1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

CWood21

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

Not to be Debbie Downer. But one of my biggest cons with him was "dude's gonna get destroyed on PA."

Quoted the wrong gif though

he does have this ability similar to Jaire where he can just close on a ball seemingly out of nowhere. that 4.3 speed plays well on the field. so if he does make a mistake i expect him to be able to recover some of the time and make the play. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

CGJ was the guy I thought they would be high on the most, but I also understand the risk.  He's really only got 1 year of high level of play, so naturally you've got concerns about whether he was playing up for his draft stock.  I'm not sure he does anything at an elite level, but he's also not really going to have any major issues in any way either.  Adderly is probably the rangiest of the 3, but he struggled badly at the Senior Bowl and tested poorly.  You can't do both of those as small school DBs and expect to go high.  If he would have done well in those two, he probably was a Day 1 pick but now he's probably headed towards the middle of Round 2 or not later.  To me, this seems like they had Savage as their top ranked safety.  I'd rather the Packers be active and grab their guy than just let the board fall and take the leftovers.

I like that opinion, the last sentence.

My opinion is a little different.  Sometimes I post like what I think GB will do, sometimes I post as what I would do.  They know a lot more than I do.  That's why I'm good with it and can still say that I'd rather they have kept the fourth round picks.  No big deal.  I'm just thrilled, today, to have that safety hole filled.  And I think he can cover and help out there, too.

57 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Hahahaha. Yes.

Maybe that's what really got him the bump on the board. The antiHaHa factor. That part of his game really stood out as compared with similar guys in the draft......and  speed.... 

I expect they will break him in slowly. But he can play all the spots really

I can't help but see the college tape of Damarius Randall here.  Only Savage throws his body in there better.  Which is a combo that I very much like.

54 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Interesting Gute said in his presser that this wasn't a deep Safety class.

Safety class gets a lot shallower when you eliminate guys, who are good players, because they can't do certain things you want to do.  Like I just don't think they were in on Rapp or Abram because they already have a "do not take me out of the box" guy in Josh Jones.

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Safety class gets a lot shallower when you eliminate guys, who are good players, because they can't do certain things you want to do.  Like I just don't think they were in on Rapp or Abram because they already have a "do not take me out of the box" guy in Josh Jones.

There are only around 10-15 safeties with a >8 RAS. Savage is the worst athlete, I believe, we've taken in the first three rounds since M. Adams.

22 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

He's a 9.25 RAS and a 128.2 SPARQ, and neither of those are bad.

Definitely not implying he's a bad athlete. But just a lesser one compared to his peers than we've taken in a couple of years. 

BTW I've got that he's 8.3 RAS, the one @mathbomb on twitter posted was unofficial.

D3sFJ1I.jpg

Edited by deathstar

The draft used to be on a Tuesday and Wednesday and started at 8 am.  I had to ditch school and go over to the neighbors to watch because we didn't have cable yet. If you had a draft magazine you were rockin it. Our rotary phone hung on the wall but had a 10 foot cord 

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Definitely not implying he's a bad athlete. But just a lesser one compared to his peers than we've taken in a couple of years. 

BTW I've got that he's 8.3 RAS, the one @mathbomb on twitter posted was unofficial.

D3sFJ1I.jpg

Should have a * by the 8.3, really drug down by H/W and bench. Those don't really factor in as much IMO.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think OT needs more back of the roster depth, project players than WR

I think WR needs more immediate/blue chip help

Except that there is NO blue chip WR talent this year.  Our second year WRs are as good as any WRs left. JMO.