1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

CWood21

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You hit the nail on the head with they got their choice of safety, but I'm not sure what's not to like about the trade.  We should have had to given up another 4th round pick to make the value closer, and 4th round picks are easily recouped by moving down today.  And the comps to Nick Collins need to stop already.  Not fair to him, and going to give us unreasonable expectations.  Remember, Nick Collins was garbage his first few years in Green Bay.

I think people need to cool their jets a bit when they knee jerk and say they moved up too high or gave up too much to get a prospect. In this case, the prevailing thought was Pick 27 was going to be a S. Green Bay felt compelled to get ahead of pick 27 to get the S they wanted before Pick 27 potentially took the guy they wanted.

The next step is to find a trade partner that holds a pick before 27. They found a team willing to deal at an affordable cost to leap frog Pick 27 to get their guy. It does you no good to say well just get to pick 26 and pick there - if the teams that hold the picks in front of 27 are not wiling to deal or make reasonable demands in a trade up, you are stuck at 30 and probably not getting the guy you want. That is the reality of how the draft room works and leads to the outside appearance of "over drafting" or "reach" knee jerk reactions when the reality is it was not at all - it is simply the cost of doing business to get the guy the draft room covets.

• Like 2

Positive stuff from Mcbinn. ( can't post it all)

AFC scout: “I think he’s really good. He (compensates) for size) with his speed and explosion. Earl Thomas was short, too. He’s a hitter. He and (Juan) Thornhill are a horse apiece.”

AFC scout: “He’s a little guy but he played bigger. He was a pretty good thumper. He can run. He has shown some ability to cover and play the ball. Maybe a safety-nickel combo.”

NFC scout: “He’s a good player and a good kid.”

NFC scout: “He’s a really good athlete. He can play nick at the next level. Just not very strong. He’s smart. He plays physical for his size but he’s not real strong. Gets run through. He still needs polish in the deep part of the field. Best athlete of the safeties.”

NFC scout: “He can do about everything. He really reminded me of Lamarcus Joyner.”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Positive stuff from Mcbinn. ( can't post it all)

NFC scout: “He can do about everything. He really reminded me of Lamarcus Joyner.”

Zierlien must've talked to the same scout...

The thing about the Packers taking Savage at #21, is that if they liked several of the other single-high type safeties (CGJ, Thompson, Thornhill, Adderley, possibly Hooker)  they could have waited until at least a couple of them had gone, before looking to trade up.The fact that they didn't do that, but gave up 2 x 4th to go get him, clearly says (to me) he was absolutely THE GUY they wanted, not just one of several. He seems just as much the guy as Alexander was Gute's guy, last year.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

giphy.gif

Anyone getting any HHCD vibes from this guy? Me neither.

Hahahaha. Yes.

Maybe that's what really got him the bump on the board. The antiHaHa factor. That part of his game really stood out as compared with similar guys in the draft......and  speed.... 

I expect they will break him in slowly. But he can play all the spots really

21 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The thing about the Packers taking Savage at #21, is that if they liked several of the other single-high type safeties (CGJ, Thompson, Thornhill, Adderley, possibly Hooker)  they could have waited until at least a couple of them had gone, before looking to trade up.The fact that they didn't do that, but gave up 2 x 4th to go get him, clearly says (to me) he was absolutely THE GUY they wanted, not just one of several. He seems just as much the guy as Alexander was Gute's guy, last year.

May have been the last guy in their FRP tier.

16 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Interesting Gute said in his presser that this wasn't a deep Safety class. Tells you he didn't value a lot of the Safety's this board did.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

You know you've made an impact when they stop blocking the playside corner on alley runs and tell their WR to consider you first threat.

giphy.gif

Not to be Debbie Downer. But one of my biggest cons with him was "dude's gonna get destroyed on PA."

Quoted the wrong gif though

Edited by Norm