1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

CWood21

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm getting real tired of reading comments from people who don't watch college football and started following the draft like a week ago say Savage would have been there at 30 or 44. How the hell do you know?

You don't know he would or wouldn't have been there.  Neither do I.  The results of the first round kind of point to him not being there.  Personally, I was good with CGJ, Adderly, Savage or Hooker, wherever they would be taken.  So I'm not overly upset about it.  My issue is that I'd have preferred CGJ or Adderly and our picks versus Savage.  Hindsight being 20/20 and all.

Still, safety was the biggest hole we had.  It is now filled and GB got "their" guy.  I'm happy about that.  Plenty of draft left to go.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You don't know he would or wouldn't have been there.  Neither do I.  The results of the first round kind of point to him not being there.  Personally, I was good with CGJ, Adderly, Savage or Hooker, wherever they would be taken.  So I'm not overly upset about it.  My issue is that I'd have preferred CGJ or Adderly and our picks versus Savage.  Hindsight being 20/20 and all.

Still, safety was the biggest hole we had.  It is now filled and GB got "their" guy.  I'm happy about that.  Plenty of draft left to go.

That's my whole point. Many are guaranteeing he would have been there at 30, when they don't know. So I'm glad we're in agreement.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I always seem to like the Packers' second draft pick, regardless of spot or round, far better than the first. Happens nearly every year. Not last year, or the year with Kenny, but most other years.

and the 3rd pick is typically trash 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That's really only just speculation.  He could have been there at 30, or he couldn't have.  Either way, let's not pretend like we gave up much to move up.  We gave up 2 fourth round picks to move up 9 spots.  That's good value by just about any metric.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Here's where I am at.  GB got "first pick" of the safeties, so they got the guy that they feel best fits their system.  I'm good with that.  Still...if safety was the target at #30, you have to think that they had Savage THAT MUCH HIGHER than CGJ or Adderly.  

My personal feeling is that I dig the player, disliked the trade.  I would have been fine with either Savage, CGJ or Adderly at #30...while keeping our two fourths.

I watched a little Savage, didn't see Collins.  Because Nick would hit guys.  Savage grabs them and falls down.  He's not a hitter, which is fine, just not Collins.  Both did have ball hawking skills, which I really like.

Amos can play both near the LOS and back in space.  I think he's better closer to the LOS.  Savage is better deep.  So I like the pairing.

Safety was a huge hole and it is filled.  Now I hope that GB trades down to try to get a fourth back.

You hit the nail on the head with they got their choice of safety, but I'm not sure what's not to like about the trade.  We should have had to given up another 4th round pick to make the value closer, and 4th round picks are easily recouped by moving down today.  And the comps to Nick Collins need to stop already.  Not fair to him, and going to give us unreasonable expectations.  Remember, Nick Collins was garbage his first few years in Green Bay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

You hit the nail on the head with they got their choice of safety, but I'm not sure what's not to like about the trade.  We should have had to given up another 4th round pick to make the value closer, and 4th round picks are easily recouped by moving down today.  And the comps to Nick Collins need to stop already.  Not fair to him, and going to give us unreasonable expectations.  Remember, Nick Collins was garbage his first few years in Green Bay.

Don't get me wrong, Cwood21, I'm THRILLED that GB got to get first crack at the safeties, so they got their guy.  Me, just being a guy who watched film on YouTube, also liked CGJ and Adderly a lot.  I was good with either of those three (and even Hooker later) and I would have preferred they stay at #30 and taken one.  But either way, I'm happy.

I'm less happy about giving up the two fourth rounders, regardless of trade value, because I value the fourth round this year.  I hope that GB can work the draft to get a fourth back.  In my mind, that is a nice round to take a WR or RB.  I think a few good ones will be there.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Don't get me wrong, Cwood21, I'm THRILLED that GB got to get first crack at the safeties, so they got their guy.  Me, just being a guy who watched film on YouTube, also liked CGJ and Adderly a lot.  I was good with either of those three (and even Hooker later) and I would have preferred they stay at #30 and taken one.  But either way, I'm happy.

I'm less happy about giving up the two fourth rounders, regardless of trade value, because I value the fourth round this year.  I hope that GB can work the draft to get a fourth back.  In my mind, that is a nice round to take a WR or RB.  I think a few good ones will be there.

CGJ was the guy I thought they would be high on the most, but I also understand the risk.  He's really only got 1 year of high level of play, so naturally you've got concerns about whether he was playing up for his draft stock.  I'm not sure he does anything at an elite level, but he's also not really going to have any major issues in any way either.  Adderly is probably the rangiest of the 3, but he struggled badly at the Senior Bowl and tested poorly.  You can't do both of those as small school DBs and expect to go high.  If he would have done well in those two, he probably was a Day 1 pick but now he's probably headed towards the middle of Round 2 or not later.  To me, this seems like they had Savage as their top ranked safety.  I'd rather the Packers be active and grab their guy than just let the board fall and take the leftovers.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

giphy.gif

Anyone getting any HHCD vibes from this guy? Me neither.

Wonderful cut up. Kid checks all the boxes for me. In the crap shoot that is the draft i like what Gute did, he wanted his guy and went and got him. Everyone freaking out about the 2x4's big deal we don't have near as many holes or starter openings as some feel. Depth is needed still but every starter roll has a good solid starter right now. Having a top 5 D changes this team and we have added 5 awesome pieces anyone not absolutely blissful about our D needs to take another look at what we now look like week one will be freaking awesome.

Edited by PACKRULE
  • Like 1