about that than we do.

This should significantly impact our secondary and defense as well. 

Those thinking we should be getting offense to help out AR, a better D will get him the ball more often and better field position. But yeah, I'm ready for some offensive help. Works the other way too - good offense =longer possession = defensive rest.

I love the pick, and think it has a chance to be really valuable, *IF* Gute scouted effectively, and of course *IF* he stays healthy.  So, kind of "love it if it works!" kind of viewpoint.  :)

A fast, sticky-coverage, smart, high-effort, willing-to-tackle competitor.  Just what the safety position has been lacking for years.  It's all about the scouting, of course, so I have no clue.  Speed does not equal coverage skills; but this guy apparently scouts to have both.  Likewise talent without quick and accurate decision-making/diagnosis doesn't always play out well.  But there seem to be indications Savage may be a smart, instinctive player who can make reads and figure out where to go and can apply his speed very quickly and intelligently.  If that's all true, having another high-end coverage guy will be so, so valuable and welcome, and giving the team an asset, 3-down safety will be great value for the duration of his Packer employment.

*IF* that's what we get from him, I'm sure not going to consider two 4ths and #30 to be an overspend. 

I don't honestly trust Gute and his scouts, at least not yet.  But it's pretty evident that they evaluated Savage to be at a very different level from the other safeties.  If they thought several of the safeties were almost interchangeably good, with variable strengths and variable less-strong aspects, then of course you don't trade up.  But clearly the act proves the evaluation:  that they viewed Savage at a significantly superior plateau than the Adderly and Thornhill and Abrams etc. alternatives.   Teams are wrong all the time, and Gute's guys may be way off on this.  But I'm hoping they nailed the pick.  

Certainly they've invested a ton of work on this.  They absolutely knew that safety was a huge, urgent priority, and that with picks 30 and 44 and a strong pool of safeties suited to that area of the draft, that they were going to have a chance to select a good one; and to perhaps maneuver up or back to situate a need-meets-BPA selection of one of them.  So I can't even imagine how many hours and hours and hours of film study and background work they much have done on the main candidates.  And not just highlight-film study.  Can't have been an uninformed evaluation.  

Hopefully all of that research will have led to an excellent selection.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Here's where I am at.  GB got "first pick" of the safeties, so they got the guy that they feel best fits their system.  I'm good with that.  Still...if safety was the target at #30, you have to think that they had Savage THAT MUCH HIGHER than CGJ or Adderly.  

My personal feeling is that I dig the player, disliked the trade.  I would have been fine with either Savage, CGJ or Adderly at #30...while keeping our two fourths.

I watched a little Savage, didn't see Collins.  Because Nick would hit guys.  Savage grabs them and falls down.  He's not a hitter, which is fine, just not Collins.  Both did have ball hawking skills, which I really like.

Amos can play both near the LOS and back in space.  I think he's better closer to the LOS.  Savage is better deep.  So I like the pairing.

Safety was a huge hole and it is filled.  Now I hope that GB trades down to try to get a fourth back.

No doubt they do.

I'm not at all sure other teams do. But I see the difference there. I have Savage, then Thornhill. Both played corner. Both can cover slot. Savage has the speed for single high (and that's a question on Adderly -- and I don't like his injury). I get it. Just don't think they needed to move up. Not worth that price for a guy you are taking a huge swing on, and at a position like safety. He was worth a swing at 30. But we got our guy. I'm ok with that.

I would love to see the Ravens' board but I don't think they were taking a safety with just signing Thomas. They were absolutely determined to take another high risk at WR as far as I can tell. That's a team that tends to lock into a position each draft. Both DK and Campbell (who I think was their best fit for their QB) were rumored to be high on the Ravens' board. And some predicted Campbell, most Hollywood as the first WR.

Only team I have taking Savage was the Raiders and I think they got their guy. Gute was seeing ghosts imo -- just my opinion.

Not sure I'm wishing for trade-back.  There are a lot of good players left, and the 12th pick in this round has a chance to get a very good, useful player.  

**IF** you were to hit big on both Savage and Gary, and **IF** you were to hit big on either the 2nd or 3rd round selection, I won't look back with regret on the draft, that's for sure.  

But yeah, having a couple of 4th's would have been super nice.  So many positions that want help, hard to do that with only two more picks until the 5th round where you aren't likely to get good players, and if you do they won't be likely to contribute for a couple years.  

O well.  

After a decade of ignoring the offense, and seeing an offense that is aging and lacks much asset talent outside of Rodgers (whose excellence at this point is also very much questionable... if his accuracy is gone, he can't locate the deep ball, and his decision-making is lacking, how excellent is he actually going to be?  I don't know......), I had hoped to add good young players at each of OL, TE, and WR, maybe RB too.  With only two more picks till the late rounds, the offensive talent is going to get ignored yet again, as always.  

Sure hoping Rodgers can get his accuracy back, and put the ball on the spot to EQS and MVS and Kumerow and Allison, and that those guys can be ready to be serious playmakers.  

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

I'm getting real tired of reading comments from people who don't watch college football and started following the draft like a week ago say Savage would have been there at 30 or 44. How the hell do you know?

You should have been here when we drafted Nick Collins.  He would have been available in the 6th round.  Even the report of the Ravens literally calling us and giving us grief for stealing him did not disrupt those opinions. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

I love the player and think he is the perfect compliment to Amos. He was my pick for 44. Did we need to trade up to 21 to get him? We will never know for sure but Gute has a better idea about that than we do.

This should significantly impact our secondary and defense as well. 

Those thinking we should be getting offense to help out AR, a better D will get him the ball more often and better field position. But yeah, I'm ready for some offensive help. Works the other way too - good offense =longer possession = defensive rest.

Pretty sure Baltimore wanted him bad. Notice how quickly they traded down once we selected Savage.

I would've went with another Safety, but I've been warming up to Savage over the last week. Just don't like giving up what we gave up for him...

Series of events:

Packers trade up to 21, one pick ahead of Baltimore.
Baltimore trades down to 25.
Eagles draft Dillard.
Texans draft Tytus Howard.
Raiders draft Jacobs, then three picks later draft Abram. 

Anybody who thinks we would have gotten Savage at 30th clearly would not pass Divination 101. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Series of events:

Packers trade up to 21, one pick ahead of Baltimore.
Baltimore trades down to 25.
Eagles draft Dillard.
Texans draft Tytus Howard.
Raiders draft Jacobs, then three picks later draft Abram. 

Anybody who thinks we would have gotten Savage at 30th clearly would not pass Divination 101. 

And the Colts we're also considering Savage at 26 according to Demovsky.

• Like 1